Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2008, 23:09   #61
Senior - BHPian

I got a BSNL WA3002 G4 (BSNL modem / wireless router) which will be with me for some time. I have a Airtel connection at home.

I was able to set up the BSNL modem so that I am now able to connect to the net using the ethernet cable; but am not able to use the wireless (which was the purpose of this whole exercise!).

Am not able to ping 192.168.1.1 from the laptop and get message varying from 'Limited connectivity' to 'Local Only'.

The setting on the "Wireless" menu are:

And I got it up and running! Yahooooo!!!!

After two days and lot of trial and error - its done! I had "local access" being shown, and when i restarted, got the internet connection also! :-)

Reading this post did help a lot! So, I have now successfully setup a BSNL WA3002 G4 modem to work with Airtel and also set my laptop for the wireless access.

Now have to check the security part!
Old 15th August 2008, 23:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Setting up BSNL WA3002 G4 modem for Airtel

Sharing the settings that I have done for making the WA3002 G4 modem provided by BSNL DataOne to work with Airtel broadband.

My seach over here and various other forums gave me information in bits and pieces and hence this attempt to have a consolidated post. And since we are well indexed by Google, a right search will bring them here.

History: I have a Airtel broadband and was given a Beetel 220BX modem. I got a BSNL DataOne WA3002 G4 modem (this is a modem & wireless router combined unit) on a long term loan. Since this one has a modem, I have no use of the Beetel modem, so that got retired. And, with a desktop and a laptop, going wireless for the laptop was a hard to resist temptation.

Desktop is with XP SP3 and laptop is with Vista Home Premium edition.

So this is how I went about doing.

First thing - make a back up of the current configuration. This can be done by going into the 'Management' menu and clicking on the 'Backup Setting' button on the right frame.

Next thing to do is to reset the modem. This I did because I found that regardless of me going and deleting the existing setting, they alway found their way back (along with few more) when I rebooted the modem.

The reset switch is placed below the WLAN light. When you flip and look at the downside of the mode, you can find only one circle (just behind the front right base leg). All the other holes are square in shape and placed in neat rows. This single round one is the odd one out. Keep this pressed with a blunt object (aka pen tip) for 5+ seconds (I did for 15 second!).

Once done, connect the ethernet cable to the computer and type in 192.168.1.1 which is the address of the modem. You will be asked for the username and password which is usually 'admin' & 'admin' (my Beetel modem had username as 'admin' and password as 'password' so if 'admin' doesn't work, try 'password'; if this also fails call support)

Once you log into the page give the setting as given below. Do note that I have changed the setting for Airtel Bangalore, but I reckon most of these setting are generic, so they should work.

On the menu, select 'Advanced Setup' and click on 'WAN'. Click on the 'Add' button and give the following values as shown in the screen shots below:
Name:  wan1.bmp
Views: 8288
Size:  951.2 KB

Picture above:The VPI and VPC are Airtel specific. So they need to be given as this. Similarly 'UBR without PCR'. No idea what it does, but it works.

Name:  wan2.bmp
Views: 8189
Size:  563.6 KB

Name:  wan3.bmp
Views: 7746
Size:  680.8 KB

Name:  wan4.bmp
Views: 7565
Size:  636.2 KB

And finally you will get the summary screen as below:
Name:  wan5.bmp
Views: 7390
Size:  556.5 KB

Click on the 'Save' button and you should get this screen (provided you have nothing else already present; if present, go ahead and remove them).
Name:  wan6.bmp
Views: 7157
Size:  398.7 KB

Next click on 'LAN' under the 'Advanced Setup' option and give in the address as given below. These are standard settings, so nothing much to change here.
Name:  lan1.bmp
Views: 7298
Size:  985.9 KB

This is my setting in 'Routing - Default Gateway' option. Did not do any change. Left it to default.

Name:  08_routing_defaGW.bmp
Views: 6513
Size:  595.8 KB

I have this under 'Routing - RIP'. I did not put it there, and the available values both have 'Disabled' set, so goes no harm, either way.

Name:  09_routing_RIP.bmp
Views: 6250
Size:  444.9 KB

Under 'DNS', left the value as default, as shown below.
Name:  10_DNS Server.bmp
Views: 6159
Size:  447.9 KB

IPv6 has not been enabled.

The DSL Settings:
Name:  11_DSL Setting.bmp
Views: 7041
Size:  808.7 KB

I have this under 'Port Mapping'. I did not put it there, and the virtual post is not enables, so goes no harm, either way.
Name:  12_Port Mapping.bmp
Views: 6020
Size:  719.3 KB

These should get you up and running if accessing with ethernet cable. Do note that we do not change anything in the PC, none of the IP settings at all. All these changes are only on the modem.

Now for wireless to be enabled, this is what I ended up doing.

Setting in 'Wireless - Basic' menu:
Name:  13_Wireless Basic.bmp
Views: 6222
Size:  658.3 KB

Under 'Security'. Maybe the guru's over here can give me some better way to set this up. But this is workable. But this one atleast asks for a passkey when a system tries to connect.
Name:  14_Wireless Security.bmp
Views: 5910
Size:  598.8 KB

This is where you set the MAC address of your wireless device to connect. With 'Disabled' any system can connect, so better to select the 'Allow' option and then click on 'Add' button and give exclusive access. I have just one device connected, as shown below.

Note: For those who know MAC as I do - to find MAC address, type "IPCONFIG /ALL" in the command prompt; in the values that gets displayed, scroll down to your network card, which will be your wireless card, and note down the value under the 'Physical Address' label.

This is your MAC address and this need to be entered here. And you need to space the value with a colon ( : ). I didn't know this and did spend some becuase I gave hypen ( - ) and it was getting rejected!!!
Name:  15_Wireless MAC.bmp
Views: 5558
Size:  414.4 KB

Wireless Bridge values as shown below. Any other option did not let me connect.
Name:  16_Wireless Bridge.bmp
Views: 6079
Size:  613.1 KB

'Advanced' settings. I did not change any of these values since I did not get any info about what they are and also I found no reason to change them. Again, request the guru's to say if any changes required here.
Name:  17_Wireless Advanced.bmp
Views: 5581
Size:  824.0 KB

And finally, the 'Station Info' as shown in the screen shot below. If you device is connected, you will get the MAC id shown here.
Name:  18_Wireless Station info.bmp
Views: 5215
Size:  226.0 KB

And that's it!

The laptop took some time to get the network detected but then when it did, all I had to do was give the passkey. It did not connect the first time but then a restart did the trick. The whole of today, I was able to just switch on and start using. So guess the setup is working fine.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

I have BSNL Huawai Type 2 modem with USB, Wireless and a Ethernet port. I have a Vista laptop and a XP desktop. I have managed to install VNC in Desktop and see it and use it from Laptop.

But the strange thing is, I am unable to ping any of the machine from the other. I have the Tomcat installed in Vista laptop and trying to access it from desktop. It is not able to find it. Why?

The IP Address for
Modem - 192.168.1.1
Laptop - 192.168.1.2 [ethernet]
Laptop - 192.168.1.3 [wireless]
Desktop - 192.168.1.4

Gateway for laptop & desktop is 192.168.1.1

When I am able to see the machine in VNC, I should be able to ping it right? Unless I had any firewall or something to block the ping.

Also, I have oracle installed in Desktop. When I use tnsping from laptop, no response from the service in desktop. Listener is running and no issues.

I have no idea why this happens, any help?

EDIT: Sorry guys. The inbuilt Windows firewall was the culprit. :(
Just got it right.

Last edited by mjothi : 13th January 2009 at 22:43.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:39   #64
Senior - BHPian

I am using "UT300-RTU" modem which has ADSL and ethernet ports for BSNL broadband. The USB is connected to modem using ADSL.

Is it better to use ethernet instead of ADSL?
How to use ethernet instead of ADSL? Where can i get the cable for the same?
Old 15th January 2010, 21:11   #65
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Anyone one what are recommended BSNL DNS Servers for Pune.
I know about OpenDNS & GoogleDNS servers, but asking about the IP addresses of DNS Servers provided by BSNL in Pune.
Old 17th January 2010, 09:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

HI guys,
I am planning to get a bsnl router and would like to know the speed of the router ?Is it worth buying the wireless modem or should i take it on rent ?
Old 8th April 2012, 22:45   #67
BHPian

I have a dlink modem with bsnl broadband connection. Since yesterday not able to connect.

Tried various possible DNS number as well as opendns numbers but of no use.

The wifi works fine as I can connect my phone. It also shows good signal strength on laptop but no connectivity
With the different dns settings tried nslookup. Each time got a DNS request time out
Would.appreciate any help. I am based out of Pune
Old 9th October 2012, 21:32   #68
BHPian

Re: BSNL Broadband Wireless Configuration

Hello Guys SOS

Need some help. I am using BSNL modem WA 3002G4. When i go into the configure page of the modem the Wireless tab doesnt appear on the left hand side of the menu. I can see only 4 options Device Info, Advanced Setup, Diagnostics & Management. The modem has the antenna for the wifi.

Can somebody please help me on to rectify this issue.
Note:- I am able to use the internet using a LAN cable as of now.
Old 9th October 2012, 22:59   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Hello Guys SOS

Need some help. I am using BSNL modem WA 3002G4. When i go into the configure page of the modem the Wireless tab doesnt appear on the left hand side of the menu. I can see only 4 options Device Info, Advanced Setup, Diagnostics & Management. The modem has the antenna for the wifi.

Hi Chalu, I am using exactly the same modem as yours and I do see the Wireless tab on the left side. Not sure if your wireless has gone kaput in the modem. You want to try and reset the modem to see if the issue goes away

BSNL Broadband Wireless Configuration-bsnl.jpg
Old 9th October 2012, 23:19   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Hello Guys SOS

Have you got the WiFi working before? If not, it may be a firmware issue. Just check up on the net to upgrade the firmware. If not available, call BSNL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks