Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which streaming device do you prefer?
Amazon Fire stick 191 59.13%
Google Chromecast 40 12.38%
Apple TV 25 7.74%
Inbuilt apps of my Smart TV 51 15.79%
Other (please specify in your post) 16 4.95%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2020, 20:13   #61
BHPian

Re: Amazon Fire Stick vs Google Chrome Cast vs Apple TV : Your choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
FireTV and Chromecast both. FireTV though gets the most use on account of it having a remote. I don’t yet have the latest chromecast with Google TV and Remote. Once I get that, I’ll pretty much switch to Chromecast full time. The FireTV interface is not the smoothest and search function very inefficient.

For some reason it never finds installed apps. If I search for complete keyword “hotstar”, it still doesn’t list it. If I navigate the app lis manually I see hotstar and it works. Not something to have a heartburn but is annoying. Thankfully I don’t install many apps.
I suggest you install the app called ""AppStarter" as that become your gateway to see all the apps installed in a nice way and it won't show any of the "cloud" apps which aren't really installed in your fire stick. Then you only have to go in this app to access any other app.
Old 30th October 2020, 20:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
When you say "smart box", do you mean those random no name brands that sell on aliexpress and even amazon and such? Because if those don't have actual android tv interface, they usually run tablet version of android and they don't even have L1 DRM in most cases so your popular apps like netflix won't even play HD.
I'm not aware about the specifications of generic smart boxes. I'm sure there will be some generic devices with good specs as well. In my post I was more of pointing to budget smart boxes/sticks like fire TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Airtel xstream/internet tv and yes generic devices as well but excluding Apple TV, Nvidia TV and costly devices like that as I'm not aware as to how they will age. Best guess is that they will too need a replacement before the TV does.
The point I'm making here is that it's better to buy a smart box(any) then to buy an android smart TV in my opinion.
L1 DRM is also absent in some phones due to cost cutting.
Old 30th October 2020, 20:31   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker48 View Post
I'm not aware about the specifications of generic smart boxes. I'm sure there will be some generic devices with good specs as well. In my post I was more of pointing to budget smart boxes/sticks like fire TV, Chromecast with Google TV, Airtel xstream/internet tv and yes generic devices as well but excluding Apple TV, Nvidia TV and costly devices like that as I'm not aware as to how they will age. Best guess is that they will too need a replacement before the TV does.
The point I'm making here is that it's better to buy a smart box(any) then to buy an android smart TV in my opinion.
L1 DRM is also absent in some phones due to cost cutting.
Yes I do concur with you that a separate box is definitely the way to go. I use Mi TV which is smart tv but still we have fire stick attached to it.
About the L1 DRM, you know it is free to get from google or so and still some brands don't get that.
I am baffled that my amazon fire 7 tab doesn't have L1 so Netflix doesn't play HD in it.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 21:04   #64
BHPian

I have been using the chromecast (1st gen) for the last 6+ years and extremely used to it. Recently bought a firestick for my sister. Me, being a person with smartphone always at hand, prefer the ease of use of chromecast. It support a good number of apps and switch over from mobile to TV and back is too easy. However the main drawback is lack of a remote control. Meanwhile my mother prefer Firestick as she no need to use the phone to play a movie or control the volume.
I haven't used Mi Stick, but going by the spec sheet, looks like it provides best of both world. They advertise it has cast support built in and still comes with a remote controller.
Old 30th October 2020, 23:55   #65
BHPian

I voted for In-built option however, I use Google Chromecast as well. Circa, 2013-14 when Smart TVs were not around, Chromecast saved the day and I still prefer for its simplicity. Even my parents love using Chromecast for the same reason.

Recently, I have purchased Chromecast V3 with the remote (Finally, The Google God has answered our prayers !!!). I must say V3 is quite advanced compared to the last 2 versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Amazon Fire Stick vs Google Chrome Cast vs Apple TV : Your choice?-cs.jpg  

Pacific is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 09:05   #66
BHPian

Apple TV is my choice. I shifted to Apple TV many years ago when they launched the V2 and then upgraded to 4K In 2017.

Why I love it?

It was and is ahead of time. Had 4K long before others caught up
Pays off over time as having Apple TV saves ₹ while upgrading panels. One doesn’t need a panel with whole lot of processing power. Like I could switch to a Phillips 58” at just 35K. This particular TV didn’t have great apps and Linux OS. I didn’t need any of that because Apple TV has better apps and experience.
Ecosystem benefits - Spatial Audio with AirPods Pro. There’s nothing like it. Similarly HomeKit CCTVs notifications straight to the screen without any apps etc makes the experience a whole lot better

What I terribly miss in terms of features is the ability to do video calls via Apple TV. I find it surprising that despite multifold increase in video calling demand in 2020, none of the boxes have an inbuilt camera

Last edited by Rajiv0909 : 31st October 2020 at 09:16.
Old 31st October 2020, 09:40   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
When I switched to a brand new Sony 55 TV last year, I was very particular that the TV should not be on Android OS due its inherent laggy nature. So I bought one with a Linux OS, which I dont use anyway, and the default interface is of the Apple TV.
I have both apple tv and an android TV and after the android update last month, my 2015 Bravia w800c is working well, fast too! BUT the apple tv is smoother and a tad bit faster to respond and has voice control that my stock tv remote doesnt have. The apple tv setup is with a soundbar and the apple tv remote controls the soundbar volume directly . IT's seamless. But IdK if it's worth the extra Premium taxx. The only gripe is the remote with both of them, the touch pad on the apple tv remote is gimmicky and a little inaccurate. I had the older apple tv and the button remote was far better. The android tv remote is unnecessarily big now that we don't have Cable TV anymore.

I think this thread is only for people with old TVs. The android tv has everything. And I think new tvs with airplay 2 and android tv both are perfect.

I have a 2013 55w800a sony bravia smart tv, I think same one that samurai has. It has youtube and netflix but they crash often and the youtube app is too laggy. The fire tv stick looks like a nice option but I don't want another laggy interface. I think I'll go with the new chromecast since navigating on phone is easier than remotes. but I'd still want a remote. Fire stick is tempting since we use alexa stuff and amazon services a lot but it seems slow.
Old 31st October 2020, 12:22   #68
BHPian

Amazon Fire all the way. Bloody brilliant device.

- Terrific interface and content bundle.
- Seamlessly integrated to the amazon eco system.
- Value for money.
- Very well designed IP stack for streaming content consumption. Automatically works around network limitations to give the user best experience.
Old 31st October 2020, 13:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Are they comparable versions? Most of the above posts that compare these gizmos don't mention the version. Older hardware is obviously less capable.
True, Chrome can't really be compared with FireStick. The thread needs options that include more indipendent external devices like the Mi TV Box.

Edit : Infact, despite being close to 4.5 years old, Chromecast hasn't needed to be upgraded.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 31st October 2020 at 13:54.
Old 31st October 2020, 14:54   #70
1:1
BHPian

If you want to setup a serious Home Theater system then Apple TV 4K is the way to go. Leave aside apples eco system. Apple's movie library is the biggest no one else comes even close. They are even upgrading existing movie purchases to 4K UHD for free with support for 7.1 audio formats.

If you are just watching movies on just the TV and planning to upgrade your TV in next 4-5 years then go with the cheapest option as most of the latest TV's are smart tv and will support most of the features anyways.
Old 31st October 2020, 16:35   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
I have a Sony Bravia smart tv at home since last four years. Have been very happy with video as well as audio. One problem though. No prime/hotstar etc.
I did the same thing as you with a similar Sony Bravia TV without Prime/Hotstar. But I purchased the 2020 Fire TV Stick with remote control that can control the TV as well, like power, home, vol +- etc that cost ₹2,399 in the sale a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is a non-Android Bravia Smart TV?
I don’t know about the rest of the Bravia TVs, but I have the Sony Bravia KDL-32W700B bought in 2014, which I believe is android based, which I am figuring out today in the software license info, thanks to you. Some custom ROM with a custom App Store other than Google Playstore. And doesn’t support Prime/Hotstar or even side loading any newer apps, maybe we can? But I got a Fire TV Stick instead.

I have been wanting to get a Google Chromecast but I didn’t like the fact that it lacks a remote & I need to use my mobile all the time. Also a newer Chromecast was recently released with a remote & a dedicated android based OS, Google TV. But not sure when they will launch it in India. It would have nicely paired with my existing Google Home Mini.

Coming to the Amazon Fire TV Stick, it’s slick to use. No slowdowns whatsoever. Even when switching to different apps multiple times. I used to consume the content on my iPad & Laptop, now with this I have started to consume the content on TV. I actually forgot how brilliant Sony makes their Bravia TVs.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 18:32   #72
BHPian

I have nVidia Shield Android TV and two smart TVs both having in-built apps for Youtube, & Amazon Prime. I do not like Apple eco system and never wanted to be bound by it. I like freedom. I require the media player to play whatever I throw at it. Until few years back I used to watch movies with an external media player. But now, this is done mostly with TV itself. Samsung's 8 series seems to have some smart buffering/streaming technology which perform well when compared to for e.g. nVidia Shield. I do not own Amazon stuff other than a Echo Show and a smart camera for some monitoring. Never felt a need for any other Amazon media device since Prime is built in in Samsung Smart TVs already.

Lately, seldom switch on TVs. Even IPL is boring and hardly watched total 30 minutes or less in this season. Kids watch satellite TV still as Disney still is a good option there. I heavily depend on Youtube for my binge watching and sometime Amazon Prime for Jack Ryan and Hanna :-) I like only these two series and do not mind watching them in mobile as well.

TV is disappearing from our lives slowly for sure.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 02:32   #73
BHPian

Have been using Firestick 4k for the past 11 months. Compared to the OS that is bundled with the "smart" TVs, I've found it to be more smoother and responsive. Displays content in 4k HDR or UHDR whenever it's available. All the newer shows and movies are generally in 4k these days and I've found that if the 4k icon is displayed on the poster, it 100% will play in 4k or UHDR on the TV. Had researched a lot before settling on the one from Amazon.
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:32   #74
BHPian

Having multiple TV's and a Projector at home, I have used the following devices:

3 Chromecasts (2 first gens, 1 second gen)

+ Wide support for casting across almost all devices / apps.
- Since these came without dedicated remotes, having to keep checking my phone to do simple tasks is irritating.
- All chromecasts at home randomly disconnect from my network even though every other device is still connected. Have to restart the router for the chromecasts to be visible on the network again. This is my biggest gripe with the chromecast.

4 Firesticks (3 second gen, 1 4K)

+ Most widely used devices in the house due to their flexibility and ease of use.
+ Voice remote is probably the most convenient way to search for content.
+ Works seamlessly with the Echo Dot, can control all smart devices (even my non-tech savvy parents have no problems using Alexa).
+ Amazon's custom UI is pretty snappy with only the occasional lag which is expected on most Android devices.
+ Access to a whole lot of content using sideloaded apps / VPN services.
+ Incredibly VFM for the features it offers.
- UI can get laggy after prolonged usage, a restart usually solves this.
- Playing 4K video does result in a stutter occasionally.
- Batteries in the remote die out very quickly, even while using alkaline batteries.

Apple TV 4th Gen

+ Seamless integration with my other iOS / Mac devices.
+ Picture quality is the best among all devices I have used so far. (The other day I was streaming a live IPL match on the Apple TV through Hotstar and the framerate and PQ were miles ahead the Chromecast / Firestick).
+ Sound quality has more detail / depth (anyone using this in a dedicated home theater will know what I'm talking about). If using TV speakers it doesn't matter.
+ Streaming local content over the network is incredibly smooth.
+ iTunes library has a good selection of movies, cheapest way to own a 4K movie in India with the best bitrates available.
- Siri doesn't work in India, have to resort to a workaround which defeats the purpose of having a high end media streamer.
- Expensive (duh!)

Even though I have the superior Apple TV 4th Gen and use it the most, I voted for the Firestick

Last edited by 97_Octane : 2nd November 2020 at 16:34.
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:15   #75
BHPian

I use a Firestick for my Non-smart Samsung TV and also have a MI smart TV. The UI of the Mi is seriously cumbersome compared to the simple Firestick interface.

Also, another thing I have noticed is that the voice recognition and pickup is much better in the Firestick than the Mi remote.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks