Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 12:58   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

I already have 3G signals of Airtel, Aircel, Tata Tele and Cellone (BSNL) available in my residence :-)

BTW, Tata DoCoMo's T&C states:

Mobile internet is not to be used for other activities (e.g. using your handset as a modem, voice or video over the internet, peer to peer file sharing). Should you exceed your fair usage limit or such use be detected, TTSL reserves right to take action by restricting bandwidth, and/or suspension of data browsing and/ or temporarily suspend subscriber account in case of data usage in violation of fair usage policy.

So will they actually monitor VOIP usage (Skype, Fring etc) and cut off conenctions?
Old 12th November 2010, 14:46   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Mobile internet is not to be used for other activities (e.g. using your handset as a modem, voice or video over the internet, peer to peer file sharing). Should you exceed your fair usage limit or such use be detected, TTSL reserves right to take action by restricting bandwidth, and/or suspension of data browsing and/ or temporarily suspend subscriber account in case of data usage in violation of fair usage policy.
WHAT! no tethering ie using as a modem??!! Its ridiculous! love BSNL that way, they don't have any such restrictions even for a pre-paid connection.
Old 12th November 2010, 21:20   #63
BHPian

Fairusage: for whom? Operators

Idiots why did they even launch the service. 3-4" screen on mobile cannot be a replacement for laptop. If they want let them charge but provide Tethering
Old 12th November 2010, 22:12   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Fairusage: for whom? Operators

Idiots why did they even launch the service. 3-4" screen on mobile cannot be a replacement for laptop. If they want let them charge but provide Tethering
exactly, if they wish to stop illegal use, restrict the torrents and block download sites, but that too cannot be 100% perfect.

how would you download a file sent from your boss using file sharing sites if such thing happens.

no wonder someday they'll want you to use 3G for phone and e-mail in text only, as pictures and browsers can be mis-used, LOL

Grow up Tata Guys
Old 12th November 2010, 22:39   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
WHAT! no tethering ie using as a modem??!! Its ridiculous! love BSNL that way, they don't have any such restrictions even for a pre-paid connection.
I reverse tether my ipod touch to my Nokia 3720 as bluetooth modem using GPRS/EDGE (class 32) to surf the net anytime anywhere. In fact I also installed skype for ipod touch but never used it.

Didn't know this was illegal as I was hoping to stream videos once 3G became cheaper. :(

cheers
Old 12th November 2010, 23:02   #66
Senior - BHPian

This obviously is about spectrum, and not about legality of data transfer.

Operators paid through the nose for spectrum in auction. They can not let few users hog this spectrum.

These limits are there to ensure that such heavy users use landlines for such usage.

Even operators in US that initially allowed unlimited wireless data usage have begum specifying limits (or FUP) on data transfer.
Old 12th November 2010, 23:02   #67
Team-BHP Support

Its not illegal, Airtel and BSNL allows it and promote these in their adds lol Only for docomo i guess.
Old 14th November 2010, 23:20   #68
BHPian

The Airtel 3g signal is live here in Mumbai and Suburban Thane.
Looks like the 3g launch of Airtel is not too far away.

Airtel have always been slow in adopting and placing billing place.

WHen gprs started in airtel way back in 2004, the accoutn were never billed for atleast 5 6 month. Hope the similar sitatuions happens now too. Though i doubt that will happen. None of the operators who have secured 3g spectrum will let even a paisa off the customers pocket. Just hope that they price reasonably.
Old 24th January 2011, 20:51   #69
BHPian

Re: Bharti Airtel Set to Start 3G Services

After a very long wait, Airtel finally launched their 3G services in Bangalore today. I have activated it on my iPhone and tested. The 3G network coverage does not seem to be good. Usually I get full signal bars, but with 3G I get none. But the data seems to works fine. The data speed is around 1.5 Mbps consistently. Which is kinda slow for 3G. Here are some screen shots.
Attached Images

Old 24th January 2011, 21:38   #70
BHPian

Re: Atlast! 3G in India

After a very long wait, Airtel finally launched their 3G services in Bangalore today. I have activated it on my iPhone and tested. The 3G network coverage does not seem to be good. Usually I get full signal bars, but with 3G I get none. But the data seems to works fine. The data speed is around 1.5 Mbps consistently. Which is kinda slow for 3G. Here are some screen shots.
Attached Images

Old 24th January 2011, 21:50   #71
BHPian

^^Wow, thats terrific. 1.5 mbps on mobile is not bad either and should double in the due course. What are the rate plans and do we need to change the sim card? Lack of adequate coverage could be an issue though.

Last edited by v.anand : 24th January 2011 at 21:52.
Old 24th January 2011, 22:37   #72
BHPian

No you do not need to change your Sim. Send "3G Help" to 121 to know more on the service, handset settings etc. To enable the 3G service, send "3G" to 121.
Airtel hasn't released any tariff plans yet. They are charging 20 paise for 30 kb as of now.
Old 24th January 2011, 23:21   #73
Senior - BHPian

Only Bengaluru has got it till now. Here is the price plan. 3G Internet, 3G Network, 3G Mobile Phone Video Calling and Conferencing
Old 24th January 2011, 23:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

if those plans are just for data, then its a rip off. they gotta come up with better pricing. a friend of mine (close to Airtel) told me that the network isn't stable yet and speeds are pretty slow. i don't plan to jump into Airtel's 3G plans just as yet - will wait and watch.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:34   #75
Team-BHP Support

Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Same here i got 1 mbps at home (silk board) and 1.4 at office (koramangala). Coverage in office was always on the edge and remains the same with 3G also, down by 1 bar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks