Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 12:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

No licenses.. you end up catching the local wireless messages of the police and vice-versa. However, you could be in serious trouble over this. I also had this thing in mind (10 mile range).. but dropped the idea!
Old 6th May 2009, 12:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think you may just get a license for its use if you can justify its usage. The fees payable are not much. Roughly it would cost you about 15K - 20K initially and then a annual charge of about 10K. You can visit DoT for further details. If you are serious on this let me know Ill find out the details for you.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:23   #18
BHPian

I have got Motorola sets from US. Model number SX900. Its a GMRS/FRS. Have read this thread but still not sure whether one needs a licence in India or not. Can anyone comment with useful links if any?
Old 29th May 2009, 21:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

Post on the forums at: Ham Radio And Electronics Website :: HamRadioIndia , those guys should be able to guide you about licensing etc. National Institute of Amateur Radio - VU2NRO is another useful site.
Old 30th May 2009, 18:45   #20
BANNED

So how many hams here?

Me is. No rig though, thanks to a 5 - yes - you read it right - FIVE years wait for the licence (thanks to a retired babu who wanted to help me speed up my license application). Simply lost interest after that.

BaCKsEaTdRiVeR on a car, and a ham with no righ. Sigh!!!
Old 3rd June 2009, 12:21   #21
BHPian

Motorcycle walkie talkie

Hey Bikers !!!!

Me and my friends are planning a trip to K-Top on our bikes in the last week of june. We are total 6 bikers and the no. might go up to 10. We are from visakhapatnam and will put the bikes in the luggage van till Delhi. and then we plan to ride from delhi till K-top.

Now, i am looking for motorcycle walkie talkies. It should accomodate 10 devices (as we are 10 bikes) and should be a 2 - way thing.

I know nothing about these walkie talkies and i need you guys to help me out. Do we need to take service from some service providers. If Yes, name some please. Also, whats the range these units will provide and how much is it going to cost us.

Pour in with your gyan guys. Need your Help. we are leaving on 18th june and will start from delhi on 21st. So need to buy these asap.

Abbas.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:11   #22
Senior - BHPian

There are walkies available on the net but, getting them in this short time would be difficult for you guys but try out.
Wireless devices can be used to communicate to each other on same frequency [channel] but it wont' be exclusive between two , for that you will need to set the unit up for different people with different channels turned on.
range is usually limited to around 1-2KM anything above that is costly as well as restricted by gov.
choose units with FM [frequency modulation] setup , these provide clear sound quality as signal to noise ratio is better than AM [amplitude modulation] system.
There are units which have direct connection to helmets [mic and speakers ] and some you have to buy separately. new once come with 2.6Ghz frequency but are limited to very short range.
google for 'wireless helmet intercom' [not walkie talkie].

I believe this what your looking for.
Nady 22 Channel Bike-to-Bike Radio Communicator with Helmet Headset: BIKEBONE

Other option is get cheap FM mics with decent range and cheap FM radios, set them up with mic and headphone speakers in helmets and your done, range will be around 500-800 mts, if lucky you can get with 1-1.5km rang FM mics.
these will work all at a time no exclusive channel selection is possible. them work on 108Mhz frequency.This setup would cost you 150-300 per piece. I think.

Last edited by dinar : 3rd June 2009 at 14:24.
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:24   #23
Team-BHP Support

I have not used this s/w

SQZSoft Wifi Walkie Talkie on PocketGear.com
Old 3rd June 2009, 14:46   #24
BANNED

Mobile phone with hands fee and voice dialling?
Old 3rd June 2009, 18:55   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Mobile phone with hands fee and voice dialling?
yeah thought about it but its not that comfortable. Plus we need push to talk system so that the message could be relayed to all in just one push of a button. Can`t do a conference to inform 10 people everytime, and it would be costing us too.
Old 14th March 2010, 18:20   #26
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Reviving an old thread as need an important advise.

First the history :

We 3 freinds are planning a long trip on Bullets (around 3000km) in around 20 days. What we intend is to be in communication while riding / biking & waering helmets & other safety equipments.

What we are looking for

1. 3 walkie Talkie with hands free preferable 2 ways
2. Range does not matter a lot but the more the better
3. Should be personal model & not the one licensed.
4. Prefereable with recharegeable batteries & not very costly.

What we have found is Motorla T5725 at 1700 a piece, with 8 km range (which is 500m in cities) however they dont have hands free with them so they need to bought seperately.

Suggestions required

1. Any better model to go?
2. is this price of 1700 worth or we can get it cheaper.
3. What type of headsets are used in T5725
4. Is there any place in delhi where we can test & buy something better.

Help Appreciated!!!!

@ Dinar : Can you explain FM concept a little more.
Old 14th March 2010, 23:41   #27
BHPian

I have got a Uniden walkie talkie set as shown in one of the pics at the beginning of the thread. The original rechargeble battery didn't last a few charges. I bought 6 rechargeble AAA with a charger. The whole thing never worked. Rs 750 gone down the drain. Now I am searching for batteries for the walkie talkie. My cousin had got them from Australia. Guess the voltage there is different (110 V), maybe that is why the original batteries died so soon.

I need help to find the correct batteries for the set. Rechargeble is basic requirement.

Thanks!
Old 15th March 2010, 10:17   #28
BHPian

i think anything above 2kms range is illegal without proper certification/license etc. Can someone confirm?

One of our groupies bought a bunch of these when he returned to India and we attempted to use them on one club ride to Dandeli. The damn things are more trouble than anything else! Needless to say they havent been seen again on club rides. EVER!

@Sam: honestly i wouldnt advise getting these walkie talkies because they are just plain trouble and virtually useless in a regular group ride kind of situation. Trust me: we have tried this out in practice! "Eyeball Mk.II": keeping the rider behind you in sight of your rear view mirror works out better in practice.

But if you have to get a walkie-talkie sets for your club, ensure that you also get a bike communication kit like the one here:
http://www.bikeeffects.com/products.asp?cat=8560.

This kit comes with a speaker/mic that can be fitted into your helmet and can be used to connect your walkie-talkie, mobile phone and even IPODS. This will also let you talk to your pillion.

Last edited by COUGAR : 15th March 2010 at 10:36.
Old 15th March 2010, 12:38   #29
BHPian

@ Cougar : They are too costly!!!!
Old 15th March 2010, 14:11   #30
BHPian

Yes i know. But it is a "must-have" - certainly more than the walkie-talkie. This device allows you to receive calls without takin off the helmet etc. The IPOD is automatically placed on hold when the call comes in etc.

As i said before, i think a walkie-talkie is more of a pain than a value addition on a group ride. But if you must have it, then combined with this device allows for seamless wireless connectivity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks