Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2022, 06:07   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The wife is going to be switching to a 13 Pro from Android soon. Since the last iPhone I used was a 3GS waaaay back when it was still a novelty in India, I'm a bit out of touch and would need some help in migrating her stuff from an OnePlus Nord to the 13 Pro and mainly with the initial setup.
I think you can do an easy transfer (while setting up the iPhone) by using the Move to iOS app. Connect up the devices using the USB-C to lightening cable that comes with iPhone and just follow the on screen instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I believe iTunes on the PC is still required with an Apple account. Where do I go from there ? I heard that transferring WhatsApp is a pain point too
I have been on iPhone for a few years, and don’t remember the last time I used iTunes. I believe for Whatsapp transfer you need an external app or something.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 14:32   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoConsultant View Post

Initial Review
  • Enjoying the change in UI
  • the cameras (especially videos) are absolutely stunning
  • It is slightly heavy but you should get used to it
  • Battery back up is brilliant, can last for 2 days with mild usage
  • Was skeptical on moving from Fingerprint to Face ID but is has been smooth. With the latest update, I can unlock it while wearing a mask also!
Great choice. Enjoy your phone. Are you able to get Apple Care+ for phones bought abroad but used in India? I would highly recommend it.

This morning I dropped my iPhone 13 on concrete and damaged the screen and bezel a bit. I have Apple Care+ and hence booked an appointment with the Apple Genius bar. I only need to pay A$45 to get the screen replaced.

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-ca93e9845be2455494419c87f35ac182_1_201_a.jpeg

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-a20b35a09ceb41f1aa736ff54f8a7593_1_201_a.jpeg

Initially they said the screen will be replaced but the bezel cannot be replace since it is part of the phone's base structure and this cosmetic damage to the bezel isn't covered in Apple Care+. Upon running the usual diagnostics it returned a FaceID not functioning properly error. I did notice it to be a bit sub-optimal but since the damage was only a couple of hours ago I didn't worry much.

The FaceID error changes everything and hence, they swapped my iPhone with a re-manufactured iPhone. I had to pay A$145. It comes with a 2 year warranty from now. I got the new iPhone, set it up and started the iCloud sync process and I was out in 45 minutes.

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-16c14b44643e45388a32c335b59165d0.jpeg

The drop damaging the FaceID camera/system is quite worrying but the seamless and hassle-free Apple service is something I'm used to and makes the premium worth it. I don't know how 'Android' flagship competitors address similar issues.

Apple knows very well that time is a premium/luxury for some and I suppose they ensure customers get the best value for their time. For some others it may not be the case and can spend time to save money. To each his own.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 16:14   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
I have a similar story.

TLDR
—-
“iPhones are for super rich OR more suited to show off kind of people. They offer no value for the money” - This was my typical mindset till the time I actually started using one.
I have a pretty similar story to this one. I used to bash every iPhone user including my friends and family. My whole family and cousins were on iphones whereas as I was the only one running on Android.

I had a OP 6 which I had purchased in May 2018 which was working faithfully. However, one fine morning in Jan, the phone shut off with it refusing to start up. Going to the OP service centre, the technician told me that the motherboard was shot and the expense would be of approx 20k. For a phone purchase in 2018 for 40K, spending 20k on a motherboard was just financial irresponsibility. In the meanwhile, i was using my father's iphone 6s and since my old phone was shot, it basically meant I had no backup while shifting to Apple including app backup like whatsapp.

The phones I considered were only OP 9. However, it was a horrible phone with lots of overheating issues. I did not feel putting north of 50K in it was worth it. Additionally the merger of Oppo and OnePlus was hard to digest as well. Did not consider a Samsung since I had a horrible experience with S4, a flagship phone in 2013-2014. Hence the only option left was iPhone.

Anywhich ways I was using an iphone 6s then, plus no backup meant that i could switch to a newer Apple device without any issues. Additionally, I believe iPhones are built more to last and have a higher exchange value whenever there will be a discussion for a newer phone years down the line. I was earlier looking at Iphone 12, however, a fantastic offer on Republic day meant I could easily buy the 13 with a meagre difference of 5k. And thus i bought the Iphone 13.

Loving the iphone experience till now. The only downside is, I am now the unofficial photographer for any meet with friends. However, I still miss some of the ease of use Oneplus which are not available in the Iphone.
Old 4th April 2022, 22:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

I feel like a Veteran when I type this post I am an Apple iOS user since May 2009 and haven’t really switched to an Android this long. Have always used Apple phones - starting with 3G, 4, 5C, 6S & now, it’s a 12 Mini which I bought in Jan 2021.

Being a veteran Apple user, all I can say is, iOS is extremely stable & consistent with its functionality throughout. I can barely recall seeing my phone crashed during heavy usage or randomly. Had kept all my previous phones jailbroken to match the customization levels of an Android

12 mini is bone stock and the iOS is just the way it is now Vs how it looked way back in 2009! Perhaps, Apple is all into functionality Vs focusing on bringing in a fresh feel to its usage.

I am also contemplating on moving to Android for a fresh user experience with S22 Ultra. But, I am still a bit hesitant as I do not want to regret later on in case Android acts up on me midway! Will keep this group posted if I move in the opposite direction of this topic!
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 06:32   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
12 mini is bone stock and the iOS is just the way it is now Vs how it looked way back in 2009! Perhaps, Apple is all into functionality Vs focusing on bringing in a fresh feel to its usage.
I have been on iOS for many years (with either work phone or personal phone), and occasional stint at the Android side. I moved from the Pixel 2 to 11 Pro a couple of years back and absolutely loved the device, then moved from 11 Pro to 12 Mini mostly because of the form factor. And my work phone is the XR. Apple’s seamless iOS updates to all its devices is pretty awesome and the hardware is rock solid that it stays relevant even after a few generations. And there lies the problem as well – for a regular user, its newer models don’t feel really new. For example, between iPhone 12 Mini and the XR, the former has a better camera, but the old XR is still capable of dishing out some good pictures. And with the latest update, 12 Mini can unlock with mask on, but for the XR face id is useless in the current pandemic situation, and that’s pretty much the differences. The experience of using the phone is nearly identical, even though they are generations apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv
I am also contemplating on moving to Android for a fresh user experience with S22 Ultra. But, I am still a bit hesitant as I do not want to regret later on in case Android acts up on me midway! Will keep this group posted if I move in the opposite direction of this topic!
Just be mindful of the size difference. The other day while out for a walk, I carried my wife’s 13 Pro Max for a short distance. That in one hand and my 12 Mini on the other was like walking with dumbbells of two different weights. The S22 Ultra is around the same size/weight as the 13 Pro Max and do consider that factor, especially when moving from the Mini
Old 5th April 2022, 13:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Just be mindful of the size difference. The other day while out for a walk, I carried my wife’s 13 Pro Max for a short distance. That in one hand and my 12 Mini on the other was like walking with dumbbells of two different weights. The S22 Ultra is around the same size/weight as the 13 Pro Max and do consider that factor, especially when moving from the Mini
True that! Majority of Android phones are so big, it’s a miniature version of Refrigerator / a Television to be precise in pockets - not so pocket friendly

I am still contemplating. Will be trading my 12 mini to my wife and will see how the phone is in person at a nearby store and decide if I will stick to iOS / move to Android!
Old 10th April 2022, 15:08   #82
BHPian

Quote:
True that! Majority of Android phones are so big, it’s a miniature version of Refrigerator / a Television to be precise in pockets - not so pocket friendly!
On the contrary, all phones these days are absolutely tiny as they are using a new form factor which makes them long but very narrow. The result is that a phone like Ultra is claimed to be 6.8 inches but is smaller than even a 6 inch phone made in the traditional form factor from a a few years ago. There is no iPhone or even Android that is big enough for me. I use Huawei Mate 20x which is 7.2 inches on the traditional form factor. Check out the image and compare the width as well as the height with the Samsung S21 Ultra. It is tiny..Similarly check out the even bigger difference with iPhone Max.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-screenshot_20220329_114958.jpg  

Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-screenshot_20220410_151047.jpg  

Last edited by Lobogris : 10th April 2022 at 15:13. Reason: Added image
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:37   #83
Team-BHP Support

One reason where Android was triumphing over an iOS.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I finally moved from Android to an iPhone-262fd6ef7e554873be4f5329d4c175c0.jpeg  

Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 22:09   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
One reason where Android was triumphing over an iOS.
It's only for 3rd party apps. 1st party solutions built by OEMs will continue to work and supported. Something to do with accessibility permissions.
Stolidus500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 13:53   #85
BHPian

Little off topic but can anyone suggest best and trusted app to move Whatsapp with messages from Android to iPhone?

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 27th April 2022, 15:11   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
.... best and trusted app to move Whatsapp with messages from Android to iPhone?.
Haven't personally tried, but great reviews from people who have used it.

MobileTrans

Edit: The positive reviews are for the paid version.

Last edited by Spinnerr : 27th April 2022 at 15:16.
Spinnerr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 08:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

But unfortunately, it is not sold via Telco carriers here in Singapore and so over-priced if order via Google store (SGD 999 / USD 737 for the regular 6, 128 GB). If I upgrade to 13 Pro instead, it will almost come free with carrier vouchers and other discounts. For an iPhone user, I feel Pixel is the only option in the Android space that can give a matching experience (and vice versa) with super-capable camera system, clean interface etc.
It's interesting you say this VB-san. I was looking for a replacement for my one plus -5 and ended up buying a pixel 6 pro.

I could not understand the benefit of buying a device with a telco. Over a 2 year period you end up paying more for device + connection as compared to what you would pay if you bought only device and only sim. Aren't Sim only plans cheaper in Sg compared to Phone + Sim?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 09:26   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
It's interesting you say this VB-san. I was looking for a replacement for my one plus -5 and ended up buying a pixel 6 pro.

I could not understand the benefit of buying a device with a telco. Over a 2-year period you end up paying more for device + connection as compared to what you would pay if you bought only device and only sim. Aren't Sim only plans cheaper in Sg compared to Phone + Sim?
That’s a good point. It was working quite cheap for me as the employer was paying for the mobile subscription, and hence on a higher plan
Now recently it got to personal payment and so I moved to a lesser plan and still got the S22 without any upfront payment. The SGD 68 per month plan works pretty well for the Samsung if I consider the device cost + sim subscription (would be pretty heavy if it’s an iPhone Pro model).
Old 9th May 2022, 11:35   #89
BHPian

This debate will keep raging forever till one of the ecosystem cease to exist. I like Apple products. I use Ipad extensively for my work. I use S21 5g and satisfied very much with the performance. Most often people ask me which Iphone is this after seeing photographs and their face sags after hearing that it is a Samsung.

It is nice to show off our achievements and our ability to buy and use the latest and best. But I cant do that for show off alone. I am happy with safe middle class in a nice community in a democratic country. Though I look forward to having a Posh Villa but the problem is this Posh villa is in a Autocratic country like China - No freedom, No thanks.

And for lovers - we are comparing a few varieties of Apple with the entire fruit stall. And keep singing about how tasty the apple is when compared to something bland and sour. There are fruits that suit the taste bud of a variety of people in the fruit stall. A fruit stall can have apple in it too but apple only store will not have other varieties. After all life needs various colors and different experience. Though the tasty apple appear enticing, can't overcome the fear of eating only apples for my lifetime which is very short. My humble two cryptos on the topic.
aadya is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 22:51   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still contemplating. Will be trading my 12 mini to my wife and will see how the phone is in person at a nearby store and decide if I will stick to iOS / move to Android!
Quoting my own post to drop an update. I finally bit the bullet and switched to S22 Ultra with Android 12. I am mighty impressed with it's beastly performance for the last 3 days. While this is the initial impression of the phone, I will try to capture a comprehensive update in the coming days. As of now, I have customized the phone to my liking to make it MINE! iOS was just the same despite many generations apart. I'm loving the customization options Android is offering. Will see how it handles a busy day at work when meetings, emails etc are on the higher side of the scale
gururajrv is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks