Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2011, 20:54   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Atlast! 3G in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Wow, this speed looks very good. Unfortunately I live out of the 3G service area and only get it while I am at work and that too if I am lucky.
i think we're gonna face this problem for some time i guess. there will be areas where the network won't be available.

Quote:
Have you started getting charged for 3G data? I have used it for a while and I haven't been charged yet.
i guess i'll be charged from today. how do you know you've not been charged? are you on pre-paid connection?
Old 25th January 2011, 21:10   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i think we're gonna face this problem for some time i guess. there will be areas where the network won't be available.

i guess i'll be charged from today. how do you know you've not been charged? are you on pre-paid connection?

Yes, I am on Prepaid and I have the ability to check my data usage and charges.
Old 25th January 2011, 21:23   #108
Team-BHP Support

Ok people with corp connection have to send official email to 121 email id. Also i get the same 1.4 mbps while using phone as modem, guess silkboard tower is slow
Old 26th January 2011, 18:57   #109
Team-BHP Support

Indira Nagar area net was down both in 3G and EDGE. HSR was acting up with no signal, just got back into coverage. I think Airtel is having lot of teething issues :-/
Old 26th January 2011, 19:45   #110
BHPian

I had applied for number portability yesterday and early this morning I got a call from Airtel, asking me why I want to switch to another service provider. One of the reasons I gave him was 3G availability. (I have used BSNL 3G and it works brilliantly without such issues) He promised me that by the 1st of feb 3G will be completely up and running in Bangalore and they will also address all my other concerns. I don't believe a single word they say, by will wait till 1st of feb and then decide.

The one thing that baffles me is - why advertise a product and fool customers saying it is up and running while it hardly works. Hope number portability teaches them a lesson.
Old 26th January 2011, 22:01   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Indira Nagar area net was down both in 3G and EDGE. HSR was acting up with no signal, just got back into coverage. I think Airtel is having lot of teething issues
they don't have any teeth! they're way behind other operators (BSNL, Tata, Vodafone) in launching 3G and they're scrambling. they just want something up and running and later maybe iron out the issues. unfortunately for them, MNP is here and they'll loose customers very fast if they don't pull themselves up by the bootstraps.

Quote:
The one thing that baffles me is - why advertise a product and fool customers saying it is up and running while it hardly works. Hope number portability teaches them a lesson.
don't get your hopes high. i've been with Airtel since they took over from JTM (more than 10yrs). these guys have their heads so far back up their behinds, they don't work on issues unless some big-shot gets dragged into the chain of communication or things get escalated really high!
Old 26th January 2011, 23:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
tested the 3G using the wifi router on my phone and below are the speeds.

round 1:

here H turned to E in between.

round 2:

others, please post your results.
Did you say that "tested the 3G using the wifi router"? Are these wifi results or the gsm 3G results.?
Old 27th January 2011, 00:04   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipperone View Post
Did you say that "tested the 3G using the wifi router"? Are these wifi results or the gsm 3G results.?
well, i've a application on my HD2 that converts it into a wifi router (802.11g) and uses the phone's connection (GPRS, Edge, 3G or 3.5G) to allow the computer connected to use the internet. better than using the phone as a blutooth/usb modem.

those results were posted of the test run from my laptop connected to the adhoc connection created with the wifi router on my phone
Old 27th January 2011, 09:45   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Ok people with corp connection have to send official email to 121 email id. Also i get the same 1.4 mbps while using phone as modem, guess silkboard tower is slow
Which email is this? I sent a request to 121@airtel.in and I got a reply asking me to mention the landline number clearly . That email obviously went to the landline division.

Today morning my phone was showing neither E nor H or whatever. Just bars. That means I have no internet connectivity at all.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:52   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Today morning my phone was showing neither E nor H or whatever. Just bars. That means I have no internet connectivity at all.
i had H on display this morning, but couldn't browse or access the internet. even now, 3hrs later, the problem exists.
Old 27th January 2011, 11:51   #116
Team-BHP Support

I finally got a reply that mobile related mails should be sent to 121@airtelindia.com address.
Old 27th January 2011, 12:06   #117
Team-BHP Support

Oops sorry yes and you have to mention your mobile number as subject line, that is the standard format they use for any complains. I remember this from iPhone unlock fiasco. Network is acting crazy and right now its showing E and 3G does not have internet connectivity in either of them in Koramangala 1st block!
Old 27th January 2011, 16:18   #118
BHPian

While in the office i seem to be getting a steady 3G signal. At home it moves between E and 3G so was not able to test speed.
Hence checked now at GRTP, Whitefield.
Samsung Wave as mobile AP.
Ran the speed test from speedtest.net, strangely the ISP shows a different provider than Airtel.
Attached Thumbnails
Atlast! 3G in India-speedtest.jpg  

Old 27th January 2011, 19:40   #119
BHPian

Does anyone have an idea of the roaming charges (National) for the 3G services?
Old 27th January 2011, 20:43   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Does anyone have an idea of the roaming charges (National) for the 3G services?
Got this piece of info from the Airtel 3G faq page.

"Free data usage available in 3G data pack not applicable while roaming. Browsing charges of 30p/20kb will apply".

I guess it means that, If you have a 1 GB 3G data plan, that plan would not be applicable while roaming and you will get charged @ 30p/20kb. I may be wrong here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks