Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 17th May 2019, 18:00   #271
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Crashed Hard Disk - Data Recovery?

Maybe some one can suggest something. Have an old hard drive which has a lot of important files. I password protected/ put them in a secured folder etc , the files for obvious reasons. Down the line the pc where the hard drive was installed met with a bad accident but I managed to salvage the hard drive. Now I have the hard drive but not aware of the software I used to create/ hide my files on it. Also, the disk has crashed and makes a mechanical sound when connected to a power source.
Any way of recovering the files. This would be of immense help to me if there is a way of doing this.
bigron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 18:13   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
The password was set on the WD application itself. And the old laptop isn't easily accessible to me rite now to copy the files. Hence wondering if there's any other way!
I am not sure you have a way out if this what you used Setting up and using WD Security and WD Drive Utilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Now I have the hard drive but not aware of the software I used to create/ hide my files on it. Also, the disk has crashed and makes a mechanical sound when connected to a power source. Any way of recovering the files. This would be of immense help to me if there is a way of doing this.
Connect the hard drive to another machine and check if it is recognised. If yes, then simply copy the data to another drive. The click of death is a bad sign. Do this ASAP before the drive dies completely.

If it is NOT recognised the controller may be faulty or the disk may have suffered internal physical damage. Data recovery by yourself is doubtful. You will need to seek the help of a professional data recovery service which can be prohibitively expensive.

@abhi7013, @bigron - Gents, I cannot stress this enough - ALWAYS backup your data. Fact - hard drives and even SSDs fail, it's only a matter of time. If you encrypt your hard disk and forget the password say goodbye to the data especially if you used a military-grade encryption algorithm like AES. Think about it, if it were easily recoverable then a password and resultant security would be pointless, right?
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 18:28   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I am not sure you have a way out if this what you used Setting up and using WD Security and WD Drive Utilities

@abhi7013, @bigron - Gents, I cannot stress this enough - ALWAYS backup your data. Fact - hard drives and even SSDs fail, it's only a matter of time. If you encrypt your hard disk and forget the password say goodbye to the data especially if you used a military-grade encryption algorithm like AES. Think about it, if it were easily recoverable then a password and resultant security would be pointless, right?
Yes, that is the software that i have used. I do agree with you on the backup part. A security feature wouldn't have much value if there was a work-around.

Anyways, only option left is to get hold of the old system and copy the data onto another drive and erase it completely.
abhi7013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2019, 18:29   #274
Senior - BHPian

@R2D2 - I think I ve lost my data for good then. I do remember using a pretty solid encryption tool to hide the data. Also, the hard drive does not get recognized when I connect it to another system. It intermittently spins but does not show as a device. I approached a data recovery professional and it was indeed very expensive. Not that, the files are of such nature I am scared to leave it to a third party vendor for recovery.
bigron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 17:10   #275
BHPian

Any recommendation for a good data recovery expert in NCR with reasonable costs. Don't wish to deal with likes in nehru place.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2019, 17:25   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
good data recovery expert in NCR with reasonable costs.
Unless it is a simple fix, you will find yourself having to take a hard line on the the value to you of your data. Recovery does not come cheap: it is very expensive.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:43   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Any recommendation for a good data recovery expert in NCR with reasonable costs. Don't wish to deal with likes in nehru place.
Data recovery is very expensive and unless you really deem the data to be very important I would suggest just buying a new drive and backing up from start.

At the cost of repetitition - ALL drives fail at some point. A 4-5 year old Corsair SSD in one of my home desktops failed last week and was replaced. The PC was up and running within 15 minutes thanks to Macrium Reflect a backup and imaging software I swear by.

Always backup your data preferably to multiple repositories (USB drive, internal drive, NAS) and even the cloud for disaster recovery.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:59   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

I might have posted about it at the time. I don't really remember now, but I think that the data-recovery for a dead hard disk was something like 70,000. I did have backups, but not as recently as I thought. The delivery photos of my then-new car were not worth 70k, and most else was backed up. I had to decline.

What really stung was that I am a retired systems manager. I let myself down badly, with no excuse whatsoever. I am more careful now.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote