Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 12:55   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wokay...the terminologies that have been used just bounced off my head!! Can we please have a simple idiots guide, that outlines / illustrates a step-by-step way? Come on, I made it so simple for you guys via tutorials such as this

And why do I have to use a combination of two softwares? Isn't there a simpler one software / one click kind of thing? Like say, importing CDs via itunes and choosing Lossless quality? I don't mind paying for the software too. Or do I absolutely have to work with a combination of softwares such as DVD Decrypter & Ripit4me?

Yup, I will rip on a windows system and the LCD will be hooked up directly to a CPU.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:21   #17
BHPian

Hey GTO - I second DVD Fab. It's as simple as point and click.

1) Insert DVD
2) Choose Output Method - ipod / Copy to DVD / Avi etc.
3) Rip Away!

Hopefully this helps. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like you are trying to create a homebrew DVD server of sorts by connecting your computer to your LCD TV.

Alternatively you can go all out and invest in Kaleidescape Servers. Be warned though - They start at about $10K and go way upwards.

Here is the link: Kaleidescape - The Kaleidescape System
Attached Images

Old 28th July 2008, 13:39   #18
BHPian

Ripping DVD's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
How about a movie collection as well?

What is the absolute best way to rip DVDs with the following points in consideration:

1. Focus only on quality. File size / disc space is not an issue.
2. Retain all features (subtitles etc.).
3. Retain audio quality.
Hi GTO,

When you say you want to rip DVD's keeping the quoted points into consideration, do you mean storing them on other Blank DVD's Or on a hard disk ?

Because Original DVD's have content that run into 7 - 8gb in size.
Without using shrinking softwares, if you want to retain 100% content then the output would also be the same size. And as far as I know the usual run of the mill blank DVD's come in 4.7 gb size. If you have to get a dual layered 8gb blank then they still cost a lot.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:44   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi GTO,

When you say you want to rip DVD's keeping the quoted points into consideration, do you mean storing them on other Blank DVD's Or on a hard disk ?

Because Original DVD's have content that run into 7 - 8gb in size.
Without using shrinking softwares, if you want to retain 100% content then the output would also be the same size. And as far as I know the usual run of the mill blank DVD's come in 4.7 gb size. If you have to get a dual layered 8gb blank then they still cost a lot.
Yes, DVD movies are usually more than 4.7 GBs, and to fit it for burning on a 4.7GB dvd, you need DVD Shrink. I use the following sequentially:
1. DVD Idle Pro (sits in the background) and works with DVD shrink, decrypter.
2. Use DVD Shrink to fit.
3. Use DVD Decrypter to burn onto blank DVD.
4. If DVD Idle Pro does not work, then use Ripit4me.
Old 28th July 2008, 13:56   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Hopefully this helps. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like you are trying to create a homebrew DVD server of sorts by connecting your computer to your LCD TV.
Quote:

Yup, I want to store the movies on a hard disk only.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Here's what i do for all my movies & kids' educational CDs. I create an image of the CD/DVD using Magic ISO. And then i run these images from a virtual drive using Magic Disc. Both these are freeware & completely easy to use & fast too.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:04   #22
Senior - BHPian

GTO you are asking for too much to be explained in too less words.

Your DVDs are resource hogs (hard disk memory wise). Each DVD would be ~5GB.
What you require is to:
1. Remove the copy protection from these DVDs so that you can save it to your harddisk and/or process it for compression.
2. Use a compression utility that would reduce the GBs required per movie.

Now answer one question:
Do you wanna keep the 6 channel audio or you would be happy with the 2 channel stereo sound?
Old 28th July 2008, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Divx Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yup, I want to store the movies on a hard disk only.
For storing the movies in the Hard Disk, then best format is to convert to Divx. Get the Divx Converter -> DivX Video Converter - Free Movie Converter Trial - Convert Video Files. I'm suggesting this as you said you dont mind paying.

Advantages:

1. File Size -> It uses mpeg4 compression. So, the approximate File Size for a 1.5 hour movie should be less than 800 MB without compromising on DVD quality.

2. One Single avi file with Divx Converter - If you rip DVD, you'll end up with lots of vob and other files.

3. Play Back - Install the free divx codec and Your PC can play back divx file. Nowadays most of the DVD players also support divx format.

4. Subtitle - My Pioneer DVD player supports sub title. Not sure about others.

You may want to try Divx Converter before buying it.

Good Luck.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:44   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Yes, DVD movies are usually more than 4.7 GBs, and to fit it for burning on a 4.7GB dvd, you need DVD Shrink. I use the following sequentially:
1. DVD Idle Pro (sits in the background) and works with DVD shrink, decrypter.
2. Use DVD Shrink to fit.
3. Use DVD Decrypter to burn onto blank DVD.
4. If DVD Idle Pro does not work, then use Ripit4me.
You can also 're-author' the DVD with DVD Shrink to retain only the main movie, one sound track, leave out extras etc.

Then a short movie will fit without compression on a SL DVD while a longer movie may need some compression but not that much as to visibly reduce quality.
Old 28th July 2008, 16:56   #25
BHPian

@GTO - just dvd decrypter ( DVD Decrypter ) should be good enough - thats what I use to save all my stuff from movie dvds to harddisk (which i back up to another harddisk)
Heres a guide on how to use it Doom9.net - The Definitive DVD Backup Resource
- just use the basic file mode for complete dvd ripping, but if you want to only rip specific things (eg. the video with french ac3 sound channel and english subtitles for instance) you can use the ifo mode for selecting specific peices and rip.
I am very content with this tool !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wokay...the terminologies that have been used just bounced off my head!! Can we please have a simple idiots guide, that outlines / illustrates a step-by-step way? Come on, I made it so simple for you guys via tutorials such as this

And why do I have to use a combination of two softwares? Isn't there a simpler one software / one click kind of thing? Like say, importing CDs via itunes and choosing Lossless quality? I don't mind paying for the software too. Or do I absolutely have to work with a combination of softwares such as DVD Decrypter & Ripit4me?

Yup, I will rip on a windows system and the LCD will be hooked up directly to a CPU.
Old 28th July 2008, 19:55   #26
BHPian

I am confused. GTO are you looking for quality or simplicity?
If you are looking for quality, then usually you need to use more than one software, minimal single click stuff, and takes loads of time.
If you are looking for simplicity, the stuff mentioned before will suffice. I'd advice you to read the Doom9 tutorials for xvid and x264. You dont need to pay for divx license, when you can use these

Also, does your computer have a 5 channel speaker system to compliment the LCD?
Old 29th July 2008, 09:21   #27
BANNED

total converter is what i use
Old 29th July 2008, 09:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Do a search for "Simplistic Guide" in google for digital processing tutorials.

DVD fab is a good product as long as you have a clean DVD, but with slight scratches it will skip the sector and you will miss a scene inbetween, while replaying the decrypted DVD.

DVD shrink is a transcoder and you loose some amount of quality if the compression is below 80%.

Most other rippers cannot break the ArccOS protection by themselves, unless its a Ripit4me+DVD decrypter.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:47   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I evaluated some options listed here and have started running DVD decrypter + Ripit4me, as well as DVD Fab on my computer. Will spend some time choosing between the two.

Thanks a ton, dudes! Appreciate the help.
Old 30th July 2008, 18:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

I have used some DVDs and was able to just copy the whole thing in my hard disk, no ripping involved. and then just play it thru VLC player. Do we really have to go thru all this? or is it some default decrypter working in background on my lappy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks