Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2007, 18:40   #1
BHPian

tatasky and dishtv can't be installed??!!

Hi All,

A friend and I are moving in together to a large gated community. Right now we both stay in independent houses and have our own tata sky and dishtv respectively. The plan was that once we move in together we can continue to use both the dishes with our individual tvs. However the society people have a policy against dishes on the terrace and are saying you can connect the dish on your balcony window. The appt is on 3rd floor (total 7-8 floors) and i think the balcony is west facing. The building mgr also said for this appt dish will not work due to direction and you will need to use the hathway stuff.

Technically speaking I understand that there maybe scenarios where it may not work, but then shouldn't tata or dish mention that installation is subject to conditions and availability of line of sight to satellite. Also if someone buys and then they can't fit the dish is the money refunded by tata and dish. In our case we have already paid for next 6-8 months!! Should we expect that money lost

Any advice will be nice
Old 19th November 2007, 18:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

the dish might work.. the easiest thing to do would be to call the tata sky guys and ask them whether it would work.
Old 19th November 2007, 18:44   #3
BHPian

I cannot speak of DishTV as I have no idea, but have you spoken to TataSky Customer Care? Give them a call and explain your situation. Maybe they come up with something. Relocation with TataSky will cost you 1000 bucks. Find out and keep us informed.
Old 19th November 2007, 18:58   #4
Team-BHP Support

if you have open space next to your balcony, lil clamping work could solve this issue, check with installers they should have some work around
Old 19th November 2007, 22:36   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

You will have to pay 1000rs for reinstallation of tatasky! Leave it to them they should be able to find a way and do it.
Old 19th November 2007, 22:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I don't think anyone has understood the issue. The dish needs line of sight and it is quite impossible if your flat does not have the right orientation.

No amount of clamping is going to help.

@Jassi. Talk to your nieghbour, maybe he will allow you to clamp the dish to his wall and you can pull an extra length cable.
Old 19th November 2007, 23:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sky dish should be facing a particular direction for it to work effectively (50-60 deg / south-east i guess).

There maynot be a sollution to this prob except fitting it in an area where it can face the required direction without any obstructions.

Shan2nu
Old 19th November 2007, 23:41   #8
BHPian

i think the direction for tatasky is supposed to be northeast and needs line of sight towards insat (cant remember number 2d maybe). However even if they clamp it like a foot out the building's higher floors will block the line of sight towards satellite.

Now I dont want to pay 1000rs to be told it wont work and now you have lost your 1000rs as well as the 1800rs you paid for subscription till jun 2008. The building manager said it wont work cos of direction of house - i.e. west facing balcony. However he said opp. side there is a house whose balcony faces east and there you can get reception. Unfortunately tht house is out of my rental budget and has no alloted car parking. Hence the confusion!!
Old 19th November 2007, 23:46   #9
Team-BHP Support

Even if you have one balcony facing the required direction it will be possible.
As for your apartment policy, there is a good chance that hathway is filling some pockets so that dishes stay out of apartment blocks.

If you cannot find a balcony, try find any window which faces the required direction and then use that window.
When we were on a first floor flat(no balconies) and my flatmate bought worldspace radio, we used the kitchen window for the antenna. Ugly wiring from kitchen to room, but it worked

Last edited by tsk1979 : 19th November 2007 at 23:48.
Old 19th November 2007, 23:54   #10
BHPian

yeah hathway must be filling the building managers pockets

unfortunately its a huge society and each floor in the buildings has multiples of flats, which means all of this flat's windows face west and the only thing facing east is the main door facing the common covered lift/stair area.

Its surprising though that tatasky never mentions that it may not work. Lets say I never had tatasky and went and bought one for 4.5k. They don't do a site survey before connecting and there must be a lot of societies which such rules due to corrupt building managers. In that case does tatasky return the money back
Old 20th November 2007, 09:46   #11
BHPian

Jassi,
All dish antenna current directions are facing south-east only. No north comes in picture. Because their satellites are above 36000km on equator. from your local position it may be east or west. but on eqautor means south is fixed.

Can you post some more information about your building. Some sketch and directions and adjacent buildings??. I can use some of my experience of 20years as dish antenna specalist (so called)

Last edited by omishra : 20th November 2007 at 09:49.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:12   #12
BHPian

Quote:
They don't do a site survey before connecting and there must be a lot of societies which such rules due to corrupt building managers. In that case does tatasky return the money back
I am sorry for you to be in a situation like this. The Tata Sky booklet clearly states that the approvals for fixing the dish on the building is not the responsibility of the company and fixing appointment with the engineer to install the product menas that requisite approvals from the society are already in place. Buttt, the booklet is inside the Tata sky package, so you need to buy the package before accessing the manual. One option is, if there are multiple users Tata Sky installs a single large dish antenna. You can check with other residents in the apartment complex and get the society approve for the same.
Old 20th November 2007, 11:13   #13
Team-BHP Support

I think jassi you are talking about diamond district apartments?
In that case you don't have any option. Try to sell it off to somebody else at a discount from cost price.
Old 21st November 2007, 19:56   #14
BHPian

you can subscribe for 2 connections with one dish on tat sky
Old 21st November 2007, 19:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
you can subscribe for 2 connections with one dish on tat sky
yes you can.. infact my building has only one dish for all the tata sky connections.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks