Team-BHP - The Home Appliance thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Home Appliance thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/23174-home-appliance-thread-101.html)

Maple Range of Products

Does anyone have experience with maple range of products. I am interested in their hand-blender. Appreciate feedback from any existing users of the product.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anku94 (Post 2102922)
Hi. I desperately need a very good alarm clock. One that can literally wake up a dead body.

Your best bet is a mobile phone that plays MP3. Play an irritating song if you want to be aggressive during the day & a melody when you want pleasant mornings.

Oh!!! & most important thing is that, your best alarm clock is YOU. Everyone has a biological clock within & once you start listening to it, you don't need an alarm clock anymore or rather, if you decide to wake up the time the alarm rings, no one can stop, other than you.

Point - don't waster money on alarm clock unnecessarily :); cultivate the habit of waking up to the alarm clock on the phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 2100967)
Dunno; to be frank, if they had asked me if I am interested in a different model within 2 or 3 days of reporting, I may have agreed; but not now. Everybody here is miffed with LG, and I am defenceless, since I was the one who did not allow the ladies of the household to look at other brands.

Has anybody heard of Indesit (in India)?

I also have a question - does higher RPM in the spin-dry mode mean less moisture in the clothes?

I am NOT asking about the proper dryer function, where the clothes are supposed to be 100% dry.

The LG model was supposed to spin at 1200 RPM in the drying mode (the normal one, not the proper dryer mode), and my old outgoing IFB one spins at 800 RPM. I was given the story by sales men that higher RPM during spin cycle means drier clothes. With the only load we had on the LG machine, it certainly did not look like higher RPM means less moisture content after the spin cycle.

Any different experiences?

Min SPIN RPM of LG Front loading Washing Machines is 1150 RPM.
Max is 1400 RPM, it depends on what model you buy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2103020)
Your best bet is a mobile phone that plays MP3. Play an irritating song if you want to be aggressive during the day & a melody when you want pleasant mornings.

Oh!!! & most important thing is that, your best alarm clock is YOU. Everyone has a biological clock within & once you start listening to it, you don't need an alarm clock anymore or rather, if you decide to wake up the time the alarm rings, no one can stop, other than you.

Point - don't waster money on alarm clock unnecessarily :); cultivate the habit of waking up to the alarm clock on the phone.

Hmm...thanks. Let's hope that works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2103020)
Oh!!! & most important thing is that, your best alarm clock is YOU. Everyone has a biological clock within & once you start listening to it, you don't need an alarm clock anymore

Yep. Mine is infallible and I always wake up around 11.00 or 12.00 in the morning. That never impressed my employers, so I had to do something. At one time, I had a music system on a time switch that woke me up with Wagner every morning.

The trouble with biological clocks is that everybody's is personal. Those who have one that fits in with things like office hours are lucky.

anku94, have you tried putting the/a cell phone under your pillow, on vibrate mode?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 2103622)
Yep. Mine is infallible and I always wake up around 11.00 or 12.00 in the morning. That never impressed my employers, so I had to do something. At one time, I had a music system on a time switch that woke me up with Wagner every morning.

And did you know why this happens? Its because of irregular patterns of life. Say, if, one has breakfast, lunch & dinner everyday at 7:00, 13:00 & 19:30, then eventuall the clock starts ticking the hunger at these times. Same is the case with sleeping & waking up.

Quote:

The trouble with biological clocks is that everybody's is personal. Those who have one that fits in with things like office hours are lucky.

Same as above

Quote:

anku94, have you tried putting the/a cell phone under your pillow, on vibrate mode?

IMO, keep it as far as possible so that you HAVE to get out of bed to put it off. But again, if your mind decides to live with the sound, then nothing can be done.

Anyway, try getting an alarm clock from Favre Leuba; I used to have one about a decade+ ago & it worked like charm, never failed to wake me up & also the ring (normal bell) had something smooth & did not sound like sky collapsing down.

Quote:

]And did you know why this happens? Its because of irregular patterns of life
Nope. It happens because we are all different, and were never extruded from a 9-5 mould! It is true that regularity can be imposed, of course: decades of work did have its effect on my "clock". Now, when I go to UK, the time-zone difference means I go to bed same time as everybody else for a while , but, given a month or two (without work, etc) I creep back to my own nocturnal pattern.

It was a big problem, especially in younger days, when I was less willing to give myself sufficient hours sleep. Thankfully, I no longer need to worry about it.

Closer to topic ;) --- If I did have to, I'd look into one of these devices that simulates dawn in your bedroom. Of course, it would be cheaper to just sleep with the blinds open!

Quote:

Originally Posted by anku94 (Post 2102922)
I hope you now know what kind of alarm clock I need. I saw one on the net that launched a projectile when it was supposed to ring, and than rang loudly, and did not stop until you got up and re-inserted the projectile back in its place. I need something like that.

Any suggestions ?

What you need is for the projectile to come and hit you HARD lol:

Otherwise, get your girlfriend to call you at the time you need to get up. The knowledge of the fact in your subconscious mind that she would call at the set hour will ensure that you are up before the call comes through.

Quote:

I'd try, but what worries me is that if the vibrations don't have an effect on me, the volume will get reduced due to the pillow and I'll probably have another 10-hour nap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 2103652)
And did you know why this happens? Its because of irregular patterns of life. Say, if, one has breakfast, lunch & dinner everyday at 7:00, 13:00 & 19:30, then eventuall the clock starts ticking the hunger at these times. Same is the case with sleeping & waking up.

That's the problem, I know. Due to various reasons, I can't have a fixed schedule and thus the problem.

Quote:

IMO, keep it as far as possible so that you HAVE to get out of bed to put it off. But again, if your mind decides to live with the sound, then nothing can be done.
The problem is not that I heard all those alarms and then slept again, rather it's that I never noticed that the phone was ringing.

Quote:

Anyway, try getting an alarm clock from Favre Leuba; I used to have one about a decade+ ago & it worked like charm, never failed to wake me up & also the ring (normal bell) had something smooth & did not sound like sky collapsing down.
The 'luxury watchmaker' tag is a big deterrent. I think I'll have to rely my mom to call on the landline from her work and make me talk for 2 minutes until I am wide asleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 2103766)
Closer to topic ;) --- If I did have to, I'd look into one of these devices that simulates dawn in your bedroom. Of course, it would be cheaper to just sleep with the blinds open!

I've tried sleeping with the lights on !! But I'm as good as dead while I'm asleep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 2103791)
What you need is for the projectile to come and hit you HARD lol:

:uncontrol

Quote:

Otherwise, get your girlfriend to call you at the time you need to get up. The knowledge of the fact in your subconscious mind that she would call at the set hour will ensure that you are up before the call comes through.
That solution has actually multiple benefits. I even drafted an advertisement for that and posted in my Facebook album. Quite a shock that was, when I received no response. [Alright, that was expected]

Quote:

Originally Posted by anku94 (Post 2104624)
That solution has actually multiple benefits. I even drafted an advertisement for that and posted in my Facebook album. Quite a shock that was, when I received no response. [Alright, that was expected]

Young man, log out, turn off your computer, go out in to the actual physical world and buy a girl some coffee or popcorn or whatever it is that is in these days. I meant a real live girlfriend not a virtual one. I will share with you something that my uncle told me when I was maybe your age, valuable words and so true whether you are 14 or 41.
"Feeble hearts don't fair maidens win".
So stop hiding behind your PC and go out and find one so that she can wake you up or even better, keep you awake ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by khoj (Post 2104877)
Young man, log out, turn off your computer, go out in to the actual physical world and buy a girl some coffee or popcorn or whatever it is that is in these days. I meant a real live girlfriend not a virtual one. I will share with you something that my uncle told me when I was maybe your age, valuable words and so true whether you are 14 or 41.
"Feeble hearts don't fair maidens win".
So stop hiding behind your PC and go out and find one so that she can wake you up or even better, keep you awake ;)

Yes sir ! That is on the top of my priority list when I get to college. :uncontrol

anku uncke, you in school and finding it hard to wake up at 9.00 AM???

Too early to get married and too late to get off the computer, eh?

I think I have the right choice for you.

Get a 2500 PMPO 5.1 speaker set; and a good sound card. Install the sound card on your computer.

Install LINUX on your computer. (that will teach you more than a couple of things, nothing to do with your query).

Identify the worst genere of music / cacophony, and convince yourselves to BUY it. (no, dowhloading from the net is illegal).

Write a cron job (just 2-3 words) to play that music at the time you want to wake up. Make sure that teh speakers are on at full volume.

Of course, with Windows task manager, things is very easy, but the computer may crash between the time you set it, and time for playing the noise comes. That is why I said use Linux.

Err.... I cannot think of a more complicated answer!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 2106275)
anku uncke, you in school and finding it hard to wake up at 9.00 AM???

Too early to get married and too late to get off the computer, eh?

I think I have the right choice for you.

Get a 2500 PMPO 5.1 speaker set; and a good sound card. Install the sound card on your computer.

Install LINUX on your computer. (that will teach you more than a couple of things, nothing to do with your query).

Identify the worst genere of music / cacophony, and convince yourselves to BUY it. (no, dowhloading from the net is illegal).

Write a cron job (just 2-3 words) to play that music at the time you want to wake up. Make sure that teh speakers are on at full volume.

Of course, with Windows task manager, things is very easy, but the computer may crash between the time you set it, and time for playing the noise comes. That is why I said use Linux.

Err.... I cannot think of a more complicated answer!!!

lol:

No, actually, you could. You could ask me to build myself a Rube-Goldberg machine, like something from Back To The Future - 1.

Anyway, given the track record of Punjab's power supply, I wouldn't dream of having alarm clocks that need live power to work.

We finally got the refund for the LG washer dryer, exactly one month after we purchased it.

There are some disappointments and some good things to say about the experience.

Best thing is that LG actually has a replacement policy in place, unless the horrendour 6 years we have spent with IFB. With IFB, in spite of major parts replaced within first 3 months, we were refused replacement.

With LG, we were very blunt - no way we are keeping this machine because we got a fault with first wash; and they were courteous enough to accept it back and agree for replacement. Even I was confused when they finally said "refund"; instead of a new machine. It turns out that since same model / similar spec machine was out of stock, the company policy is for refund.

Now, LG deserves a pat in back for that.

Power out, will post details later.

Got home an LG vacuum cleaner, bagless, 17oo watts.