Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 15:35   #241
BHPian

Re: All about external (backup) hard disks

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I've been very unlucky with Seagate though. Very bad failures. But WD has been great - have had an external for more than 5 years now - 1TB without any issues. And internal - 2 2TB drives. Touch wood.

Hehehe, then I need to check it out. Oh I am sure the NSA is in there too
WD replaced my faulty external 1 TB disk last week. I was able to recover few data. Hope this one lasts long.
Old 26th August 2016, 10:23   #242
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy an external 4TB hard drive. Seeing two models of seagate available online. Can't seem to understand the difference between the two other than the looks of course :P

Help?

Seagate Expansion STEB4000300 4TB

And

Seagate Backup plus STDT4000300 4TB
Old 26th August 2016, 14:57   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Backup plus is having seagate automatic back up plus software included. The expansion is marketed as an external hard disk only. You will have to do manual back ups. Other than that the warranty and price is different for each model. The back up plus has longer warranty as I am told. This has to be verified.
Old 26th August 2016, 14:58   #244
Senior - BHPian

Ah OK. Thanks for clarifying things for me. Shall pick up the backup plus then seeing as there's not much price difference between the two.
Old 27th August 2016, 09:37   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Planning to buy an external 4TB hard drive. Seeing two models of seagate available online. Can't seem to understand the difference between the two other than the looks of course :P

Help?

And

Expansion uses external power supply, while Backup is powered by USB.
Old 27th August 2016, 15:12   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Expansion uses external power supply, while Backup is powered by USB.
Actually STDT4000300 Backup Plus also uses an external PS just like the STEB4000300 Expansion Desktop.

Last edited by techiecal : 27th August 2016 at 15:18.
Old 27th August 2016, 20:29   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiecal View Post
Actually STDT4000300 Backup Plus also uses an external PS just like the STEB4000300 Expansion Desktop.
Sorry missed than while inspecting the specs. In that case 2TB drives which require only USB for power/data are better option. The prices are also similar for 2x2TB.

Last edited by Aroy : 27th August 2016 at 20:30.
Old 4th October 2016, 13:07   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea how is the Lenovo 2 TB ?

Flipkart has it for 5500 today
Old 5th October 2016, 10:13   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Any idea how is the Lenovo 2 TB ?

Flipkart has it for 5500 today
No idea of Lenovo disks. At one time IBM manufactured its own HDD, but I doubt that Lenovo does it. Any way I find that Seagate and WD are much better in after sales service (and replacement of bad disks). Here is what I use
http://www.amazon.in/WD-Passport-Ult...rnal+hard+disk
Old 5th October 2016, 11:22   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
No idea of Lenovo disks. At one time IBM manufactured its own HDD, but I doubt that Lenovo does it. Any way I find that Seagate and WD are much better in after sales service (and replacement of bad disks).
Yep. WD is quite good in replacement - I have had multiple runs with disks going bad (which is alarming), but the replacement process is quite smooth. Only catch is mostly they give you only a refurbished disk (sealed/packed unit).

Also I found WD elements to be more rugged than WD ultra. The latter is more faster, but since I keep the ext HDD primarily for backups, I am willing to sacrifice a little bit on the performance rather than on the ruggedity.
Old 5th October 2016, 17:55   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haria View Post
Yep. WD is quite good in replacement - I have had multiple runs with disks going bad (which is alarming), but the replacement process is quite smooth. Only catch is mostly they give you only a refurbished disk (sealed/packed unit).

Also I found WD elements to be more rugged than WD ultra. The latter is more faster, but since I keep the ext HDD primarily for backups, I am willing to sacrifice a little bit on the performance rather than on the ruggedity.
For backup, use lower RPM disks. They last longer and in most cases designed for extended life when switched off. Most of my hard disks are still operational after 6-7 years.

For long term ( > 20 years) there are very few options and CD ROMS (not DVD) last longer.
Old 7th October 2016, 15:38   #252
Senior - BHPian

I recently had a 4TB WD My Book external drive give trouble. I had bought the drive in the USA. WD replaced it for free here and, because they goofed up and took over three weeks to replace it, they sent me a 6TB as a replacement instead of the 4TB. Way to make amends for sub-par service!
Old 14th February 2017, 20:02   #253
BHPian

Do any one know a place in Chennai that can help service a WD 2 TB My Book Essentials? I think the drive may be good. Either the motherboard or power supply is gone. There is not much data on it but I would like to get it working. The drive is out of warranty.
Old 15th February 2017, 11:35   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
Do any one know a place in Chennai that can help service a WD 2 TB My Book Essentials? I think the drive may be good. Either the motherboard or power supply is gone. There is not much data on it but I would like to get it working. The drive is out of warranty.
You can check out the IT depot - Thiruvanmiyur. Its on the ECR. You could give them a call and they could get things for you. The other option is Mercy electronics who could also get it for you
Old 27th February 2017, 12:22   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
You can check out the IT depot - Thiruvanmiyur. Its on the ECR. You could give them a call and they could get things for you. The other option is Mercy electronics who could also get it for you
Thank you, I tried both and they said they wouldn't be able to service. There was some Cell tech numbers available off Internet who were listed as service for WD disks. I called them up, one of them gave me a number and asked to try. He did add that the shop was doing it earlier but may not be the case now. When I called up and asked, they said they were not doing it. So I opened up the casing and took out the hard disk and attached it as an internal 2 TB SATA disk. Now I have additional 2 TB on my desktop. The data on it was lost as I had to reformat the disk. Looks like the USB controller was culprit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks