Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your current photography gear?
APS-C DSLR Cameras with fully-owned set of lenses ( Small sensor devices such as the DX ) 80 19.80%
APS-C DSLR Cameras with some own lens but I rent the niche lenses 22 5.45%
Fullframe DSLR Cameras with fully-owned set of lenses ( such as the FX series by Nikon ) 38 9.41%
Fullframe DSLR Cameras some own lens but I rent the niche lenses 8 1.98%
Mirrorless Cameras 54 13.37%
Body-mounted Action Cameras such as Go-Pro 19 4.70%
Basic Point and Shoot Cameras 22 5.45%
I only use my cellphone Camera for all my photography now 219 54.21%
I take along a more serious-photographer friend 3 0.74%
I don't care anymore 39 9.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 404. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2022, 18:57   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
I spent a bit on my phone (used to earlier wonder why) to stop missing capturing moments the way I would by not always having my D-SLR but it's worth the miss evaluating over missing the moment..
The ‘moment’ is everything and beyond, in photography. According to me anyway.
This submission is illustrated beyond a shadow of doubt, by the photograph below which was taken in Paris a few years ago on my iPhone XS Max.
The photo is absolutely ‘in the moment’ , ‘for the moment’ and ‘of the moment’.
The Wraith Cyclist of Paris…I am rather pleased with it so I made an NFT of it.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-ace3c48110c84a0e9b8dfee5d6130764.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 19:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
How do smartphones with the add-on lenses like moment or sandmarc play out ? Would the glasses bring in better photos ? Thinking of getting one for iphone 13 (not the pro)
These lenses are only good for fun factor, not image quality.
ajay0612 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 20:09   #63
BHPian

I bought the Sony Alpha A 180 back in 2015 for 55,000 rs. At that time it was the world's fastest auto focus camera and is a mirrorless or a micro four thirds cam. Pretty nifty product! Its much more compact than a DSLR and gets the job more than done.
Old 27th September 2022, 20:53   #64
BHPian

For portraits almost exclusively i use my phone whichever one that is at hand, but for everything else, i use my half a decade old Sony A6000 with the duo of kit lenses.
Some samples from the "Camera" camera.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc0536.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc0633.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc0923.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc4407.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc4329.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc0405.jpg  

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-_dsc0615.jpg  

Precision is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 20:59   #65
BHPian

DSLR requires some skill, while mobile is user friendly but it is still the passport to good photography. Since we rarely require photographs for blowing up them, we may feel mobile is good but group photographs along with night photography, DSLR is way ahead.
Old 27th September 2022, 21:21   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
This poll is as predictable as it is misleading and unnecessary.
I’m the one who’s going to agree with this wholeheartedly. Yes, I did vote there but to make it point I’m posting here also. It all boils down to what you’re looking at as photography or what is right for you.

Quote:
Certainly smart phones have their place. And there is real merit in putting a camera in everyone's hands. Democratization of photography is a wonderful thing and it is wonderful for more people's perspectives to be presented to the world.
Yes, it’s a great development indeed. What we were only describing earlier can be shown and shared now. New generation phone camera’s are also offering fantastic quality nowadays. I feel pics from phone cameras are good for documentation and with good quality these days. Can this replace a full-fledged camera? I think not.
Recently I just made a trip for a drive and it was a tight and timebound one. Despite knowing that I was carrying almost close to 10kg of my camera gear and ended up using my phone essentially. Again, documentation there was the key and the picture quality was acceptable.
Some are moving from DSLR to mirrorless and their main excuse is DSLRs camera weight. I don’t know how often they use their cameras to justify that reason. I often face question like when’re you switching to mirrorless? I’ll hold on to my DSLR as long as it works properly. Most of my work is with tripod mounted camera with tethered shooting and I don’t really care about the weight.

So coming back to what one should use? Answer is simple. Use what suits your requirement best.
Rudra Sen is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 21:42   #67
BHPian

I use a Nikon D90 and I have a few lenses to go with it which I use according to situation.

I enjoy using it alongside my iPhone and an action cam

Some shots from my dad’s garden
The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-41389ce2506248948e6fec4170150466.jpeg

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-3e6a7aba3fce4c40833662fa00027514.jpeg

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-5a6047480c9040de88952dc3f5cf5eb9.jpeg
2himanshu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 22:05   #68
Senior - BHPian

"Best camera is the one you have with you" it has long been said.

So what can you have with you when you want to take a pic (or 1,000 pics)?

Phone's always in the pocket, so it's highly useful in that regard, but the display can glare and is tough to see in bright light or even to hold properly in some situations - and it's hard to be as quick with one in general, because it usually requires more time to get settings through menus than it would with ergonomically placed, programmable hard buttons and dials on a "proper" camera. And yeah, the zoom thing.

Back in the day I would carry two (film) Prosumer DSLR's with extended grips and five lenses, filters (and several dozen rolls of film), etc... And all that carried in bags on my person on the bike. Seems crazy in retrospect but didn't bother me at the time and I did take some great pics...

Got into Sony DSLT's some years ago, same deal - two bodies and 5-6 lenses, but mainly used for events and such - For biking went to compacts (Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji) with relatively fast built-in zooms (nothing smaller than f2.8 at the long end). Fuji X10 was a real standout there btw... unbelievable IQ and colors.

I gave the DSLT's out on long-term loan as they'd mostly been gathering dust/fungus the past few years - but reclaimed one before going to Ladakh this past time, and was SO glad I did. In the car the relative bulk is no issue, and the thing is just so much more capable and functional in most respects than any phone. I'm not talking about pure IQ, which may be no better - but the controls, proper viewfinder, flip-up/down LCD for overhead / ground-level / out-the-car-window shots, the firm grip you can get on the thing, the range and speed and IQ of zoomed shots... there is just no comparison.

When compact mirrorless came along I researched extensively and came close to taking the plunge, but even a few years in, they seemed a bit immature as a product. Then got thinking the smaller size gives less grip and is really no advantage to me if I'm travelling by car... And when touring by bike everything gets so dusty /gritty that I in no way want to be changing lenses and exposing the sensor/ innards to all that - so fixed-lens units are better IMO.

So it's the A58 DSLT for epic car journeys (favoring the 16-105mm Sony as an all-rounder, their lightweight 35mm prime alongside for anything really special), or with a couple faster/longer lenses for events; the compact Olympus Stylus-1 or (sluggish but lovable) Samsung TL500 for longer bike rides or general travel, and the humble Redmi 8A (which has a nice Exmor sensor) for daily/ everything else.

All of these are technically outdated but I don't really care, they generally get the job done well enough.

Taking good pics is helped by good, functional equipment, but a good eye, quick mind, steady hand, some imagination and a high level of famíliarity with whatever camera you've got take you much further.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 27th September 2022 at 22:35.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th September 2022, 22:17   #69
BHPian

I use DSLR'S with dedicated lenses for 2 reasons. One is clinical photography of my patients (as I am a Dermatologist) and for birds and wildlife photography which is my passion. Both are irreplaceable and need best kit possible. For birds a long telephoto Prime lens like 500mm f/4 L with a fast body like 1DX2 is a must. For clinical photography a portrait lens like 100mm f/2.8 macro with a DSLR is ideal as one needs right lighting, aperture and focal length. I have not felt the need to upgrade to Mirrorless yet. And for all other travel and casual photography an iPhone or a good Android like Samsung will do just fine.
My kit
1DX II and 5D Mark IV
100-400 L II
500mm f/4 L IS II
100mm f/2.8 IS Macro

Last edited by XDriver : 27th September 2022 at 22:21.
Old 27th September 2022, 23:37   #70
BHPian

I used to lug around a DSLR and lenses when I was younger and before I had kids. But now i do not. Simply because is too much of a bother to have one extra piece of luggage to carry around, with kids stuff etc.

Now most of the time I use a cell phone. When I desire higher quality I use Sony RX100 MK-2. A camera that is pocketable but delivers stellar image quality.
Old 28th September 2022, 00:15   #71
BHPian

My interest is on wildlife photography, and I only have telephoto zoom and prime Lenses.
I was having a wide-angle Lens that was sold recently since I was not using it.

Currently I use Nikon D500 paired with 200-500 f/5.6, 500 f/4 or 70-300 f4.5-6.3. Waiting for Nikon Z series to catch up with Sony/Canon mirrorless in terms on autofocus.
For scenery, I use iPhone

Also have the Sony Cybershot P200, Panasonic FZ80 in working condition which are around 18 and 14 Years old respectively. My wildlife interest started with Panasonic FZ80.
Last Month I cleaned those and give to my kids to see if they are interested in photography.
arunrajk81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 00:43   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

@mohansrides has described most of the points very lucidly about the whole debate in a previous post. Immensely satisfying to read his views, so thank you.

I have a simple theory- I might be wrong but in my view, despite the technology that mobile cameras are equipped with these days, they can’t replace the sensors that the DSLR’s possess, not yet. But despite that, I have seen people with full frame cameras clicking some of the worst pictures and some people clicking superlative pictures with relatively simple mobile cameras. Hence, I agree with @Rudra sir above- to each his own.

The mobile cameras are no doubt handy, they are incredibly handy when you want something to be recorded and are not prepared for fully in regards to a proper camera. The IPhones and the likes have taken the mobile photography to an incredible level but despite that, nothing beats a prime lens paired with a full frame sensor. And since it is a thread about pictures, sharing a picture here with no edits. No points for guessing the equipment though

The 2022 Camera Trends Poll | Do you still use DSLRs the way you used to?-157c146cc0e0470da764a0ec2414cf79.jpeg

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 28th September 2022 at 01:06.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 00:58   #73
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

I still use my DSLR camera, don’t think I will switch to mirror less as yet. Nikon mirror less still needs an adapter to fit my current lenses.
Old 28th September 2022, 08:18   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see that at least about 1/3 of folks still voted for a proper camera - not just P&S. About 2/3's are happy with what their phone provide.

The discussion about cameras is like people saying their high GC vehicle will be enough no matter what road conditions. To some extent, yes. But when push comes to shove, only a proper 4x4 can go the distance. I'd say it's the same with cameras. The enthusiasts and ones who are willing to put in the effort towards their photographic interests will continue with their cameras.

Mobile phones have come a long way, but they still can only do the casual shooting. Then again, this progress in their capabilities combined with the spread of SM today has diluted the whole photography thing to becoming a commodity - shoot it, post it, forget it. May be some will help capture memories, but most times even the shooter will forget the pics he has taken.

More than the trend about camera's, the poll and discussion is pointing to the trend about how people see photography. Like with everything, things have changed and will continue to change. And people too - like me, who started with an interest, did explore some, but slowly moving on to other things also because of the drop in travel.

Nice discussion, folks.
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2022, 10:50   #75
BHPian

I am currently using a Nikon D3300 with a few lenses. I plan to upgrade to a full frame camera in future. I don't want to invest in a phone as a photography tool as it will get outdated in a few (2 or 3) years while a good camera gear will last me longer.
gunin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks