Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2008, 20:54   #16
Awaiting Email Confirmation

@motorheadinc : LOL! NO! I don't rob banks for a living and don't intend to (for a while)
Although your avatar seems to be indicating more.

@souljah : Launched, 40K for 24 GB in india, black finish.
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:23   #17
BHPian

hi nitroxx
congrats .. with 3.2' screen it looks cool. i ha r220 model,i like samsung mobiles for its bright display and never bothered about the battery backup time
Old 2nd October 2008, 23:27   #18
BHPian

BTW i have heard that mobile with windows OS are more prone to virus than other OS. any idea about it. just for that reason i am not using bluetooth, or even any tranfers directly from my dopod d600 mobile. whatever i want download or upload i am using my extra memory card. that is removing the SD card and tranferring thru memory card reader, then scan the SDcard before inserting into the mobile.
Old 18th October 2008, 21:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

Having owned an omnia a week I am ready to ditch this so called SP. This is the worst smart phone I have ever had. Although it looks great its functionality is very poor. I have now got fed up of apps not installing due to there being not enough memory (even though I am installing to the micro sd card and not the phones actual memory).

If anyone has a workround for this then please let me know. Otherwise it is back to the HTC diamond full time.
Old 17th December 2008, 15:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Having owned an omnia a week I am ready to ditch this so called SP. This is the worst smart phone I have ever had. Although it looks great its functionality is very poor. I have now got fed up of apps not installing due to there being not enough memory (even though I am installing to the micro sd card and not the phones actual memory).

If anyone has a workround for this then please let me know. Otherwise it is back to the HTC diamond full time.

After 2 days have to say i agree alot to this, the screen sensitivity is pathetic. Functionality of widgets are limited and beyond that its just a win 6.1 phone. HTC touch pro any day for me!

Omnia users: Any idea how to disable the widget notification of new emails? Would like to have the SMS but not the emails (which i receive in truck load).
Old 17th December 2008, 18:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats mate
Just compared it with my N95 8gb -
1. N95 8gb -TFT, 16M colors / Omnia - TFT touchscreen, 256K colors (65K effective)
2. No Stereo speakers in Omnia
3. Omnia is 624MHz Marvell PXA312 processor which is better than N95 8gb
4. Omnia has more memory.
5. No HSCSD in Omnia.
6. N95 8gb - EDGEClass 32, 296 kbps; DTM Class 11, 177 kbps / Omnia - EDGEClass 12
7. No Infrared port in Omnia.
8. Installed Maps application covering over 100 countries in N95 8gb and not present in Omnia.
9. 3.5 mm audio output jack is not there in Omnia
10. Organizer is not there in Omnia.
11.Up to 500 h standby in Omnia is better.
Price - I paid 30500 when i bought N95 8gb in may and Omnia being a new launch is overpriced as are the most new models of any company.
However comparing both i do not see any new great features in Omnia except the fact that memory is more (though i find 8gb more than enough).
Old 31st December 2008, 15:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I managed to swap my Omnia for a HTC HD and what a relief that was. The Omnia is a pathetic example of a smartphone with so called intergrated GPS. The GPS performance was the worst I have ever encountered.

Unless Samsung release fix for the GPS etc then you might as well consider it a SP without this GPS capability.

For anyone considering buying an Omnia then please think carefully as it is a very poor SP.

Thanks to the XDA Developers site there are plenty of cooked ROMS for HTC phones and in the future I will be sticking to HTC SP's unless the likes of Samsung buck up their ideas. I even had the HTC Manilla interface on the Omnia but still ended up hating the phone as the GPS was very poor.
Old 31st December 2008, 15:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

[quote=bigman;1112265]Yesterday I managed to swap my Omnia for a HTC HD and what a relief that was.
[quote]
Congrats !! How does HTC Touch HD compare with HTC Diamond?
And, what the price?

Last edited by msdivy : 31st December 2008 at 15:53.
Old 31st December 2008, 16:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

[quote=msdivy;1112302][quote=bigman;1112265]Yesterday I managed to swap my Omnia for a HTC HD and what a relief that was.
Quote:
Congrats !! How does HTC Touch HD compare with HTC Diamond?
And, what the price?
I managed to do a straight swap (Omnia 8GB for the Touch HD).

I also have a HTC Diamond and the big difference is the larger screen on the HD and the addition of a micro SD slot. The GUI is the same (Manilla). I think the Diamond has 4GB internal storage but think the HD only has 280MB odd of internal memory (not too worry a Sandisk 4GB micro SD card can be had for less than £6).

I will post some pictures so you can see the two side by side.
Old 31st December 2008, 16:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Here are a few comparison pictures between the HTC Kaiser, iphone (2G), HTC Diamond and the HTC HD.

The HD screen is even larger than the iphone screen.

Name:  IMGP1893.JPG
Views: 604
Size:  173.6 KB
Samsung's Flagship Omnia 16GB in my pocket!!!-imgp1895.jpg
Samsung's Flagship Omnia 16GB in my pocket!!!-imgp1897.jpg
Samsung's Flagship Omnia 16GB in my pocket!!!-imgp1898.jpg
Old 31st December 2008, 17:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Nice comparison photos !
How is phone performance in overall?
Old 31st December 2008, 17:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks took the pictures on my daughters camera she got for xmas. Much easier than getting my pentax digi slr out.

It has an Orange ROM on it. These company branded ROMS are always poor and I will be replacing it with a cooked ROM. Speedwise it is pretty good and similar to the Diamond. The screen is the best thing on this phone and gives it an edge of the Diamond and the iphone.

Just got it unlocked and need to charge it up before I start flashing new ROMS.

Last edited by bigman : 31st December 2008 at 17:38.
Old 1st January 2009, 20:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Omnia is excellent phone compared to IPhone. It is way ahead of IPhone in features. Omnia runs on Windows Mobile.

I know Omnia more for obvious reasons, as I have some contribution in it cheers:. Be prepared of some more killer mobile launch in 2009
Old 1st January 2009, 21:53   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Omnia is excellent phone compared to IPhone. It is way ahead of IPhone in features. Omnia runs on Windows Mobile.

I know Omnia more for obvious reasons, as I have some contribution in it cheers:. Be prepared of some more killer mobile launch in 2009
Compare like with like. Compare Omnia to another WM phone and you will see how poor the Omnia is. The inbuilt GPS is useless compared to the inbuilt systems in HTC phones. Get an old HTC Trinity and even that will lock on to a GPS position quicker. The GUI on the omnia was also poor compared to the Manilla offering from HTC.

Then there is the stupid stylus which is more like a keyring. Why not intergrate it into the phone like HTC have been doing for years.

I also disagree with you about it being excellent compared to the Iphone, at least the iphone has an excellent GUI. Yes the WM has more software but have you ever tried installing s/w on the Omnia ? Get a few medical apps from Skyscape and try to install them on the Omnia, you will soon run out of memory as Samsungs ROM size is too big (this happens regardless if you install to the micro SD card or the internal storage). Try the same software on a HTC device and it loads without any issues.

The Omnia was the worst smartphone I have ever owned. If you are contributing to it ask Samsung to improve the GPS and also the GUI. The only good point was the 8GB of inbuilt memory.

As for being prepared for killer mobile launches, if they are from Samsung (especially smartphones) I will stay a mile away after the experience of the Omnia.

Last edited by bigman : 1st January 2009 at 21:58.
Old 3rd January 2009, 23:29   #30
Senior - BHPian

I checked the local stores here - none of them have it. They have HTC Touch 3G (25K).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks