Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2022, 11:00   #16
BHPian

re: Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone

I too moved to iPhone 6 months ago, after using Android for 10 years (Galaxy S2, Oneplus 2 and Redmi Note 7 Pro). However my personal experience is that the current Android phones are not that lagging compared to Android phones of yore. And contrary to the popular opinion, I feel the Android is more user friendly, especially on scenarios like you use multiple sim cards for call. One thing I felt annoying on iOS is, if I cannot just long press on a contact and dynamically choose which sim card I should use to make a call. Also toggling certain functions like GPS etc is easier in Android though in iOS you can achieve the same, once we learn shortcuts app. The plus side of iOS for me is more intuitive Camera app, almost all apps are snappier (In my later Androids, even though they are fast for most part, certain apps like MS Teams etc used to hang at times) and the promise of iOS updates for a longer duration.
sreejithkk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:32   #17
BHPian

I have a similar story.

TLDR
—-
“iPhones are for super rich OR more suited to show off kind of people. They offer no value for the money” - This was my typical mindset till the time I actually started using one.
Almost two years since I got my iPhone 11 (gift from wife), and there is no looking back to Android now.
—-

My first smartphone was a Nokia Lumia 520. Absolutely loved it. Then had to buy an Android because Nokia went Kaput. Started off with Moto g3 because of stock experience and real value for money it offered. The initial experience was good, but it failed to perform under rough conditions. Example: During one trip, my Moto G kept on shutting down whenever I tried to use it in near-zero temperatures. The battery drop rate also became significantly higher which led to me carrying a power bank everywhere along with a backup phone. Essentially I had to carry a phone support kit wherever I went. This was such a giant pain in the rear.

Not learning my lesson, I upgraded to Moto G5s plus. Again the initial few months were solid but then came the charging jack issues. The jack just refused to charge normally and had to be attacked from multiple angles to top up some juice. It was a frustrating experience but I kept enduring. Just because a phone for me was a consumable which had to be changed only after two years of full value squeeze.

In the meanwhile, my wife bought a Nexus. I was impressed. It seemed to be the solution to all my problems as the next upgrade. But then her phone bricked after 13 months of usage just outside warranty. Multiple attempts to get it repaired failed. Even when we were willing to pay 40% cost of a new phone in repair bill.

Now it has been iPhone 11 for two years. No power bank, no charging jack issues, no abrupt shutting down in near-zero temperatures. It’s a no-nonsense device and just works. You buy it and forget about it just like a good old Toyota. That is all I need.

Last edited by warrioraks : 18th March 2022 at 11:49.
warrioraks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

In my experience it is very simple:

If you want the absolute best phone with the latest tech it will probably have to be an Android

If you like keeping your phone for atleast 2 years or more (if it does not break), iPhone offers a more consistent long-term user experience.

That said, has anyone else felt like iOS is a lot more glitchy these days than it was in the past? I feel like the focus on software experience is less these days. Don't get me wrong, I still feel iOS is more consistent than Android, but I feel like in the last 3 years iOS glitches out more than I expect it to.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 18th March 2022 at 12:03.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:07   #19
BHPian

For those who are contemplating moving to a new flagship phone, what are your thoughts on the 5G networks that are going to be rolled out soon in India, and the compatibility of various flagships with these 5G networks? Does it make sense to wait until we are clear about the 5G specs needed in India?
Old 18th March 2022, 12:11   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

iPhone being the pioneer in smart phones it is interesting to see the shift from Android to iPhone. Other than the first 5 years there has been a revolution in the rise of Android smart phones. I have been mostly BB guy with basic required interface before iPhones. Once iPhones came I shifted from iPhone 4.
Later SE is to my liking because I mostly go with DSLR cameras on tours. Using SE for ever and feel like it’s suffices enough.
Also, the premium of 12K to 45K we Indians pay over the US price tag is something I never understood.
Yes, sourcing from other countries is always a choice. I guess SE still holds the value for me and quite affordable in India too.
Old 18th March 2022, 12:48   #21
RGK
Senior - BHPian

I was a Windows user until 2016, when I switched to the iPhone series. No one beats Windows Phone when it comes to email and docs. Unfortunately, no apps were built for Windows, and the phone died of natural causes.

Between Apple IOS and Android, I believe Android has too many application duties built in, which eventually slows down the phone's performance. Even if many of Apple's functions are not user-friendly (e.g., no search in "recent call history"), the hardware is durable and backed by excellent service in the United States.
Old 18th March 2022, 12:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Samsung S21/S22 series – I have never liked Samsung’s UI (although they have improved significantly) and their pricing has also gone too high. Only the S21 FE made some sense at 50k but for that price I could get a Pixel 6. I was not confident is spending 70-80k for their Plus and Ultra series as I didn’t feel they’ll last me 4-5 years. Out
Nicely sums up dilemma of many Android users who want to get hold of respectable branded phone. In the Indian market no player apart from Samsung is absolutely trusted in Android OS (may be Nokia, but no flagship there). I am also in same boat, when I see Samsung pricing and lack of other viable options, time to time even I contemplate to buy iPhone (12 is available at nice price point now a days). Only reason not taking the plunge is that no other Apple ecosystem device I would be using and after investing in many apps and familiarity with Android for so many years (using since Android 1.6) and all syncs; I do not want to come out of that.

However, just for others to get an idea about improvement in Samsung flagships since recent past; it improved a lot (along with their pricing too ). Using Galaxy S9 for almost 4 years now. No performance issue and with stable Android 10 (security patch still coming), did not feel to upgrade yet. Battery is one issue now after this many years, for last 1 year, it lasts around 16 hours with my moderate use (fast charge helps). And now with announcement from Samsung that from S21 onwards they would provide 4 major OS update and 5 years of security patch, its more inline with Apple than before. And One UI 2.0 onwards is one of the simple and near android experience after Pixel (and Nokia/Motorola). Also one best part is Samsung still service reasonably cheap, specially when model is around 2 years old - changed my wife's S9 broken back glass for just 3200/- including all from Samsung (another example official sAmoled display for S9 is just 8K now ) - imagine this from Apple.

S21 5G now came down to 51~54K, with exchange and discounts would be a good option who think of spending near 50k for a flagship experience.

Last edited by dipdawiz : 18th March 2022 at 12:59.
dipdawiz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:11   #23
BHPian

I love using the Apple iPad pro 12.9. I have recently bought the latest one to replace my second generation one. Even though it costs well over 1 lakh, I feel like it is good value for money as it is super responsive and can remain snappy for several years. However, I still can’t make myself switch from Android to Apple when it comes to phones. Android gives you much more control. Even the iPad is only used to browse the web and watch videos. If I needed to do serious work, I would find it limiting. However, its ease of use has made me completely abandon my high powered MSI i7 laptop for the past few years.

In addition, most phones today, including Apple, are tiny. I absolutely hate the new form factor where the phones are made long but very slim. Then they are declared to be huge like 6.5 or 6.8 inches but in reality, they are smaller than even the 6 inch ones from a few years ago which used the traditional form factor. Currently I am using the 7.2 inch (real 7.2 based on traditional form factor) Huawei Mate 20x. It is 3 plus years old but is working perfectly. I don’t know what I would upgrade to as apart from Samsung Fold series, all other phones are absolutely tiny.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:31   #24
BHPian

Most of the android users who switch to iphone and go gaga over it have never used a Samsung flagship phone like s8, s9, s10, s20, s21 or s22 let alone Z series. Sorry but using flagships from likes of htc and motorola simply should not be used as a reference point. One plusT or pixel never even came close to what s8 or above model offered.

Iphone's don't work how users want it to be but change user's habbit according to their whims and fancies. If not for apple fanboys Iphone's would have been a relic due to its UI.
Sran is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 13:32   #25
src
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post
Please share your android to IOS experiences as well. Thanks for reading!
Very interesting Vaibhav that we are moving in the same direction first with City and now with iPhone

Yes I also started 2022 with iPhone and after using 2 decades of Symbian OS in Nokia Phones and stock Androids.
Basically I always used Google Phones initially and eventually Pixels.

Primary reason I moved is the nagging problems faced with Pixels and there is no service availability in India and due to lockdown my brothers travel got restricted.

Pixel3A ringer don't work and it happened within 6 months after I got from US while Pixel3XL battery suddenly dropped from 90% to 1%.

Had it been in US I would have received a replacement easily.
Also the resale prices are pathetic compared to at par iPhones.

Hence the switch and am enjoying the added security of Apples.
src is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 14:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

I made the switch about 1.5 years ago by buying the SE for 25K. I wanted a phone that would last long ( 5-6 years), small in size, would receive regular updates - and with my budget the iphone suited my purpose. Yes the screen is small and I'd like a bigger battery, but I'm happy with my purchase.

The entry level products from Apple - their phones, laptops or their ipads - IMHO are really vfm if you hold on to them for long. That may not be true for their higher end products though.
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 14:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

Interesting about 7T. My wife uses the Oneplus 7 as her primary runner, I have a secondary Oneplus 5 with me. They are in their 3rd and 5th year respectively. Have never seen drop in performance degrade like you mentioned. Both are still in Android 10 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
Most of the android users who switch to iphone and go gaga over it have never used a Samsung flagship phone like s8, s9, s10, s20, s21 or s22 let alone Z series.
I have used Samsung flagships. S2, S3, S7 and Note 3 over the years. There is a clear performance degrade over the years. None of them went past the 4th year. They weren't even usable as a secondary phone, let alone primary.

I'll write off S2, since it went through abuse of rooting and several custom ROMs. But the rest were used in stock form.

I haven't used an iPhone for 5 years to comment (still on the 3rd year), but certainly OnePlus worked out ahead of Samsung.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Why a separate thread for iphone?!

There are many on the other side as well, broken free from apple's restrictions and never wanting to go back to iOS jail.

I hace an ipad pro 10.5 pro. Afetr getting Samsung S7+ which is superior in every sense to the ipad pro 10.5, including the pen, I haven't even touched the ipad. The iOS ecosystem is too suffocating to go back to. Too bad pixels are no longer available in India officially.
ani_meher is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 15:27   #29
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
but certainly OnePlus worked out ahead of Samsung.
My wife has been using the One Plus 7 for nearly four years and it is a true workhorse. So far, there have been no issues with the hardware or software.
Old 18th March 2022, 15:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ahoy!!!Another covert here.

Have been on androids since they started back in 2008/09 I guess. Initially iPhones to me were just overpriced toys for rich folks. Infact they were really expensive for the time. I never imagined spending anything more than 25k on phones, so it was always androids. Used Motorola, OnePlus, Samsung & Nokia and most of them were good for 2-2.5 years on average. Another priority for me is compact size. But sadly most androids these days are ultra-massive & that too was one of the reasons for moving out of the camp.

In 2020 my last android suddenly died on dot 2 years mark. Pixel 4a was about to come & looked perfect but since my previous phone died suddenly, I needed something urgently. That's when my brother(Apple fanboy) handed me over his old 6s which was lying unused since he had moved to X. I got the battery changed and started using it till Pixel 4a is released in India.

The performance of that 5 year old phone was a pleasant surprise. I mean it was getting latest iOS updates in 2021 as well and there was almost nothing wrong with it. Yes the camera was a bit out-of-date but from app usage POV it was as good(if not better) as my <2year old android. Stuck to it for exactly 1 year to experience it some more and dropped the plan for Pixel 4a for 2020. By 2021 mid I was convinced that I need to experience this long term. However from a budget of 25k switching to 70/80k budget was tough, so set a upper-limit of 50k. Only iphone 12 mini was possible in that budget but I knew flipkart BBD sale is the best time to buy phones in India where you can expect some crazy deals.

In came Oct,2021 BBD sale and after the 1st hour goof-up was finally able to book a Blue iphone 12-128GB within my budget. Into its 6 month now and has been an excellent experience

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th March 2022 at 15:57.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks