Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 06:42   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Computers are one in 2nd Floor and the one on ground floor!
I have presently connected the Internet to 2nd Floor and want to extend it to Ground floor comp. 2nd Floor connected one modem has been connected to ethernet port. So shall i take the USB port output to be connected to the other comp or is Ethernet cable is better to be connected?
A simpler option could be to ask BSNL to upgrade to a wireless modem. Of course your PCs should be wireless enabled, if not you have to get those cards. Then no cable hassles.

Alternately if you are a bot savvy, you can buy a wireless router and install yourself rather than getting BSNL to upgrade. My brother has a BSNL connection and he got it changed to wireless enabled without any cost.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:58   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Woops! You are right... I mean Networking via USB

Very embarrassing.

Ethernet and Local Area Networking have become pretty-much synonymous, and so they should be.

Thanks for the correction... one thing in brain; another coming out of fingers <BLUSH>
Old 7th August 2008, 08:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If possible, ask BSNL for a type-2 (no wireless) or type-4 (with wireless) modem. Both have 4 ethernet ports.
Are you sure? I have a Type 2 modem. It has 1 ethernet, 1 USB and wireless. I got it about a year back. So, is there a new Type 2?
Old 7th August 2008, 09:04   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed, ph03n!x... see my previous post, dripping with embarrassment!

Ethernet Rules!

Oh! The post I answered has disappeared.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th August 2008 at 09:05.
Old 7th August 2008, 12:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Plz Plz do not take Wireless Router + ADSL from BSNL and waste money

reasons
(1) BSNL provide WLAN B which gives max 11 mbps , This is not an issue
while you surf internet as max you get from BSNL is 2 MBps but definately and issue when your home network gets bigger over the time example a couple of laptops , IP Phone , Mobiles etc and you want to transfer big chunk of data between them some examples
(a) using your desktop PC with >500 GB disk as file server
(b) mouning filesystem of one computer on another for some work.
(c) Installing helix or some other server to stream music / movies stored on your big machine and enjoying them elsewhere in home over the network

(2) You already have an ADSL modem use PPPoE mode ( set ADSL Router as pure bridge) and conenct a WLAN G / N router with more features purchased from market. You can get 54Mbps or 125 mbps out of this
and filesharing and data transfer becomes less of a pain in nearly same cost.

Regards
Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
A simpler option could be to ask BSNL to upgrade to a wireless modem. Of course your PCs should be wireless enabled, if not you have to get those cards. Then no cable hassles.

Alternately if you are a bot savvy, you can buy a wireless router and install yourself rather than getting BSNL to upgrade. My brother has a BSNL connection and he got it changed to wireless enabled without any cost.
Old 7th August 2008, 16:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
(1) BSNL provide WLAN B which gives max 11 mbps , This is not an issue
while you surf internet as max you get from BSNL is 2 MBps but definately and issue when your home network gets bigger over the time example a couple of laptops , IP Phone , Mobiles etc and you want to transfer big chunk of data between them some examples
Just upgraded to 802.11n router from D-Link. It is so much faster, and noticeably so even for browsing, and even though my DataOne is onky 256K

Quote:
(2) You already have an ADSL modem use PPPoE mode ( set ADSL Router as pure bridge) and conenct a WLAN G / N router with more features purchased from market. You can get 54Mbps or 125 mbps out of this
and filesharing and data transfer becomes less of a pain in nearly same cost.
Several configuration options are available: I left the PPoE on my modem (in router mode) and connected the wireless router.

We may be able to discuss the TCP/IP settings to achieve this: ramki, I think, wants to get something working quickly and cheaply without learning about networking.

By the way, I invested 11,000 in my network .
Old 8th August 2008, 16:29   #22
BHPian

Do it in style!

Get a linksys wifi router which costs less than 2k, get 2 PCI wifi cards for you desktops (they will cost less than 2k for both combined). Connect it to the beetel modem that you got, ask the BSNL guy to do the settings, give him some money for the config settings.

Tip: Get a Nokia E90 then and browse everywhere around you home thru wifi. Listen to Live radio....use Spodtronic. Its just awesome.
You will have a perfect wifi network all over your home.
Old 20th August 2008, 11:39   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Your requirement is only of 2 PCs so you need not invest in any additional box.

1. Connect PC one to USB port , Install USB ethernet driver and your one
PC can get a 10Mbps LAN conenction.

2. Use the ethernet port to connect other PC , Your other PC will be up with 100 MBbps LAn connection.

Enable DHCP server on Huaweii router and enable DHCP option on network setings of your PC in case you do not understand how to manually assigne IPs etc.

As max BSNL provides is 2 Mbps heaving 10 Mbps on PC with USB conectivity is not a problem for internet browsing.

The only problem with this arrangement is that one PC is 10 Mbps lan so file tansfer between two PC will be little slower then it would have been on a 100 Mbps wired router.

In case you need to serve more then 2 PC connect a wired or wireless router to Huaweii modem

Regards
Amit

Amit, I've BSNL broadband 750 plan which gives 256kbps speed. So, having one system(main system on 2nd Floor) connected through USB of the modem,how much speed does it have? and the other system (on ground floor) connected via ethernet of modem how much speed does this have now?

How do i configure the modem then? (its BSNL type-1 modem having 1 ethernet and 1 USB port).

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 22nd August 2008, 11:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

For using network on USB you must have installed a software ( USB ethernet driver) this provides up to 10 MBPs.
1 Mbps = 1024 Kbps so you have no bottleneck as far as internet access is concerned.

Ethernet is available in various flavors such as 10Mbps / 100Mbps and 1GBps depending on your ethernet chipset on PC and the Hub / router you have. Using the BSNL Modem Router max you get is 100 Mbps.

So in case you are transfering files from PC1 to PC2 max transfer rate would be 10 Mbps ( lower of the two) and as you maximun internet bandwidth is 256Kbps while connecting to net you will use only this much of bandwidth.

By the way in almost all the cities BSNL has upgraded the backbone network so though you have subscribed for 256 kbps actually you get much more then this ( Max up to 2 MBps) the 256 K here means the throughput assigned to you but if the network is unloaded you will get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Amit, I've BSNL broadband 750 plan which gives 256kbps speed. So, having one system(main system on 2nd Floor) connected through USB of the modem,how much speed does it have? and the other system (on ground floor) connected via ethernet of modem how much speed does this have now?

How do i configure the modem then? (its BSNL type-1 modem having 1 ethernet and 1 USB port).

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:07   #25
BHPian

Hi all. Reviving this thread for a query of mine.

I have a huawei wa1003a wireless modem. I am connected through my vista os laptop to the modem wirelessly for internet access and the xp os desktop by lan cable the modem for internet access.
Is there a way, i can network the laptop and desktop wirelessly for file sharing, using the modem as a wireless router. Please advice.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:21   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanthisgreat View Post
I have a huawei wa1003a wireless modem. I am connected through my vista os laptop to the modem wirelessly for internet access and the xp os desktop by lan cable the modem for internet access.
Is there a way, i can network the laptop and desktop wirelessly for file sharing, using the modem as a wireless router. Please advice.
Yes , you can. Just make sure that both computers are having same "Workgroup" names (example : MSHOME or WORKGROUP). Then just enable "sharing" to the folder or file or drive that you want to be shared.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:28   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Yes , you can. Just make sure that both computers are having same "Workgroup" names (example : MSHOME or WORKGROUP). Then just enable "sharing" to the folder or file or drive that you want to be shared.
I think you did not get my requirement. I want to connect both the pc's wirelessly. The desktop does not have wireless capability. The laptop and modem have wireless capability. The desktop is connected to the modem by lan cable.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Buy a PCI wifi card or Usb wifi card for desktop. It can be had around Rs1000/-
Old 27th December 2008, 20:06   #29
BANNED

@hemant, PCI wifi cards are available. Like PCI ethernet cards.
Old 27th December 2008, 20:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Buy a PCI wifi card or Usb wifi card for desktop. It can be had around Rs1000/-
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@hemant, PCI wifi cards are available. Like PCI ethernet cards.
Thank. Will go for it. I knew about the wifi cards, but felt if something can be done using the modem. Looks like fixing a wifi card is the way forward.

Most Viewed