Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2022, 15:57   #31
BHPian

Re: Smart Locks – When are you ditching your keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
How is the wiring done for these locks? Isn't it to cumbersome to pass the wires through the doors and to the power outlets?
Most smart locks are battery-operated, and the batteries last for four to six months. The low battery alarm triggers when it is time for you to replace the batteries, and the replacement does not require any reprogramming of the lock.

When the batteries fail or drain, you can power the lock from the outside through a proprietary or a USB port (via a mobile charger or a power bank) or a 9V battery connector and unlock using your programmed options. The type of backup power option provided depends on the model of your lock. A mechanical key can also open the lock if it comes with it. Simple locks that do not have any power backup option or mechanical key, auto-unlock when batteries fail or drain.
UPS_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 16:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
How is the wiring done for these locks? Isn't it to cumbersome to pass the wires through the doors and to the power outlets?
we have a Yale lock which has a finger print reader, a key pad for pin and a key option if none of the others work. Been working well for the past 6 years.
It cost us about 45K if I remember right.
it takes a bunch of AA batteries and a 9V can be connected from outside if the main batteries are dead. It has some options to connect to an app but I have not enabled these as I am not confident of the security features of the app based unlock.
We love it and would find it hard to go back to a key based system as we are not in the habit of carrying keys anymore.
The only problem is that we lost the manual and have to call the service guy everytime we have to add a new fingerprint to the system
chandu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2022, 16:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
we have a Yale lock ...The only problem is that we lost the manual and have to call the service guy everytime we have to add a new fingerprint to the system
Which model is this? The manuals are available online.
Old 28th February 2022, 16:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
Which model is this? The manuals are available online.
I will have to check the model number but we checked everywhere and it was not available, the model is no longer available and it was not there in the Yale website or other sites anywhere.
Old 28th February 2022, 17:47   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thallipolivandi View Post
I was very interested in using electronic locks in some parts of under renovation house, until I came across Youtube videos from the LockpickingLawyer. Now I don't consider them anymore.
Thanks for sharing, very interesting and informative.

So, is the old saying "Locks are for honest people" is true after all?
Old 2nd March 2022, 21:44   #36
BHPian

How is the feedback on Qubo smart lock?
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
How is the feedback on Qubo smart lock?
Qubo is the smart devices brand from the Hero group, and are not bad. Their smart lock also allows unlocking via app using Bluetooth. If you are interested in their eco system, a single app will help you manage everything.
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 15:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Qubo is the smart devices brand from the Hero group, and are not bad. Their smart lock also allows unlocking via app using Bluetooth. If you are interested in their eco system, a single app will help you manage everything.
Thanks. I am aware of the Hero ownership which is what draws me. I was looking for feedback on their robustness/service/longevity from any personal usage amongst FMs. Plus, how do they compare with Yale?
Old 20th September 2022, 17:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepjaju View Post
Check this out
https://www.openapp.com/home

I own the 'Door Two' version. Got it like 3 years back. Using it on the inner entrance gate of my apartment. Given that apartment for rent and its so convenient for me. Works on Bluetooth, NFC, Fingerprint, Mechanical key, passcode and very reasonable pricing.
So I was looking for smart locks for some time now, almost bought Yale 50nxt as it serves my requirement of finger print and mechanical key. But then one specification came to my notice, it needs minimum thickness of 35mm. Then checked other brands - Godrej, Qubo etc, all have a minimum thickness requirement of 35mm or 40mm. My main door in apartment is 32mm thick and nowhere got a confirmation that 32mm also would work. So I could not take risk and buy any of those. Some are rim lock supposed to be work on 32mm, but they do not have mechanical key. So my search continued.

Now, while rechecking this thread came to know this openapp.com site. These smart locks need only 32mm thickness. Only worry is how would be their after sale service and durability of the mechatronics.

@deepjaju Could you update on how is it going; and if you bought a newer one, how is that?

Also, anyone here installed Yale or other branded smart lock on a 32mm wooden door?
Old 20th September 2022, 19:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdawiz View Post
...Also, anyone here installed Yale or other branded smart lock on a 32mm wooden door?...
You can install locks on thin doors/frames with an additional wooden piece on the inside as support for the door and the frame. However, the company installer may refuse or charge extra for the same as that would take additional time and efforts. However, if you ask around you are likely to get help
UPS_Guru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 21:16   #41
BHPian

Quote:
You can install locks on thin doors/frames with an additional wooden piece on the inside as support for the door and the frame. However, the company installer may refuse or charge extra for the same as that would take additional time and efforts. However, if you ask around you are likely to get help
Saw some of the answer in amazon.in about this same solution. Charging extra is fine, but skeptical that installer would not do it after I buy. Then I have to run around for a carpenter. Also little worried about craftsmanship.

Do you have any contact in Bangalore who would be able to do it?
Old 21st September 2022, 07:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
... Do you have any contact in Bangalore who would be able to do it?..
Sorry, I don't have a number to forward. The company installers are your best bet. If not look for carpenters who work with solid wood to ensure great craftsmanship.
Old 21st September 2022, 07:59   #43
BHPian

Smart lock is two things:
Smart : Smart features
Lock: security features

Likewise the cost aspect can always broken into the same two aspects.

Whenever I think about getting one, I would really think about the security features first, the cost of an equally secure dumb lock, and assess if the premium that I would need to pay for the smart features and if that justifies my use case for the Smart features, over a dumb lock, over the projected lifetime of ownership.

I am reminded of this quote by Leonardo da Vinci.
Attached Images

Last edited by ajayc123 : 21st September 2022 at 08:04.
Old 23rd September 2022, 17:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
So I was looking for smart locks for some time now, almost bought Yale 50nxt as it serves my requirement of finger print and mechanical key. But then one specification came to my notice, it needs minimum thickness of 35mm. Then checked other brands - Godrej, Qubo etc, all have a minimum thickness requirement of 35mm or 40mm. My main door in apartment is 32mm thick and nowhere got a confirmation that 32mm also would work. So I could not take risk and buy any of those. Some are rim lock supposed to be work on 32mm, but they do not have mechanical key. So my search continued.

Now, while rechecking this thread came to know this openapp.com site. These smart locks need only 32mm thickness. Only worry is how would be their after sale service and durability of the mechatronics.

@deepjaju Could you update on how is it going; and if you bought a newer one, how is that?

Also, anyone here installed Yale or other branded smart lock on a 32mm wooden door?

No complaints till now. Working perfectly fine. Only concern is given the un-popularity or slow marketing by the team, I feel the company hopefully does not shut shop sooner or later. Else product is all good.
deepjaju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2022, 00:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Saw some of the answer in amazon.in about this same solution. Charging extra is fine, but skeptical that installer would not do it after I buy. Then I have to run around for a carpenter. Also little worried about craftsmanship
Hi sir,
I was exactly in the same situation as yours a year back.I did the same thing just pasted a plank of wood to the door facing inside using eraldite and bolted the same for added safety.you need a carpenter since you need to deepen the grove in the frame on which the door sits or add an extra plank of wood to the frame too.
Dr Alpha is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks