Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2008, 09:02   #1
BHPian

Connecting BSNL Modem to two systems! Is it possible?

Hi all,
I've BSNL Type 1 modem bought from them where i've connected the telephone jack to the Ethernet port of the modem, its also got a USB port. I don't know whether its two inputs and i output or 1 input and two outputs. I've a second system where i need internet. I need Internet connection on both machines. How do i do that? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ramki.

Last edited by ramki067 : 6th August 2008 at 09:03.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

2 options

1. If the PCs are close to each other, get an ethernet cable & connect both PCs & create a LAN & use Internet sharing. This way modem has to be connected to the USB port.

2. Get a wireless router.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

option # 3, use a wired router

better in case of # 1 since you dont need the system connected to the modem to be on all the time. A cheap hub costs <1k

Last edited by greenhorn : 6th August 2008 at 09:17.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:27   #4
jav
BHPian

AFAIK usb is used to connect to a computer if it does not have a network card and is the telephone line is connected to Ethernet port or adsl port?
Old 6th August 2008, 11:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

For two computers you don't need router and all. Connect one computer via ethernet port, and other computer via USB port. Simple.
Just make sure you have DHCP enabled on the modem, and set the modem to dial internet.
Old 6th August 2008, 14:07   #6
BHPian

Computers are one in 2nd Floor and the one on ground floor!
I have presently connected the Internet to 2nd Floor and want to extend it to Ground floor comp. 2nd Floor connected one modem has been connected to ethernet port. So shall i take the USB port output to be connected to the other comp or is Ethernet cable is better to be connected?
Old 6th August 2008, 14:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

You cannot use long USB cable, however no issues with ethernet cable. SO place the modem close to the computer which will be connected to USB.
Old 6th August 2008, 14:45   #8
BHPian

Use the USB for one computer and either the telephone or 2nd comp on the ethernet port. Better to get a wireless router and wireless n/w adaptor.
Old 6th August 2008, 15:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

If the BSNL modem is giving 192.168.x.y as the IP to your computer, then all that is required is a 4-Port Hub/ Switch. Connect the modem to one of the four ports, and the computer to the remaining ports, and your should be up and running.
Old 6th August 2008, 19:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Your requirement is only of 2 PCs so you need not invest in any additional box.

1. Connect PC one to USB port , Install USB ethernet driver and your one
PC can get a 10Mbps LAN conenction.

2. Use the ethernet port to connect other PC , Your other PC will be up with 100 MBbps LAn connection.

Enable DHCP server on Huaweii router and enable DHCP option on network setings of your PC in case you do not understand how to manually assigne IPs etc.

As max BSNL provides is 2 Mbps heaving 10 Mbps on PC with USB conectivity is not a problem for internet browsing.

The only problem with this arrangement is that one PC is 10 Mbps lan so file tansfer between two PC will be little slower then it would have been on a 100 Mbps wired router.

In case you need to serve more then 2 PC connect a wired or wireless router to Huaweii modem

Regards
Amit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi all,
I've BSNL Type 1 modem bought from them where i've connected the telephone jack to the Ethernet port of the modem, its also got a USB port. I don't know whether its two inputs and i output or 1 input and two outputs. I've a second system where i need internet. I need Internet connection on both machines. How do i do that? Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 6th August 2008, 22:35   #11
BANNED

A simpler solution:-

Get two wi-fi cards. Make sure that they have good range to cover the distance between the two computers. Put one in the computer to which the modem (I prefer to call this a router -choose your own term) is connected and configure this COMPUTER as a server.

Put the other wi-fi card in the other computer, and configure it as a slave to the other computer. You can either use the first computer as a DHCP server (waste of resources, since only one computer is a slave). YOu can also use use fixed IPs on these two interfaces (wifi). Remember that in networking, it is INTERFACE which has an IP address - not just the computer.

Remember to have the Wi-fi connection encrypted. It is easy to snoop into wi-fi connections.
Old 6th August 2008, 23:06   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

If possible, ask BSNL for a type-2 (no wireless) or type-4 (with wireless) modem. Both have 4 ethernet ports.
Old 6th August 2008, 23:18   #13
Team-BHP Support

Don't waste any money on wifi cards/hubs and routers, just connect one comp via ethernet and other via usb.
The money saved can be used for a nice dinner at the Rice bowl, drinks included, for the entire family
Old 7th August 2008, 02:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Whatever you do, do not make one computer dependent on another. It will be a pain, when needing one to have to have the other running too.

Keep them independent. Do not try to do anything complex; preferably do not try to do anything you don't understand! It makes troubleshooting easier!

---hub/switch, good

---wireless, if you need it or want it, more expensive, but good

---one USB, one Ethernet. Well... I hate the idea of networking via ethernet, but you don't have to follow my religion, and you can do this for the price of some wire! I suggest you start here.
Old 7th August 2008, 03:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I hate the idea of networking via ethernet
Did you mean networking via USB? Networking cannot avoid Ethernet totally

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks