Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2023, 14:30   #31
BHPian

Re: How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?

I am fan of using stuff for a long time and hence have a few old technologies

1. iPod touch, which I bought in 2011 along with a speaker dock. This ran on the old 30 pin port and not the new lightning type ones. I still listen to music and carried it to Berlin .

2. Big fan of mechanical watches. I have one mid budget one ( Hamilton Jazzmaster day date) and a couple of cheap ones ( Invicta , citizen) despite having an Apple Watch.

3. My office headset is Jabra which is USB wired. Don’t like blue tooth headsets as I feel they may lose connectivity during a call. Fine to use my AirPods /
Other blue tooth stuff for personal calls.

4. Big fan of physical books and have a small library at home which I couldn’t carry here ..
charanreddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 14:52   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

What a fun idea for a thread!

Let me see:

1. I still use an iPod Shuffle on a daily basis. Find it easiest to use when running, or while commuting on the Metro. Easy to move songs ahead with one hand, while in the pocket. Of course, wired headphones since the shuffle can't 'connect'!

2. I have a 25-year old desktop running Windows 98. Well, I don't really "use" it. But I do boot it up once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
It's difficult to beat me in this....
Onto the left is a manually wound gramophone player inherited from my grandfather.
You sir, have won this thread! Hard to see anyone will have anything older than this that we still use on a regular basis! But will be interesting to see.

(On a more general note though, there must be tons of devices that haven't changed for decades that all of us use daily around the house. Scissors (the same for centuries?), cutlery, and things like that come to mind at once. Must be a lot more.)

Last edited by am1m : 26th December 2023 at 14:55.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 15:04   #33

Thats my obsolete tech!

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-whatsapp-image-20231226-3.03.20-pm.jpeg
yzfaddict is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 15:23   #34
BHPian

Internet Forums 😄🤞.
iTunes
Torrents
ambarkhan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 15:24   #35
BHPian

1. HMT Avinash wristwatch purchased in 1986 when I was a 1st year college student. I am wearing it fairly regularly.

2. HMT Jubilee wristwatch gifted on my marriage day in 2002. This has become a sort of frankenwatch due to a mismatched metal strap. Still being used occasionally.

3. Toshiba Satellite C650 with pre-installed Windows 7 (2010). The keyboard had malfunctioned, so it was disconnected and a USB keyboard is connected while used now and then for Adobe Pagemaker installed in it. The original battery is still in usable state.

4. Core2 Duo E8400 based Desktop (procured the used cpu from ebay circa 2014). The OS and data from the original HDD had been transferred to a SATA SSD and then the HDD was disconnected. Windows 10 (free upgrade from licensed Windows 8) is working well in it. Internet connectivity is taken care of through a D-Link USB wifi adapter.

5. Ritcomp 101 Key Mechanical AT keyboard. It is being used with the desktop using an AT to PS2 converter. This one just refuses to die, not a single key. It came with my original assembled 486 based desktop of 1997.

6. HP Laserjet 1020 (2006) in working condition at office.

7. Canon LBP 2900 (circa 2010) working flawlessly after a recent replacement of some sensor.
tortoiseNhare is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 16:03   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I have never gotten into the swing of "writing on my iPad". I love a good ball or fountain pen and a nice notebook. I have a collection of various Moleskin notebooks. On my desk, and with me when I travel. Love those little books. I keep all the old ones and then I revisit them, look at some of the pages and what I wrote down.
Jeroen
On tangential note, i envy your handwriting. This coming from a person, who wrote letter to his mom and she waited till the person came to decipher it.

I like old electrical and electronic gadgets. I will somehow repair it and use it. my old 2016 smart phone, still has latest custom android and i use it for different purposes as needed.
vennarbank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 16:32   #37
BHPian

Things that I own that could be considered "Old school"
1. Sennheiser Wired Earphones
Probably, one of my most cherished items. From playing awesome RPGs to listening to splendid music on YouTube, this German innovation has been a godsend. Despite my carelessness and apparent mishandling, it has stood the test of time for more than 5 years albeit with a service or two thrown in.

2. Casio digital watch
2018 was when I bought this beauty from one of my most cherished companies. To say that this is tough would be an understatement. Its been through scorching sunlight, wonderful winters, and rambunctuous rains. Its 10-year battery warranty seems to hold weight since I haven't had to change its cell once in my 6-year ownership period.
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 17:41   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Went straight back to the store and gave that fellow a piece of my mind, then bought a bluetooth bud. I could not return the wired one because I had already opened the pack. Fortunately I could use it with my desktop.
You can always buy a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter like this one:
https://www.oneplus.in/product/oneplus-type-c-adapter
That's what I did with my phone.

I still use fountain pens (a couple from my school days have survived). Anything else doesn't feel the same. I also tend to have better handwriting with it.

Analogue watches: I could never get used to a smart watch somehow. Plus the need to charge it everyday is frustrating.

Newspapers and Books: Don't like to read for long hours on a screen. The feel of finely printed words on paper is irreplaceable for me.

Butterfly Razor: In my experience, much more precise than the infinity-blade contraptions of today.
rahulpandita is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 18:13   #39
BHPian

1. My daily driver is a 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5 Speed with over 342k kms on odometer. A no-nonsense, practical, cheap-to-run car that is perfect for a 19-year old. It is utterly reliable and is extremely light on my wallet in terms of maintenance costs, 80 percent of the spares (MGP) are easily available too.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20231226__18.12.02.jpeg

2. I still wear traditional analogue watches, so that I'm free from the inconvenience of recharging. Honestly speaking, I find smartwatches to be boring, although I own a couple of them. Analogue watches have a distinctive character, each are unique, classy and elegant in its own way. Smartwatches generally looks similar to each other (in most cases).
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_20230405_224054.jpg

3. My iPod Classic 30GB is still being used on a daily basis. Dad bought this brand new in 2004, and it still works like a charm even after 19 years. This is the one and only iPod that I've ever used. I must admit that this one of the best devices ever made by Apple, 30GB of storage space meant a lot back then. Connecting this to a PC requires a fair bit of effort though. This device doesn't support Bluetooth of course, so I use a wired Sony headset to hear music.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_20230506_211807.jpg

4. I still have my Sony Handycam DCR-DVD403 of 2006 vintage in perfect working condition. I rarely use it nowadays, but I'd love to maintain it as long as possible, as there are tons of memories attached with this camera for me.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-received_710091799201595.jpeg

5. I had a old-school Pioneer cassette player in my Maruti till December 2022. Later on, I moved to a BT-compatible touchscreen head unit to attend phone calls while driving. There's an in-built microphone, whenever there is a phone call, the music switches off and i am able to hear the voice through the speakers as soon as i take the call and speak through the microphone. Attending calls while driving with the device kept in hand is a risky affair.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-fb_img_1685954687624.jpg

Last edited by Shreyfiesta : 26th December 2023 at 18:14.
Shreyfiesta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 18:32   #40
BHPian

My obsolete list is as follows

1.) My Tissot quartz watch from 2000 (still haven't got used to a smart watch)
2.) Wired USB mouse
3.) Wired headphones especially when attending meetings (need not worry about losing power)
4.) Gillette Mach 3 razor stick from 1999 (college days in London)
5.) iPhone 7 from 2017 (serves the purpose)
6.) Swatch quartz watch from 2005 (marriage gift)
7.) My 2007 Royal Enfield Bullet 350 (left brake, neutral lever, amp meter)
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 19:36   #41
BHPian

A few things that come to my mind...

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_20231226_071320370.jpg
My daily shaver kit. The centre piece being a vintage Gillette double edge safety razor that's probably 50 years old, handed down to me by my Dad.

-----------------------------

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_20231226_183746443.jpg
All the six watches I own are analog. My favourite is this hand wound, all mechanical HMT Akash that I bought in 2014, the year the iconic Indian watch maker shut shop.

------------------------------

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_20231226_183456081.jpg
The old tech south Indian "filter coffee" percolator

------------------------------

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_20231111_1526336793.jpg
And finally, does this count? An ancient 90's slush box in a 2023 Jimny?!
cogWheel is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 19:49   #42

1. Philips GoGear (then a cheaper alternative to iPod) - Use it to listen to music before sleeping. Helps a bit in cutting screen time. Due to the lack of similar options today, I might buy a feature phone to replace this shortly, as the GoGear battery is on the verge of giving up.
2. Wired earphones - Works with GoGear and my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7.
3. Wagon R (2016) - Lacks modern features like steering mounted audio control, touch screen, foldable mirrors, etc. Still a mechanically reliable car and one of the best to drive around in Bangalore traffic. Highway use is occasional but would be gradually increasing. Likely upgrade to a safer compact car as highway use increases.
4. Suzuki GS150R (2010) - My biking is regular but short distances only. That occasional 20-30 km commute is no problem as the bike is still mechanically reliable. Have stopped taking it outside city. May consider upgrading if the use increases.
5. Scooty Streak (2010) - For nearby errands only, within 5 km radius. Engine is great but some other parts need replacement soon. I might buy another scooter instead.
skatte is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 20:27   #43
BHPian

Presenting my fully functional Casio SF-3990 digital diary in all its glory having 128KB of storage!

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-casio.jpg

I replaced the battery only last month, maybe for the 3rd time since purchase. It still works like a charm. Not much of new information goes into it but I keep it powered to retain all the old contacts and info - mostly obsolete but very nostalgic every time I scroll through the names and numbers.

The first one I had was the SF 3300 with 32 KB of memory. Very much a useful gadget back then in the era of landline telephones. The second one shown above was purchased sometime in the mid 2000s after I lost the first one while travelling. One of my classmates in school (late 90's) used to bring an advanced model to class which had poker/ blackjack built-in. I think that is how I came to know about the existence of such a product from Casio.
itisravi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 23:03   #44
BHPian

Old school slanted safety razor - love the auditory feedback while shaving
And watches.

While I find cars to be increasing function assets which depreciate - I prefer to splurge on watches. Probably not a very popular thing to say on an automotive forum though ��

Last edited by invidious : 26th December 2023 at 23:05.
invidious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2023, 23:28   #45
BHPian

While not necessary tech, I prefer physical books over the e-versions. Public library system here in the states is a great boon for people like me.

Still have a 2005 IPod going strong, attached to a charger/speaker setup from Bestbuy. Remote allows operations on the IPod. The same works with our prius connected over the USB with dash buttons allowing control.

Am and will be a great fan of wristwatches, although only have 1 which is the manual winding one.

An 'ustara' (straight razor) typically used by barbers for shaving at home, Mercur SS safety razor for travel. No multi-blade for me. This is followed by using an alum block (Paththar) post shave.

I disposed off a ton of audio/video tapes recently and CDs after ripping them off as MP3s. Still holding onto some film SLRs however getting film processed is prohibitively expensive and not easily available. Most places will not send back the negatives but provide an option to get prints and soft copies instead. Daughter bought one of those disposable cameras some time ago and the total cost from purchase to processing was upwards of USD 20 !!!
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks