Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2008, 16:15   #46
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Rehaan baba, Mumbai mamoo vahans don't radiate, at least not in the 0.9-2.4GHz range!
Der Sahib, i was just throwing a few examples of interference out there. I had heard of people facing the "police car" issue in the US, i think it was actually an un-marked car.

OT - wasnt 2.4GHz some sort of reserved band in India until recently (2.4Ghz cordless phones were illegal, and then wifi came in and quickly changed that ?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Tried to measure latency on WiFi. I don't think it would matter that much.

Copied 2 GB videos from PC to Cell. And measured latency at that time. It was just 1 ms. Increased to 2 - 3 ms if I stood between PC and router....
NetFreak,

I have done the same ping test - but the fact is that i was talking about latency as [wifi latency + buffer length].
When you ping your router or another computer over wifi you will get fairly good results (eg. 4ms), but if you continuously ping for 4-5 hours at a stretch you are bound to get a few reults upwards of 100ms due to interference etc as i have mentioned before.
Therefore, in order to have break-free audio, you need to have a buffer length that exceeds the audio break, hence the latency in the played audio.

100ms - 1000ms delay might be bearable for music, but it requires extra workarounds when it comes to syncing audio from a movie etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What about reflections and refractions of the RF signal between transmitter and reciever?...
Nav,

Im a little unsure about your stance on this -- are you saying that eventually what comes out of the router on the receiving end will not be bit to bit identical to what was sent?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th October 2008 at 16:16.
Old 28th October 2008, 18:09   #47
Senior - BHPian

very interesting discussion. Thanks to you guys for putting it in simple terminologies!
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:16   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now that my "HTPC" is setup, there is one thing I need help with. I dont want to use a keyboard or mouse with the unit. The only application of the unit is to watch movies and music. I believe it is possible to use a Windows Mobile phone and a software on the PC to remotely control playback, pause etc on programs like Media Player Classic and Winamp using a Windows Mobile Device, over Bluetooth. Can anyone confirm that this will work? Plan to use either a HTC Touch Diamond or ASUS P320 as the remote control. What software can be used with either or both of these phones to achieve what I want?
Old 3rd January 2009, 19:47   #49
BHPian

If it is not important for you to you use a Mobile/PDA as the remote (I see very little value in this), how about using a Media Centric OS like Windows XP Media Centre Edition which comes with its own remote and receiver?

There are free and paid front end alternatives as well like SageTV, MythTV, myHTPC, Media Portal...You can buy generic media center remotes for all navigation and control purposes. Have seen them going on ebay for $10 or so

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 3rd January 2009 at 19:51.
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Wwill this mean that I have to re-install the OS all over again, and thus have to re-install all programs etc? That would be tiresome. I just want to play, pause, etc. Even if the operations are slow over Bluetooth, it does not matter.
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

I use my wireless mouse for this...Works very nice..Cheap and best.
Old 4th January 2009, 03:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I use my wireless mouse for this...Works very nice..Cheap and best.
Escuse me?

Ahh gotta love Apple!

I am not a hardcore audiophile but use MediaLink on my iMac to feed my PS3 connected to my AV it works great I am sure you can get the quality to be a little bit better is you put in some hi end components in the middle. But this is a very good option. The PS3 has optical out and plays FLAC too!
Old 4th January 2009, 19:22   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
If it is not important for you to you use a Mobile/PDA as the remote (I see very little value in this), how about using a Media Centric OS like Windows XP Media Centre Edition which comes with its own remote and receiver?

There are free and paid front end alternatives as well like SageTV, MythTV, myHTPC, Media Portal...You can buy generic media center remotes for all navigation and control purposes. Have seen them going on ebay for $10 or so
for this you have not just to buy a remote but a compatable TV tuner card, and very handful are compatable with Win XP MC.
haupage is one of them.

Wireless mouse or trackpad seems to be the cheapest option..

PS: check the classified section someone was selling a wireless trackpad etc for a throw away price. i think it was Gigy

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th January 2009 at 19:24.
Old 5th January 2009, 10:10   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Wwill this mean that I have to re-install the OS all over again, and thus have to re-install all programs etc? That would be tiresome. I just want to play, pause, etc. Even if the operations are slow over Bluetooth, it does not matter.
MCE will require a complete re-install since it is the OS itself. But front end SW like Media Portal is just another program which functions as a HTPC shell. If you need to manage the HTPC remotely and avoid using keyboard and mouse, it is better to go for MCE or a front end. Try the free ones first and I'm sure you will be hooked by the convenience though setting it up may take some time, but they all are self explanatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
for this you have not just to buy a remote but a compatable TV tuner card, and very handful are compatable with Win XP MC.
haupage is one of them.

Wireless mouse or trackpad seems to be the cheapest option..
Yes and No.
YES, if MCE is in question. NO for other front end solutions...The $10 ebay ones are just a USB remote receiver+handheld remote.
Old 5th January 2009, 11:18   #55
BHPian

I wonder how Harddisk/fan noise is not an issue - especially with audio equipment mentioned in the Lacs range.
Are Macs completely silent(fanless)? Do they come with SSDs? Or is this irrelevant to the audiophile folks?
Old 5th January 2009, 11:42   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nav,
Im a little unsure about your stance on this -- are you saying that eventually what comes out of the router on the receiving end will not be bit to bit identical to what was sent?
I think this would happen if the signal sent over RF modulation was an analog signal. But a digital signal might not face the same problem. This is becuase the digital signal can have error correction (using methods such as hamming distance).
Hamming distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Error-Correcting Codes: Hamming Distance

RF modulation uses the same technique as FM modulation and you know what your FM radio sounds like.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:29   #57
Senior - BHPian

Like l_b_m, I prefer to use a wireless keyboard. I use this:

Can I have the attention of computing audio gurus!-mswed7000.jpg
This is the keyboard that comes as part of the KB + Mouse combo - the MS Entertainment Desktop 7000. The mouse is not that good (I use the mouse with my lappie and use a G5 with the desktop), but the keyboard is really good. It works with Windows XP Home & Pro -- MCE not really needed.

It works on bluetooth, and works from the next room even. It doesn't need a separate mouse (though it comes with a not-so-good one) -- the keyboard has a small trackpad on the RHS and the left and right mouse buttons on the LHS.

Can I have the attention of computing audio gurus!-mswed70002.jpg
Dedicated mediabuttons (which work with Foobar, so should work with other players) give direct access. The Magnifier button lets mee see everything from 8-10 feet away.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:53   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Like l_b_m, I prefer to use a wireless keyboard. I use this:
I hardly use the keyboard. As major of the stuff is handled by the mouse itself.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:54   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hydrashock
How much does that keyboard cost?
Old 5th January 2009, 12:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I wonder how Harddisk/fan noise is not an issue - especially with audio equipment mentioned in the Lacs range.
Are Macs completely silent(fanless)? Do they come with SSDs? Or is this irrelevant to the audiophile folks?
Err now that you mention it, I just realized that I restarted the wrong thread. I meant to append the query to this thread actually - > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ge-device.html

No audiophile stuff happening there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks