Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which streaming device do you prefer?
Amazon Fire stick 191 59.13%
Google Chromecast 40 12.38%
Apple TV 25 7.74%
Inbuilt apps of my Smart TV 51 15.79%
Other (please specify in your post) 16 4.95%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 14:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amazon Fire Stick vs Google Chrome Cast vs Apple TV : Your choice?

Fire TV is the first choice for me. The recent sale saw the lowest version being priced at some 2400 whereabouts. (Lite without TV controls).

On the contrary, Mi TV stick was costing 1999/- on the 1st day of Flipkart's BBD sale and it also has TV controls. When I checked online comparison videos, Fire TV is ahead in terms of usability interface, speed etc, but MI stick is not too far behind. It is a good choice if you want to be away from Amazon's ecosystem and want a pure android- Chromecast like experience. (it has in built chromecast)

I also have the 2nd gen Chromecast which was my primary device. I was forced to opt for the Fire stick a couple of years ago since the Prime android app did not have casting until a year ago.
The next gen of Chromecast will be launched soon which will come with a remote control like the Firestick.

Apple TV or any product from the Apple ecosystem which is ridiculously overpriced v/s the value it supposedly provides is out of my list.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There is a non-Android Bravia Smart TV?
We have a 32" led Sony Bravia smart tv for almost 30grand, which has youtube and Netflix. And a few other apps that nobody uses. This was in 2016.
Also got same one in 43" for dad the next year

He too was complaining of the same so got him a Vu 32 inch android for bedroom. That's good too. But sound or video is nowhere as close to Bravia!
Old 30th October 2020, 03:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- It has a remote control (when will Google understand its importance?).

-
They already heard you, and launched a Model last week or so with remote.

I have been using a fire stick but i don't find it very smooth.. lots of lag for non prime streamlng. Not a TV person so I prefer my mobile.

Thinking of going for Phillips 70 inch on Flipkart sale, does anyone has experience with their SAPHI os? I mainly want to use it for iphone mirroring for my parents for big screen video conference with kids.
Gurgaon_lyon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 08:17   #19
BHPian

Used to have a Chromecast. Was too buggy and slow. Also changing WiFi networks was a huge pain. Now have two Firesticks and stopped recharging Tata Sky! They are a breeze to use.
asingh1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 09:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Amazon Fire Stick vs Google Chrome Cast vs Apple TV : Your choice?

I have been using a Apple TV for 2 years now, and have made it my default TV OS post dumping Tata Sky a year back! Why Apple TV? Well, if you are already in the Apple eco system like iPhones and iPads then its just a matter of convenience and ease of use.
Also, in the 2 years I have used the Apple TV, there have been no instances of any hang ups, just like any iPhone. So user experience is seamless! Plus, the Apple TV remote doubles as a gaming joystick,I dont use it like that much, HU occasionally I can the remote as a gaming joystick for games like F1 and the likes.

When I switched to a brand new Sony 55 TV last year, I was very particular that the TV should not be on Android OS due its inherent laggy nature. So I bought one with a Linux OS, which I dont use anyway, and the default interface is of the Apple TV.
motorworks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 09:43   #21

I would recommend to buy FireTV stick for the excellent support Amazon provides. If you have issues in running the product you can call them. They will take the product back if it doesn't work with your TV for any reason. They are committed to keep it going for long term and continuously adding content, apps and features for India.
agelesstravelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 09:58   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Firestick any day. Main reason being it independent of the Phone. Also, the ease of connecting to different networks.

Absolutely love the UI too..
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:03   #23
BHPian

Was in the market for a TV two years ago. The obvious target was 'smart tv'. We were set on Sony Bravia series, as we found its images to be best in class.

But then comes the next big call, 'smart' or non-smart. The cost difference between full HD tv and equivalent 'smart' version was over 10,000 ! I decided to go for full HD (4K was still relatively new and obnoxiously expensive) set with alternative streaming set-up. Finally set on Amazon Fire Stick given its versatility and support for most VOD services. The total package cost less than an equivalent 'smart' tv.

Decided against Google Chrome cast despite its many utilities simply because it will lock up one mobile if we are to watch Netflix or Amazon Prime, and along with it the issue of continuous charging of one's mobile.

The Fire stick has been hassle free for the last 2 years. Given I had a prime membership much before I bought it, I got it for a real good price. It also makes taking a prime membership more VFM.
amitayu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:07   #24
BHPian

I have a Fire stick and Apple TV at home.

Firestick is fast and slick.

But AppleTV has other advantages like a lot of small games as well. I am not talking about console grade games. But quite a few games for kids and casual games for adults.

Firestick needs its own remote. AppleTV can be controlled with an iPhone or an iPad as well.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:24   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Have multiple options. Have an LG Smart TV with the WebOS interface and it is very good. Most common apps are available and they all work smoothly.

My airtel digital TV box is also a 'smart' box and has a lot of the apps. But the interface is terrible and extremely slow and basically unusable.

For my 2nd tv I had a Chromecast and recently got a fire stick. I prefer the fire stick purely because it is self sufficient unlike Chromecast where there is a dependency on another device to cast from.

Vote here is for fire stick as only one can be chosen.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:28   #26
BHPian

Chromecast all day because more apps have it integrated (and even if they don't you can still cast your entire phone screen). In comparison, Fire stick apps are very limited.

eg. I cast cult-fit workouts on my TV using chromecast.

But yeah, having a remote would have been great. Now the new gen chromecast has it. Might upgrade if it launches at a decent price.
batladanny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have the Chromecast since 2016. I'd bought 2 GCC units & 1 went kaput last year - this made me try the FireStick. Best decision.

For watching content, FireStick having its own processing ability & remote makes it useful. OS is seamless & never hangs. One can even add external storage via an OTG cable connected through the MicroUSB Power port.

Although Prime Videos can even be cast with GCC, I've only been using Chromecast for presentations (via my phone/laptop screen onto the TV with Screencast/Chrome browser).
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:41   #28
BHPian

Voted for "Others".

When I decided to make my 2014 non-smart Samsung 32" TV to a smart one, I had a detailed feature comparison of all these options. What I understood was, these are for internet-based streaming only but do not support local DTH and I needed something to support DTH too.

Since I have Airtel DTH, I needed one box which was all-inclusive (i.e., DTH + Streaming). So, I just upgraded my Airtel DTH box to Airtel XStream 2 months back. It comes with DTH capabilities + all other internet apps that anyone would want. Looks like it worked best in my case. And yes, I paid Rs. 1,999 only (for the XStream box + fitment + installation all inclusive).
palsaumik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:45   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I have the Chromecast since 2016. I'd bought 2 GCC units & 1 went kaput last year - this made me try the FireStick. Best decision...
Are they comparable versions? Most of the above posts that compare these gizmos don't mention the version. Older hardware is obviously less capable.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 10:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsaumik View Post
Voted for "Others".

When I decided to make my 2014 non-smart Samsung 32" TV to a smart one, I had a detailed feature comparison of all these options. What I understood was, these are for internet-based streaming only but do not support local DTH and I needed something to support DTH too.

Since I have Airtel DTH, I needed one box which was all-inclusive (i.e., DTH + Streaming). So, I just upgraded my Airtel DTH box to Airtel XStream 2 months back. It comes with DTH capabilities + all other internet apps that anyone would want. Looks like it worked best in my case. And yes, I paid Rs. 1,999 only (for the XStream box + fitment + installation all inclusive).
I second what palsaumik said, the Xstream Box solves the problems of having multiple devices being needed for the TV. Even we paid ₹1,999 which was only for the box and installation. It has all the IoT apps along with DTH and supports a few games too. Also have the added advantage of Chromecast and a proper remote.
The only negative is that like a regular DTH box, it is not movable to different locations.

Last edited by akash_v12 : 30th October 2020 at 10:47.
akash_v12 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks