Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2023, 18:26   #61

Re: How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrivaaganam View Post
I am using a laptop running Windows 7 just for Internet Explorer.

Reason: Filing trademark applications is a 10 minute process on IE and Chrome combination, whereas it takes 45-60 minutes on Edge and Chrome combination The website requires changes certain permissions on Internet Options and a few software tweaks to enable Digital Signature. The learning curve is huge with Edge and near impossible with Safari, so just for the sake of my personal convenience in getting things done, I’m stuck with a Windows 7 laptop.
You don't have to run an entire OS to use the Old IE. There are two alternate ways to go about this:
- Download the .exe/msi of the old version from softonic/oldversion or similar websites
- Use IE compatability mode on Edge which it ships with. You don't have to install anything and here is an article showing you how to do it on Edge.
crazy_coyote166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 23:26   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NajSaf View Post
3) Do not worry about tiny things like wired mice, earphones, wrist watches etc..

All in all, use them to your heart's content, but prefer new technology when you are buying new items!

I am deeply sorry for my rant here and apologise if I have hurt anyone's sentiment.
You should definitely worry about little things specially if you care about the environment. A good quality wired mice/keyboard/ earphone are better than a good quality wireless. Daily driving a wireless mouse keyboard cost me new batteries every month, even with the rechargeable batteries it's just wasteful. Same goes with earphones, once the battery is dead, they are pretty useless.

I am all for newer technology, always have been. I was using disc when not many people had even heard about it. I hail from the generation of dial ups. But not everything is black and white and newer is not always better.

Nothing to apologize for, Critical discussions are important because they help people evaluate information, identify biases, and make informed judgments.
Ltinsane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:19   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nostalgia apart, I would strongly recommend my brethren to switch over to the newer (not necessarily the "newest") technologies as much as possible. My bid is as follows:
1) For ex.. I like listening to music -- but do not want to play around with old cassette players or burn CDs -- both consume immense plastic apart from wasting my time.
2) Respect nature and environment -- use a BH-VI car if it is possible. Apart from a lot of hype, there is an iota of truth in it. So also, respect the noise elements. We really generate a lot of noise -- what with our incessant honking and shouting on roads and wherever possible!
3) Do not worry about tiny things like wired mice, earphones, wrist watches etc..

All in all, use them to your heart's content, but prefer new technology when you are buying new items!

I am deeply sorry for my rant here and apologise if I have hurt anyone's sentiment.
There is a slight difference.
In each of the old technology that we continue using, we have already incurred the carbon debit way back in past.
Any shift to new tech, howsoever low carbon footprint it may have, will lead to overall increase only.
What we are doing is to not bow down to consumerism. Consumerism that is fueling most of the pollution, and unfortunately it is consumerism that is powering our global economic growth.

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd January 2024 at 12:20.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 14:33   #64
BHPian

I use a bunch of desktop PCs. I still have the 2009 Core 2 Duo system running Windows XP, dedicated to playing games from that era when you would install from a CD and enter a serial number.

My Windows XP installation also has a bunch of other obsolete apps like Winamp, Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, and Picasa.

I have never owned a laptop. The only one I have is the office laptop which too I use as a CPU - connect to a monitor/ keyboard/ mouse and work on a desk.

I am not a fan of wireless devices, because almost always I will forget to charge it and/ or charge will get depleted when I want to use. Whether it is a keyboard, mouse, controller, or a gamepad, it is always wired to the PC. Cable management is not a big deal for me - I just move them away from sight as much possible

I am an avid reader, every year I get a bunch of books from Amazon or a physical bookstore, I also try to make it to the annual Kolkata Book Fair if possible, though it has lost some charm over the years, not the least due to newer locations. I do have a Tab where I read ebooks occasionally - but paper books are usually what I read more.

I also had physical newspaper subscription until a few years, but I have stopped it because I find subtle half-truths in most of the leading publications, if the pages are not already filled with ads. An assorted set of headlines on the browser home page is good enough for tracking current affairs.

Quote:
prefer new technology when you are buying new items
In many cases we already do not get to buy old tech, so there may not be much of a choice. For example, most "good" phones nowadays do not come with a headphone jack. Many bookstores have closed down, Amazon largely promotes kindle over paperbacks and hardcovers, etc.

Regarding environment concerns, it is much better for the environment if we continue to use old products that are working fine, rather than buying a new tech just because it is new.

And newer ones do not necessarily mean carbon-efficient. This is because the quality of consumer electronics have fallen over the years, so we have to buy more of them to carry through the same period of time. For example, my 2002 Samsung wired PS2 keyboard lasted more than 10 years, until a liquid spill. Even without such a mishap, any keyboard in the current market for same price adjusted for inflation (i.e. about 2k), would be considered great if it lasted even 5 years without any key becoming unresponsive. Same with mechanical hard disks - IDE quality vs SATA.

As for compact discs, for long term storage this is still the most cost-effective and safe compared to any 3:2:1 rules. A Blue-Ray or M-Disc is supposed to preserve data for more than 50 years. That is not possible with a single hard disk - mechanical or solid state.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 15:41   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Since this thread is about technology, truth be told- I still use many of them and I am absolutely fine with those as well. I use CD’s in my car as well as home extensively to listen to music. I still have my Philips Walkman with me and which is working fine as well. An absolute brilliant product called Apple IPod Classic with 160 GB storage is my constant companion on flights. I still don’t know why Apple stopped producing that absolute gem !!

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_3007.jpeg

As much as I like listening songs through Apple Music and the Bose sound system, one thing still brings a smile in these times and which looks like this :

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-img_3001.jpeg

This tiny original record player from the yesteryears is something that I cherish. It brings back many memories every time I play it. Unfortunately, the player had its pin damaged recently and I am yet to replace it.

As one can see, everything is about music only. My Philips Powerhouse stereo system that I got as a gift from my father after finishing school still does the duty in my home. It didn’t have CD player in built but I added a Sony DVD player later on anyways.

Regarding phones, I still yearn for something like a BlackBerry. Such a pity that they couldn’t keep up after the touch screens took over !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 22:08   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
This tiny original record player from the yesteryears is something that I cherish. It brings back many memories every time I play it. Unfortunately, the player had its pin damaged recently and I am yet to replace it.
This reminds me that I need to restore my Mom's Philips record player from her school days.

Being a Ecosport fan, you must remember that Kolkata Navigators from Ecosport Discoveries presented the LP record scene in the City Of Joy 10 yrs back

Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2024, 21:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

I guess I belong to the opposite end of the spectrum.

I disposed off my cassette collection when I shifted residence in March 2022. Only cassette I retained was a 3 minute tape that had my voice as a toddler. There are 2 players with my parents, but it hasn't been used in a decade.

I still have my CD/DVD/Bluray collection that I had collected between mid 2000s to early 2010s. Its not actively used, as there is no player.

The oldest relic in use by my parents is the Sony Bravia 21 inch CRT I bought in 2007, which has worked like a cockroach since the day it was purchased.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 09:00   #68
BHPian

I like my "obsolete" tech to be running. A few of my "obsolete tech" which are still running.

A Murphy AM radio.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20240104_213116.jpg
A Veneer time switch
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20240104_213417.jpg
A Seikosha wall clock.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20240104_213221.jpg
An analog Multi.
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20240105_073237.jpg
Tin toys. (Yeah, )
How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-20240105_073220.jpg
This is apart from the three vintage bikes that i own, a few watches and other obsolete techs that are under various stages of resto. I haven't posted pics of Posters and ad boards which are not exactly "Obsolete Tech".
srini1785 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th January 2024, 13:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I am an engineer by trade and consider myself a techy by heart. I love technology and any bit of new technology has my interest.
Even so, there appears to be plenty of so-called "obsolete technology" that I am still using. Or if I am not using it, I might be secretly craving it!
Ditto and an excellent thread, loved reading all the responses and was amazed at how some of the things are so common across members but more importantly since there are others too it just feels better

Quote:
I see the same all around me. Our good friends Berndt and Loes must own at least 7 or 8 different kinds of modern coffee makers. From Nespresso machines to Senseo and a bunch more. But they still revert to traditional paper filters with some ground coffee in it onto which they pour hot water! My eldest sister won't drink any coffee unless made with one of these complicated old percolators.
Coffee to me was the instant coffee, Bangalore introduced me to filter coffee, the cafes introduced me to finer blends and ground coffees, used a Nespresso for 6+ years, loved it but finally down to where it all began, fresh filter coffee with a jar of Nescafe Classic as backup.

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-pxl_20231228_032547863.jpg

Quote:
What is it with these wireless earbuds and earphones?
Give me a set with some proper wires to it anytime! Much safer, you won't lose it.
Exactly, tried them, didn't find them useful and didn't want another thing to charge in my life.
Also, when people see a wire trailing they will be aware that their voices/warnings aren't being heard and if you're looking in their direction and talking its not directed towards them. Like the indicators on cars.

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-pxl_20240105_063516108.portrait.jpg

Quote:
a proper, real, paper book.
Can't study without a proper notebook and a nice ballpoint.
Ditto. Books are the go to option, but with online classes being the norm this is how my "hybrid" setup looks like:

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-pxl_20240105_064529179.jpg

Quote:
But a real watch is a mechanical watch. No mistake!!
True, I never really fancied a smartwatch unless they rid me of the burden of the carrying the phone during long walks/running at a reasonable cost of charging effort and money.
Currently I have a digital and a mechanical but as an indulgence someday I would be looking at a mechanical field watch.

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-pxl_20240105_063307859.portrait.jpg

Quote:
But I also have three iPods!
iPod Shuffle, loved the original, love the update even more. Clipped to the shorts, wire routed under the T-shirt, my perfect running companion.

How much "obsolete technology” do you still use?-pxl_20240105_063122241.jpg

Quote:
Give me a button any time.
Absolutely.
This reply/post had to wait from day one because I wanted to get some spare time on the computer with a keyboard. Quoting and trimming your post on a screen, that was too much for me.

Quote:
But you stick to your guns and persist in using these "obsolete technologies" because they are just better!!
Always have always will, because they're just better.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 11:22   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Not sure if this counts but I occasionally use Windows XP and 98 virtual machines for some old games and softwares.
vikeva027 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks