Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 10:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I have got a Uniden walkie talkie set as shown in one of the pics at the beginning of the thread. The original rechargeble battery didn't last a few charges. I bought 6 rechargeble AAA with a charger. The whole thing never worked. Rs 750 gone down the drain. Now I am searching for batteries for the walkie talkie. My cousin had got them from Australia. Guess the voltage there is different (110 V), maybe that is why the original batteries died so soon.

I need help to find the correct batteries for the set. Rechargeble is basic requirement.

Thanks!
Please give the specs for the model and the voltage rating printed on the back of the walkie talkie.
Old 16th March 2010, 11:07   #32
BHPian

This is the link for uniden products
UnidenDirect - Products - FRS/GMRS

Can anyone confirm if any of these products can be used without a license?
Old 20th May 2010, 12:41   #33
BHPian

Try this place.. they help with license

http://www.iconetwireless.com/licence.html

Last edited by bblost : 23rd July 2010 at 23:57. Reason: Removed font tags. Thanks.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:04   #34
Senior - BHPian

ok ,if you buy a 10 mile range walkie talkie how could some one verify this(the cop or some one ) ? if you say its just 1 mile walkie talkie .
Old 17th June 2010, 20:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

use mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
What we are looking for

1. 3 walkie Talkie with hands free preferable 2 ways
2. Range does not matter a lot but the more the better
3. Should be personal model & not the one licensed.
4. Prefereable with recharegeable batteries & not very costly.
best way is to get a mobile group connection of airtel/idea/vodafone/your choice. it will be more convenient.
  • free calling.
  • no problem of range.
  • hands free. (speed dial)
  • no problem of extra chargers.
regards,
nikhil

Old 17th June 2010, 20:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

mobiles don't work in the areas TBHPians intend to go into.
Old 18th June 2010, 07:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
mobiles don't work in the areas TBHPians intend to go into.
you are right .
but it is use full most of the time.
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:06   #38

Just read the threads here while searching for Amateur Radio.

I am a licensed Amateur Radio Operator (Ham) and work VHF and UHF ham frequencies on my WagonR .

I use a Yaesu VX5R handy (walky talkie) and a Diamond Dual band antenna fixed at the hatch using an antenna mount.

I don't use it much from the car especially when I am driving, preferring to use it for emergency or disaster communications ( during earthquakes or Tsunamis).

Its not permissible to use wireless sets during mobile operations unless you are licensed by the W.P.C ( Wireless Planning Commission) which is the official department of the Ministry of communications and Information Technology overlooking radio spectrum usage and licensing.
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:04   #39
Senior - BHPian

OK UHF and VHF bands need licensing but I ahve heard that these days you cna procure CB hand sets from abroad and then get a license for Rs 4000 one time for PAN INDIA use. Can someone confirm this and if someone is using the walkie talkies bought abroad share the experience?
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Dear Friends,

Reviving an old thread as need an important advise.

First the history :

We 3 freinds are planning a long trip on Bullets (around 3000km) in around 20 days. What we intend is to be in communication while riding / biking & waering helmets & other safety equipments.

What we are looking for

1. 3 walkie Talkie with hands free preferable 2 ways
2. Range does not matter a lot but the more the better
3. Should be personal model & not the one licensed.
4. Prefereable with recharegeable batteries & not very costly.

What we have found is Motorla T5725 at 1700 a piece, with 8 km range (which is 500m in cities) however they dont have hands free with them so they need to bought seperately.

Suggestions required

1. Any better model to go?
2. is this price of 1700 worth or we can get it cheaper.
3. What type of headsets are used in T5725
4. Is there any place in delhi where we can test & buy something better.

Help Appreciated!!!!

@ Dinar : Can you explain FM concept a little more.
---------

The best and unliscenced sets that you can get are the motorola FRS/GMRS sets from imported stuff/electronics shops in major cities. If not try on ebay, there are several for sale at pretty reasonable prices. The ones with rechargeable batteries are best avoided as they have crappy chinese batts that lose in in a few charges. get hold of a set that takes AA batteries and then procure a good brand 2500 Mah rechargeable to use with them and the benefit of AA is that you can use regular duracell/energiser when there is no place to charge. A set of duracell will last 6-7 hrs or normal use.

try and get sets which accept headsets and are VOX operated. That way you can use them 100% handsfree while driving your bike. the range depends on the output power, so the ones that read 8 mile, 16 mile range etc are all crap. At best you can use them for 400-500 m in the city. 1 km on the highways and perhaps 2 km in an interference free zone like leh, or on the high seas.

some of the motorola frs sets can take older nokia headsets (2.5 mm jack, four pole type) and good if you want to save some money.

hope this helps. PM me if you want more detail
Old 23rd July 2010, 23:57   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
You need a licence. You can get a licence if you own fishing trawlers, barges etc.
Then you can use only marine frequencies and not general ones
Old 11th April 2012, 16:30   #42
BHPian

Re: Using wireless / 2-way radios on the road

CB radios have been recently launched and are available off the shelf from a new Delhi dealer. These are licence free and very reasonably priced. It is best to get these radios for a hassle free comm setup
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
---------

The best and unliscenced sets that you can get are the motorola FRS/GMRS sets from imported stuff/electronics shops in major cities. If not try on ebay, there are several for sale at pretty reasonable prices. The ones with rechargeable batteries are best avoided as they have crappy chinese batts that lose in in a few charges. get hold of a set that takes AA batteries and then procure a good brand 2500 Mah rechargeable to use with them and the benefit of AA is that you can use regular duracell/energiser when there is no place to charge. A set of duracell will last 6-7 hrs or normal use.

try and get sets which accept headsets and are VOX operated. That way you can use them 100% handsfree while driving your bike. the range depends on the output power, so the ones that read 8 mile, 16 mile range etc are all crap. At best you can use them for 400-500 m in the city. 1 km on the highways and perhaps 2 km in an interference free zone like leh, or on the high seas.

some of the motorola frs sets can take older nokia headsets (2.5 mm jack, four pole type) and good if you want to save some money.

hope this helps. PM me if you want more detail
Your post is really helpful and exactly what I had in mind.

I am a bit skeptical though, do you have any pointers/link to backup the claim of license free operation of FRS/GMRS two way radios? I am planning to buy a Uniden one.

Regards.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:13   #44
BHPian

Okay. Found a good deal on ebay.com and ordered it. Hopefully I would be able to use it in India without any issues!

Uniden GMR2238-2CK-R Refurbished GMRS Family Radio | eBay
Old 10th July 2012, 11:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Okay. Found a good deal on ebay.com and ordered it. Hopefully I would be able to use it in India without any issues!

Uniden GMR2238-2CK-R Refurbished GMRS Family Radio | eBay
These are not legal to use in India as the frequencies used by FRS are allocated to the police and other authorities in India. These sets are only 0.5 W in power and good for 3-400 m at best.

Good luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks