Team-BHP - The iPhone Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The iPhone Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/38465-iphone-thread-998.html)

A quick heads up for folk waiting to get iphone 14 and pro models directly from US , please note there is no sim tray and works with an esim only which should definitely be considered , was reviewing latest iphone prices with rupee conversion and HKG was the cheapest place to buy one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg (Post 5400389)

I am waiting to check it out too. Hope I can use it with my PWM (Pulse Width Management) issues, if I can, I am getting the 14 Pro Max in deep purple and finally good bye to my 11.

Cheers

PWM is the reason why I'm waiting for the notebook check review before getting the 14plus. As per them 13/13pro had pwm of 480hz whereas 13pm had 238hz. Currently using a June 2018 OnePlus 6 and it's low 236hz pwm is hurting my eyes. Can't use this phone without my glasses and even with glasses on its hard to use it for more than 10-15mins. I didn't have this problem but I guess I developed it in the last one year or so. Feeling kind of skeptic spending so much money only to not be able to use it comfortably for long. Do update on this issue if you get the new phone in coming weeks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 5400380)

14 Promax will come shortly. I guess that wasn't a surprise to you. rl:
LOL!

No one on this thread saw this coming, Right :D

Which color?

I like MKBHD too due to his presentation and editing skills without going over the top. I wasn't aware of his automobile channel. Will check it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vickzkool (Post 5400459)
A quick heads up for folk waiting to get iphone 14 and pro models directly from US , please note there is no sim tray and works with an esim only which should definitely be considered , was reviewing latest iphone prices with rupee conversion and HKG was the cheapest place to buy one

Would they make us pay customs duty at the airport if we bring an iPhone 14 on the way back from a business trip. I was checking the prices in Singapore and it is much lower than prices here, especially for the pro models.

Anybody has a recent experience with the customs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragonfire (Post 5400879)
Would they make us pay customs duty at the airport if we bring an iPhone 14 on the way back from a business trip. I was checking the prices in Singapore and it is much lower than prices here, especially for the pro models.

Anybody has a recent experience with the customs?

A friends uncle visits from the US every year and brings him the latest pro max model. He actually carries 2 new phones for family. This is with box etc.

On a safer side you can just ditch the box and carry the phone in your pocket and accessories in the bag. Pretty sure that should be alright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpainter (Post 5400671)
PWM is the reason why I'm waiting for the notebook check review before getting the 14plus. Currently using a June 2018 OnePlus 6 and it's low 236hz pwm is hurting my eyes. Can't use this phone without my glasses and even with glasses on its hard to use it for more than 10-15mins. I didn't have this problem but I guess I developed it in the last one year or so. Feeling kind of skeptic spending so much money only to not be able to use it comfortably for long. Do update on this issue if you get the new phone in coming weeks.

Don’t buy any phone on the basis of reviews, forget reviews and hertz numbers, check the phone out in person and only then buy it. I lost 10 thousand in a day when I bought the 11 Pro Max and couldn’t use it due to PWM (Pulse Width Management). Only the vanilla 11 which has a LCD screen works for me.

Check the phone at the store for 10-15 minutes, if necessary check it multiple times before putting your money down. For me luckily (or not :)) my eyes start to burn in 5-10 minutes of looking at the screen so it’s easy for me to identify. I had this issue with the 11, 12 and 13 Pro Max, so now have to check the 14. Practically speaking, I don’t think it will work for me either, it’s essentially the same screen made by LG this time for the Pro series. Will certainly update on how I feel with that.

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZT (Post 5400885)
A friends uncle visits from the US every year and brings him the latest pro max model. He actually carries 2 new phones for family. This is with box etc.

On a safer side you can just ditch the box and carry the phone in your pocket and accessories in the bag. Pretty sure that should be alright.

I came back from the us with a new iphone 13 for my daughter in original case and had to pay duty

Did Apple remove the volume slider from the lock screen?:Frustrati
The iPhone Thread-d39f2165c3fb4b5092a4cd6fb4abc3ad.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyborg (Post 5400389)
Haven’t yet subscribed to his Autofocus as I am not a fan of EV’s. For me it’s gasoline till I die. Have read your reviews on them though, very detailed and interesting.

No surprise at all, you are doing exactly what I used to do before iPhone 11, analyse everything properly and buy the new iPhone on the first day. Look forward to your hands on with the Pro Max. What colour are you getting?

I am waiting to check it out too. Hope I can use it with my PWM (Pulse Width Management) issues, if I can, I am getting the 14 Pro Max in deep purple and finally good bye to my 11.

Cheers

Whether you like the subject or not. Just hearing MKBHD speak is soothing to nerves. Go for it!

LOL on the analyzation part.

I have this peculiar habit, I always would have made up my mind on some things that I want to buy. I would do the post mortem of those things just to ensure that I am not jumping off a bridge. rl:

14 Promax will be Purple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamahunter (Post 5400395)
A query from a non iphone user.

I am looking to replace my aging OnePlus 6, its 5 years old and has no physical damage whatsoever. However the battery life has reduced and the phone has slowed down noticeably.

I am not a very heavy user of a phone and major use is :
- Photography
- Videos (need good quality)
- Photo editing app - Snapseed
- Social media apps - Instagram, LInkedin & Whatsapp
- Basic Office tasks - Teams and outlook
- Music - Spotify
- Google Maps

Above said are the apps I use 99% of the time I operate the phone.

I am not looking for any specific feature but overall a mobile which I can use for the next 5 years without hiccups.

I am looking forward to get an iphone 13 (256 GB), is it worth the cost and will it last that period without much of slowness or battery issues?

You are a perfect candidate for iPhone. I use exactly the same apps 90% of the time except for Maps and Music for which I use Apple Maps and Apple Music.

Iphone is a photography monster tool. I am so in love with its picture clarity that I have ditched my entire camera equipment a few years ago.

I'm usually active on Instagram with same Team BHP handle and do post stories and pictures often.

Besides the camera aspect, iPhone are long lasting products unlike Android phones. The high cost pays for itself as it lasts at least 2X or 3X times of any flagship android phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 5400779)
No one on this thread saw this coming, Right

Which color?

I like MKBHD too due to his presentation and editing skills without going over the top. I wasn't aware of his automobile channel. Will check it out.

LOL! It always has to be the "NEW" color. So it's going to be Deep Purple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ56 (Post 5400400)
Congrats on the 14 pre order. Yes what got me was the $5000 Sony camera losing to the 13 pro max in a blind photo comparison in one of Max tech’s videos last year, couldn’t believe such shots were taken by a phone.

100%, it’s almost the same chip, 1 extra GPU core and new front camera is hardly reason enough to take it over the 13. 13 pros are much better value than a 14 plus at almost the same price.

128gb variants just like last year don’t get pro res video at 4k, limited to 1080p. Lowest I’d get is 256gb.

Rest if you’re into lossless audio or need to access to photos/video instantly without internet access or buffering, you need good local storage, or if you have heavy gaming apps that run 15-20gb per app.

I have 350gb left and still can only record 44 mins of pro res 4k 30 fps video for reference. Storage is something you can’t change after buying so always err on the side of having extra.

Thanks. I haven't placed the order yet.

I am still wondering if I should order 2 Promax or just one as I am trying to convince my wife to get one for herself and she is not interested. :Shockked:

Quote:

This is good point. How does one shift from a physical sim to an e-sim? Good thing that I didn't order the phone yet. Need to sort this out and then order as my phone bills are paid by company and device is personal.

Quote:

A quick heads up for folk waiting to get iphone 14 and pro models directly from US , please note there is no sim tray and works with an esim only which should definitely be considered

iOS 16 has option to transfer e-sim from an older device via bluetooth through personal validations. That is a small boon, just checked on my iPhone 11 Pro and option is there, now to check if it works.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 5401002)
How does one shift from a physical sim to an e-sim?

India Airtel to be specific, you just need to request via sms and esim would be emailed to your mail and one can scan it. I believe Jio, one has to goto the office and they share a physical barcode to scan. So it depends on service providers. But it is as simple as scanning a bar code once they approve the request.

@ Mobike 008 - looking at your location I believe it's a simple case of calling your service provider customer service , it's the same for me device is mine and the bill is paid buy the company and all I had to do was speak to my service provider Vodafone who have confirmed the process is smooth but the wait times to the service provider is a different story

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 5401018)

India Airtel to be specific, you just need to request via sms and esim would be emailed to your mail and one can scan it. I believe Jio, one has to goto the office and they share a physical barcode to scan. So it depends on service providers. But it is as simple as scanning a bar code once they approve the request.

In Jio there is no need to go to office. Everything can be done via SMS etc sitting at home. I activated the esim in wife's phone in 4-5 hours following the procedure jio suggested. There is even an excellent video on youtube explaining the same.

MKBHD's iPhone 14 Pro review is up :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdLShOCvVeM

Cheers

I visited Airtel store for prepaid number. They said, it's not possible to convert prepaid SIM to eSIM. Of course, I didn't buy their SIM. I needed a secondary number as I am facing lots of issues with my iPhone 12 Jio prepaid SIM (it's physical SIM) for last 1 month. People are complaining that my number is out of coverage most of the time. I get lots of sms of missed calls from Jio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky (Post 5402173)
.. I am facing lots of issues with my iPhone 12 Jio prepaid SIM (it's physical SIM) for last 1 month. People are complaining that my number is out of coverage most of the time..

Get a replacement physical SIM for this one. There are times when the SIM goes bad too.