Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2008, 20:19   #31

If you buy a PCI WIFI card for your PC, you dont even need the WIFI modem. You can share files directly by setting up a wireless network.
Old 27th December 2008, 21:07   #32
BHPian

UPDATE: I am able to wirelessly network the laptop and desktop without using the wifi card on the desktop. Here is the list of hardware I have.

1) A xp desktop, which does not have wireless capability and is connected to the huawei wa1003a wireless modem by a lan cable.

2) Huawei wa1003a modem. which has wireless capability.

3) A vista laptop with wireless capability and connected to the modem wirelessly.

Here is the answer I got on an other forum and its working albeit a few glitches.

1)First run your desktop xp.

2)Go to network setup wizard. Select "other" option. Then select "This computer connects directly/ through a hub (1st option)". Give computer description and name. Give workgroup name. Turn on file and printer sharing. Finish the setup. Reboot pc. Then manually select what folders/drives you want to be visible on your laptop.

3)Now Run Vista laptop. Go to network settings and turn on home networking and file and printer sharing.

4) Now go to my network places and your desktop should be visible there.

The problem I am facing now is, This problem existed even when I networked the laptop and desktop using a cross cable.

From the laptop, i am not able to open the desktop, it says access denied. The same error was encountered when i networked the desktop and laptop using a cross cable. I have shared the folders manually and also chosen the share files and printer option, but still not able to open the desktop. Whereas, i am able to access the vista laptop from the xp desktop. Please guide me in this regard.
Old 28th December 2008, 18:01   #33

Try this on your laptop. Go to Start->Run-> \\192.168.1.x(the ip address of the PC). This should work without running the network setup wizard to create a home network.
Also check whether the Windows firewall is enabled on your PC. If it is then you may have to disable it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks