Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your current photography gear?
APS-C DSLR Cameras with fully-owned set of lenses ( Small sensor devices such as the DX ) 80 19.80%
APS-C DSLR Cameras with some own lens but I rent the niche lenses 22 5.45%
Fullframe DSLR Cameras with fully-owned set of lenses ( such as the FX series by Nikon ) 38 9.41%
Fullframe DSLR Cameras some own lens but I rent the niche lenses 8 1.98%
Mirrorless Cameras 54 13.37%
Body-mounted Action Cameras such as Go-Pro 19 4.70%
Basic Point and Shoot Cameras 22 5.45%
I only use my cellphone Camera for all my photography now 219 54.21%
I take along a more serious-photographer friend 3 0.74%
I don't care anymore 39 9.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 14:46   #46
BHPian

Re: The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?

I was using a dslr all this while which I had purchased used, to learn. Now that I am fairly confident bought a mirrorless only because of the amazing shutter speeds that you can achieve. I am mainly into wildlife photography, capturing tigers and leopards where you need high frame rates. I was missing some key moments in dslr as it was struggling with fps. Quality wise there is not much difference between dslr and mirrorless, anybody who says otherwise need to revisit their priorities.
Old 27th September 2022, 15:04   #47
BHPian

For most users, a smartphone is enough. Zoom and natural bokeh is where smartphones cannot currently beat interchangeable lens cameras.
Old 27th September 2022, 15:56   #48
BHPian

Taking a good photo with a phone for e.g. is different from taking a good photo with a DSLR or Mirrorless. Phones are good to take photos in a good lighting conditions, even 10k worth phone can do a miracle when you have good light, or in a beach, in a good natural landscape. But there are things like composition/framing, lighting or controlling the light in the scene etc. Taking a 5 MP photo with a simple camera in places like Himalayas or Switzerland is going to give color popping and good looking photos 99% of the time! Again the composition and control of the light is a matter which only proper photographers take into account and come up with the best results. Those are days where we talk about dividing the scene into 9 boxes where to keep objects in the frame etc. How many follow these when taking a photo in a phone? But the basics are still important when it comes to serious or semi serious photography. What is done with Camera Phones are simply tiktoking and instagramming and whatsapping etc. Not Photographing where all those grammars are considered strictly. This paradigm shift is applicable for ex. music as well. Music, once had a strict scale to follow, but this gen x or z likes kind of music which the 90s kid simply go . I humbly think everything goes through this change and we need to adopt. Writing off something or anything simply is actually at your own risk.

DSLRs with minimal knowledge can produce great photos especially even when the conditions are not that good e.g. low lights in closed areas - parties, functions, performances, zooming of distance objects etc. With DSLR, you will be able to achieve those (to some extent with phones like S21/22 Ultra (RAW 108 MP), Mi 11 Ultra etc). Then, taking macro or portraits, it is getting better nowadays but still not close to what a DSLR can offer.

For sure, Camera phones are replacing 60-70% photo capturing requirements for normal usage (viewing in small screens). DSLRs/Mirrorless are becoming the go to equipment only for the enthusiasts, pro-sumers and professionals.

Between DSLR & Mirrorless, still there is a big gap when it comes to all round quality. I see still people carrying Nikon D850 for serious shoots like animal or sports photography. The only advantage mirrorless gives is the size/weight which is paramount, but the point I would like to make is that even Z9 has it own issues compared D850. For the less keen consumers and pro-sumers Mirrorless is taking over big time. One more iteration, DSLR will start to get absolute in at least 2 to 4 years or it might be dead even.

I do own two dslrs and a S22 Ultra and I still think the satisfaction I am getting from the DSLR is not matched by the S22 Ultra (it has one of the best camera hardware) + the RAW Capture app that can take 108 MP photos.

Check the photo below. Without any Photoshopping, the quality a DSLR brings can be only matched by another mirrorless/DSLR. Phones may not achieve this level with their software post-processing in the near future. Camera companies had built their expertise for the last 2 to 3 decades focusing only on photo/processing/lighting etc. Phone hardware might not match what a DSLR can offer to produce images.

I wish I could upload more photos but the size is large.

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-dscn2090.jpg

Last edited by sgmuser : 27th September 2022 at 15:59. Reason: typo
sgmuser is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:12   #49
BHPian

Went on a vacation recently to Bali and used the opportunity to bring out my Nikon D5200.
Really old but still plenty good. I hadn't used it in quite some time now so felt good to put this to use again.

Used the DSLR for almost all the photography I did on the trip and the cellphone (iPhone 12) was reduced to taking selfies and the one odd photo for social media.

Put simply, the DSLR is just better.
The iPhone 12 has a great camera and will do the trick 90% of the time but the remaining 10% is where the real beauty is. The DSLR will capture more and capture it better. I am not a pro, far from it. But still even in the hands of a novice the DSLR can capture some really stunning photos.
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:28   #50
BHPian

Vote for full frame DSLRs . No matter how much cell phones have evolved , they can never match the sensor , burst speed or low light capability of a full frame professional DSLRs. I am mainly into portraits and landscapes , and for me the mobile phones can never give that satisfaction that a DSLR can provide.
autohead666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:31   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How do smartphones with the add-on lenses like moment or sandmarc play out ? Would the glasses bring in better photos ? Thinking of getting one for iphone 13 (not the pro)
Old 27th September 2022, 16:32   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Taking a 5 MP photo with a simple camera in places like Himalayas or Switzerland is going to give color popping and good looking photos 99% of the time! Again the composition and control of the light is a matter which only proper photographers take into account and come up with the best results. Those are days where we talk about dividing the scene into 9 boxes where to keep objects in the frame etc. How many follow these when taking a photo in a phone? But the basics are still important when it comes to serious or semi serious photography.
DSLRs with minimal knowledge can produce great photos especially even when the conditions are not that good e.g. low lights in closed areas - parties, functions, performances, zooming of distance objects etc. With DSLR, you will be able to achieve those (to some extent with phones like S21/22 Ultra (RAW 108 MP), Mi 11 Ultra etc). Then, taking macro or portraits, it is getting better nowadays but still not close to what a DSLR can offer.
Exactly my point. I own a Nikon D850. Its heavy , but weather sealed , has a sturdy body and can beat any mobile camera by leaps ad bounds. For those who pursue photography seriously, they will never be satisfied using mobile camera.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th September 2022 at 17:03. Reason: Please quote *ONLY* the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
autohead666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:42   #53
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Phones are good to take photos in a good lighting conditions, even 10k worth phone can do a miracle when you have good light, or in a beach, in a good natural landscape. But there are things like composition/framing, lighting or controlling the light in the scene etc. For those who pursue photography seriously, they will never be satisfied using mobile camera.
You would be very pleasantly surprised with the results one can get with iPhone Pro Max and Google Pixel Series of Smartphones.

Last edited by Sheel : 27th September 2022 at 17:03. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:48   #54
BHPian

There was a time when I used to carry my DSLR everywhere - in fact I have this camera bag from Amazon Basics which contains the camera and lenses and which I used to travel with till not so long ago. Those days are pretty much gone.

My current phone the Mi11x is great for regular photography and even low light and wide angle photography. Where it fails is optical zoom, and for those occasions where optical zoom may be required I carry either the DSLR or the point and shoot that has 30x optical zoom. The photo below was taken on the point and shoot.

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-img_4078.jpg

It would not have been possible to get the same quality had I taken it with the phone I had then as you can see from the photo of the pitch from where I was sitting.

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-img_4079.jpg

So its pretty much horses for courses for me. I also use the DSLR for special occasions - the depth of field with a good lens cannot be matched by my mid-range phone.
Neversaygbye is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 16:51   #55
BHPian

I sold my DSLR couple of years ago and moved to mirrorless (Canon M50). Got a bunch of lenses, used them on a few occasions. Now, I have a phone (S22+) that takes equally good if not better photos in most situations, so the camera mostly stays in the bag. I may keep it for some situations where I need serious manul control and proper bokeh etc, but for most regular photography needs, the phone does a stellar job.
Old 27th September 2022, 17:22   #56
BHPian

I think the key difference, where the mobile cameras outscore, is that a mobile camera is actually 2-3 cameras working together. So you can get lights as well as the darks adjusted in a single photo. This is something which is difficult to do with a point and shoot / DSLR.

I have been using Sony HX-400V, which has been a great companion on many trips, a good balance between size and range. With a 60X Zoom, it gives pictures one can seldom take with a mobile, like the one attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-dsc04858.jpg  

shekatkar31 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 17:36   #57
BHPian

Have been using DSLR's for a decade & a half. Dedicated photography time since last few years has been limited primarily due to family commitments but I am still thinking of getting a FF mirrorless soon. For someone passionate about photography, for someone who has seriously delved into photography, a camera phone will never replace a big sensor camera (APSC/MICRO FOUR THIRDS/FULL FRAME etc.).
UD2021 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 18:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

My basic Canon 1100D conked off exactly 10 years after I brought it. Had posted a photo of the same on FB wall, it flashed on my 'You have memories to look back' suggestion, right when I was headed to the service station :( Canon has stopped manufacturing parts for this model and they suggested me to get a new body.

I instead got an iphone 13 for now and handed over the lenses to my cousin who happens to be an avid photographer himself.

I have taken lots of good photos hauling 4 lenses along every time and honestly do miss it a lot, not because of the clarity of photos in general (it is almost the same in better light conditions with high end mobile cameras) but they way you can compose shots using optical zoom instead of the crappy digital zoom and how it pixelates if you crop the images a little too much. Plus the 'bokeh' effect on these phone cameras are crap.

APS-C mirrored DSLRs are definitely dead, people having the lower end DSLRs should be prepared to look at aftermarket service if anything goes wrong as authorised service centers just wont have the parts in stock (mine was the processor that failed)

I recently did a Europe trip with just the phone and while it took some good photos, I missed out on the ability to zoom optically. Take an example of this photo below taken using iphone 13 on a ferry, I wish I could get closer to the small island for a better composure (there is too much sky and too much water), digital zooming will turn this into crappy pixel-fest

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-img_2867.jpeg:

I will probably get a mirrorless camera in the next few years.

Last edited by NiInJa : 27th September 2022 at 18:09.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 18:13   #59
BHPian

I spent a bit on my phone (used to earlier wonder why) to stop missing capturing moments the way I would by not always having my D-SLR with me and boy I was pleasantly surprised. I still miss out the the details and depth my D-SLR can capture but it's worth the miss evaluating over missing the moment.

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-20220815_230822.jpg

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-20220617_071946.jpg

These shots are right out of the phone's memory to here. And no it's not an iPhone. S22 U.

From far off to near close, have been able to cover all shots with near satisfaction.

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 27th September 2022 at 18:15.
abhisheksircar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 18:26   #60
BHPian

With the rapid advancement of smartphone camera technology, it makes having a DSLR redundant and cumbersome these days. Night mode was an issue, which is more or less resolved in today's smartphone cameras.

The only thing lacking in smartphone cameras is proper Zoom, which is the main reason I use my ageing DSLR for. I have not used the prime or the 18-55 mm lens in almost 2 years, with those duties handled easily by the smartphone camera. I only use the 55-200 mm lens on the DSLR. But now the camera is more than a decade old and showing signs of wear, both on the body as well as the lens. Thinking of going in for a mirrorless camera with only a telephoto lens to handle those duties.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks