Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 06:23   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My wife who is the least technically inclined person in the universe could hear me arriving on my Bullet whilst I was still 2-3 streets away!
Jeroen
I think that might be a problem when most of us want to steal away in the morning though
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 07:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What are your pet obsolete technologies?
Many, but some of them are as under.

1. I used cassettes until 2014, until finally my in dash player became a no casette device.
2. Play MP3 CDs even today
3. The Head Unit in one of my cars doesn't play Bluetooth via all 4 speakers - only the front two fire via Bluetooth. So I still use an aux cable from boAt
4. No Android Auto /Apple Car Play yet
5. Still use a 2015 InkJet printer for my very limited printing requirements
6. Maintain accounts by writing 'em down old school style
7. Our refrigerator is 2005, and still going strong
8. Home aircon is an R-22 Carrier of 2010 vintage; rock solid and like a Toyota
9. Cars are 11 and 16 years young

In general, I don't change stuff until I've exhausted all options to get them back to working ways.

Last edited by vigsom : 26th December 2023 at 07:55.
vigsom is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 08:28   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

- I use wired earphones for my phone and laptop

- All my watches are analog ones

- I get my copy of newspaper every day. If I am travelling, I look for a vendor who can sell me one

- No smart devices at home. Just old school ones which work with a switch.

- I drive a manual car. The only “auto” feature in it is the folding mirrors. It doesn’t have any connected features too. In the last road trip, only 2 of us 6 knew how to drive a MT.

We have a new problem now. Most new phone chargers come with usb type C ports while my old adapter and ports in my car are usb type A. My 9 year old cable does duty well in the car. But this will lead to more ewaste.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th December 2023 at 08:34.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 09:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Winamp and MP3 files for music:

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-screenshot_1.jpg

Old metal 'almirah':

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20231226_085920.jpg

Wheel alignment without using computers, lasers, big data and artificial intelligence:

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20230109_120302.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 09:49   #20
BHPian

does still actively using a land-line and land-line phone count?
tilt is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 09:55   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
1. I listen to music content on CDs as well as movies on DVDs and play them using a Sony DVD Player that is 20+ years (connected to a Home Theatre system)
After reading some of the above posts I realised I’m much more old school and use many more “obsolete technologies” like folks here have mentioned, some of them (continuing my list from the previous post)
6. My day does not start without reading the good old newspaper, no online news for me.

7. I still use a pen and scribbling pad/notebook as my favourite and preferred mode of making notes during work meetings.

8. Still have an old Whirlpool refrigerator of 2009 vintage.

9. Used my Swift Dzire for 14.5 years before I sold it 6 months ago to buy a Tata Harrier

10. Love to read good old books, especially paperback (prefer them over hardbound). Recently bought 3 books on paperback

11. Still use a 40+ year old Godrej steel almirah and the scene looks so eerily similar to Smartcat’s home
Attached Thumbnails
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_0220.jpeg  

Last edited by NPV : 26th December 2023 at 10:01.
NPV is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 10:17   #22
BHPian

For me, it is watches. I don't know whether it is right to consider a mechanical watch as obsolete since it is still a sought after item but with what I see around me, it is definitely rare now. I tried a smart watch but it was extremely difficult for me. I absolutely hated it, particularly charging it every day. Went back to my trusted Speed master in no time.
josetom89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:15   #23
BHPian

The list is as follows for me

1. I drive a 2005 model Esteem which has done 1.6 lakhs kms and going strong
2. Ride a 2011 TVS Lego
3. I have a habit of writing diary and have maintained all the diaries from the year 2003!
4. Have steel almaraih like posted above by other members
5. Have a lot of house items which are more than 15 years and going strong
Oppanna is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 11:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Talking of wired ear buds, I have always preferred them and will usually buy a pair whenever buying a new phone. I bought a pair last January too while buying a new 5G phone, only to realize after going home it did not have a socket for the buds! I searched all around the phone without success. Then my son said most new phones from any brand don't have a socket for them and we must use bluetooth ear buds only! I was angry at the store fellow (Croma) for not telling me about this during the purchase.

Went straight back to the store and gave that fellow a piece of my mind, then bought a bluetooth bud. I could not return the wired one because I had already opened the pack. Fortunately I could use it with my desktop.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 13:01   #25
BHPian

I think I am someone who really likes cutting edge technology, old school stuff and many things in between. Not sure whether I fall into any category. And as far as a device works, I keep it.

My list is here.. starting with Automotive

1. Bike - Suzuki Fiero with Electric start - Since 2006-07
2. Car - i20 from 2009 to 2021
3. Car audio - from the previous car moved the Amplifier, Sub-woofer to the new car. Because Cars24 was not anyway valuing them and they sound great in the new car.
4. Bike - TVS Wego - Petrol - 2017 onwards

Household

6. Fridge - Double door - Since 2007
7. CTV - 2006 to 2015. I Think the TVs and other goods of the period are designed to last more. Now my household is a two TV household - LED ones. Resale value is much lower than the replacement value so retained the next TV and added one to the living room.
8. Most of the stuff is kitchen are decade old - Grinder, stove, chimney, oven etc

Gadgets

8. Apple ipod nano 2GB -2 units - Since 2007 i guess
9. Lenovo AIO desktop - 2016
10 Apple ipad - 2018
11. Bose Speakers - 2017
12. Nikon DSLR - 2010
13. Amazon Kindle 2018

Software (Yes)

14. Google Picasa 3.9 or so - For Photo library. Updates stopped in 2015 & Still works like a charm. Does anyone have a better photo library app to suggest ?

Not counting my Phone here, though I'm using it since 2018. It is not obselete.

My understanding of this exercise is,
A. while buying a product / service buy what is seemingly best that one can afford. Then retain for longer so that there is no half life need to replace or upgrade.

B.Holding things for long will keep the earth greener. Reuse, Reuse, Reuse before recycling. And then reduce usage wherever possible.

C. Buying pre-owned is ok. Some of the items I've mentioned were not bought first hand

Last edited by vigneshnr : 26th December 2023 at 13:04. Reason: incorrect serial number
vigneshnr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 13:06   #26

Wonderful thread, this is! I'm a big fan of the yesteryear technologies, and I use the following, which I absolutely love using on a daily basis:
1. A couple of fountain ink pens
2. An analogue, mechanical watch that needs to be wound up every 2 days
3. Aviator styled spectacles!
4. Not sure if this counts, but I still only get my shirts tailored with French cuffs
5. Bicycle- not that I ride much, but still got the Indian Roadster type of bike, which has a dynamo light attached to it!

and lastly, although not that obsolete, have a 2014 Bullet, with a carburetor and no fuel indicator, yet seeing the amp meter dancing and swinging a powerful kick start just makes my day!
Blue Express is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:00   #27

I am using a laptop running Windows 7 just for Internet Explorer.

Reason: Filing trademark applications is a 10 minute process on IE and Chrome combination, whereas it takes 45-60 minutes on Edge and Chrome combination The website requires changes certain permissions on Internet Options and a few software tweaks to enable Digital Signature. The learning curve is huge with Edge and near impossible with Safari, so just for the sake of my personal convenience in getting things done, I’m stuck with a Windows 7 laptop.
vetrivaaganam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:

I have never gotten into the swing of "writing on my iPad". I love a good ball or fountain pen and a nice notebook. I have a collection of various Moleskin notebooks. On my desk, and with me when I travel. Love those little books. I keep all the old ones and then I revisit them, look at some of the pages and what I wrote down.

Attachment 2548232

Yes, I have an iPhone 12 Pro and yes I will be replacing it with the new iPhone in the next few weeks. But I also have three iPods!

Attachment 2548224

One in the Alfa Spider, one in the Mercedes W123 and one in the Jaguar. I listen to my music on my iPods, using one of these "cassette" adaptors!

Jeroen
Your Handwriting is just WOW. I mean its been a long time since i got so impressed by something.

Ipods- They will still remain my distant dream. I used to own Philips Go Mp3 Players. My teenage was only of listening to music and studying. Pure Addict.

You have got a great Tastebuds Buddy! Keep up
iampulo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:09   #29
BHPian

I spent quite a few of my initial years in a nondescript part of the eastern region of India. Later I got married to someone with a government job which involved regular transfers every year. In such a situation, holding on to old technological items was quite difficult. However, even after all these years, two items come to mind that I have still not been able to let go.

The first item is a Favre Leuba branded hand-wound alarm type table clock that my grandfather father bought from a pawn shop in London when he had gone there for his medical studies in the 1940s. My mother gifted it to me when I passed the 10th grade examination which was a big deal back then in our neck of the woods especially for females. It has to be hand wound every 26 hours. Fun fact : It still has the original hands with the radium based radioactive paint

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-images-6.jpeg

The other was a Philips D8334 model 2 cassette player/recorder with multiple radio bands. My husband bought it for me after my marriage in the late 1980s. I would often listen to Radio Ceylon (from Sri Lanka), Radio Rangoon (Yangon from Burma/Myanmar), BBC, etc. A particular favourite of mine was the Vatican Radio which would be broadcasting Christmas carols especially at this time of the year. Akashvani Radio was one of my favourites too. We ran through many 1.5 volt D-cells since we didn't have 24x7 electricity then. Fun fact : Today's generation would likely never know why cotton ear buds and pencils were necessary for these

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-images-5.jpeg

Disclaimer : I found the two images above on the internet which show the ones I have exactly. Frankly, I was feeling too lazy to go find these in the storeroom of my home under all the other stuff but I can assure you that they are in a perfectly working condition and have never needed repairs.

I hope that you enjoyed reading about the olden times. I wish you all happy and safe drives ahead.

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 26th December 2023 at 14:21.
Chhanda Das is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:26   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
I still like to play music in the car via my trusted USB pen-drive. Apple Carplay etc is fine when in the city, but the moment I have to step out of Mumbai, my Sandisk 256 GB has been the trusted companion for songs.
This is my preferred music source too. Keeps me less distracted and the shuffle mode keeps my excitement ON. Although I have looped the entire collecton N number of times.

I am anxious if anyone can bless me by sharing their Old Evergreen Hindi Songs collection.
These days I am finding it difficult to download good quality (128kbps above) songs in bunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I got a Casio F91W this year.

The ultimate light-wali watch from my childhood. The watch hobby has slowly started to catch me as a result!
That's a great start. I too started loving my Casio G-shock G5600UE and have become a timless fan of Casio. Too rugged for a mortal man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
It's difficult to beat me in this.

Attachment 2548474

Onto the right is a Philips music system which I was gifted by my dad way back in 2000. It's cassette player, CD player and Radio receiver still work flawlessly. It doesn't play MP3 or DVD and doesn't have a USB port either, leave aside Bluetooth and other frills. But what is does well is play music with lot of depth and I still love listening to the old cassettes and CDs (12-15 tracks in a CD).

Both are my prized possessions.
This reminds me of my childhood days when father purchased a Philips 1200W Music System with the exact same functionality. Used to cling on that with Wired Earphones, sit on my tea table as cable length was limited. kept me hooked for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Talking of wired ear buds, I have always preferred them and will usually buy a pair whenever buying a new phone.
That is always on my Must have feature list( a 3.5mm Audio Jack) while buying a new phone. Even I can survive with those adapters that high end one-plus or Samsung phones provide. But never with complete Wireless mode as in Apple. Some things like no adapter, no earphone jack kept irking me from Apple and now almost all high end phones.
iampulo is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks