Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2008, 09:16   #1
BHPian

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430

I was bitten by the GPS bug, and almost cured thanks to the MRP for these devices!!!

As usual, TeamBHP was the first place I searched for info on GPS devices. I found that most reviews or info on the forum was based on maps running on PDA or a mobile. I was looking for a dedicated GPS device and none of the info I found could give me a clear-cut picture, be it on the forum or on the web. Started a new thread with queries on GPS devices and was guided by one of the mods on to an existing thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...apmyindia.html

This thread was dead for four months and I walked in resurrecting it to its old glory!!! Posted my questions and thus began my journey into the world of GPS. One of my first findings was that these devices are obscenely expensive (at least for me it was). Second was that no forum existed where a comprehensive review/comparison on MapmyIndia Vs SatGuide maps could be found. To and fro began on the thread, and was able to gain a lot of basic understanding about GPS devices and maps. I had emailed MapmyIndia on whether they can provide maps for a 3rd party stand-alone GPS device (like Garmin or TomTom) and they refused. Mailed Balupunkt also, as they were a new player in the market, who has some awesome looking units which use MapmyIndia maps (174cities map, not the latest 200+ cities map). The replies from both informed that there are no discounts or rebates available.

The bug was almost dead, and I was slowly thinking of packing the idea away for a few months, maybe till I earned more or prices came down. That was when luck stuck, I was checking the SatGuide web-site and to my surprise found that the X430 unit which was costing Rs19999/- a day back, was being sold at Rs11586/-. Called up SatGuide at about 0800hrs and they confirmed that it was not a web-site goof-up and that they actually had the offer on. Then it was frenzy, called up HVK, got some info from him on what all to check about the device before ordering online. He was the first person I contacted to get info about GPS even before posting on the thread. Thanks a lot HVK.

He asked me to contact Ramky, called up Ramky (gem of a guy, guess most of you know that) and told him about the offer. We talked over the mobile and through PMs, and a huge “Thanks” to you for being patient and answering all the questions pre & post the purchase, and in getting me to have some questions of my own for the SatGuide people. Appreciate that a lot.

Laluks was another person who gave me some true feedback on SatGuide maps. Thanks a lot to you for the clean-cut feedback.

Placed the order at about 1100hrs on the same day, 3rd Dec ‘08. It was a quick decision and one that I haven’t regretted. Got the device delivered at noon on 6th Dec ’08.

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430-2008_12140007.jpg

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430-2008_12140016.jpg

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430-2008_12140005.jpg

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430-2008_12140008.jpg

Initial Impression:

Positives:

- The build of the device is sturdy. Not too light or too heavy.
- Comes bundled with a USB cable, car charger and a holder that fits on the windscreen. I had doubts on whether the suction mechanism would hold when driving through bad roads, and it does hold.
- 4.3 Inch Screen is good for navigation.
- Color display is good and the graphics are above par. Good readability off the screen. I’ve heard that MapmyIndia has better graphics. Not seen one in physical form, so can’t comment much.
- Voice navigation is clear. Have not tried MP3 playback yet.
- Had issues with GPS signal reception. It used to take anything between 10 to 15mins initially. Called up SatGuide and they did some troubleshooting, which has sorted this issue. As of today, it takes less than a min to triangulate
- Navigation/Route Selection is good.

Negatives:

- Come sunshine and the screen is not visible. The contrast capacity of the display is no good when sunlight falls on the unit. You need to cup your palm over the screen to read. Only saving grace is the voice guidance. But then, this is the biggest irritation I’ve about this unit.
- Position of the car on the map is displaced by a few meters at times. For example if you are in a housing colony with parallel roads close-by, the device might actually show you are on a different road, than that which you are on. Could be dependent on the number of Satellites the device can lock to at that instant.
- If you have multiple POI (Points of Interest) selected when searching for a building name or location name, system gets slow. For example, if you would like to search for your office building, and you are not sure which POI category it has been specified under (Commercial Buildings or Business Establishments. Note: This is an example and not actual POI names), and you select both the options, search takes time. Is this confusing?? This is the best I could convey!!!
- In case you divert from the route, auto-route correction is done. However, once I tested this, it asked me to take a kachha road.

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430-2008_12140011.jpg

Initial Impression – SatGuide Voxtel X430-2008_12140013.jpg

So, that’s basically it. I’m yet to utilize/explore all the features that are available like multi-stop route planner, route recording facility etc. Will keep this thread alive with my findings as days and weeks go on by. Waiting for a long drive to test the device out. If someone has a MapmyIndia unit, it’d be great if you can start a thread too. It’ll help people choose.
Old 14th December 2008, 10:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi Unni. Thanks for posting such a detailed review. I was looking at purchasing a GPS unit myself and came across this offer from Satguide. Is the 9999/- offer for Voxtel 4.3 still on? Their website does not make any mention. I believe it was on for a brief period and they were flooded with orders. As per initial information, this was to remain on till 31st Dec 08. IS there some way I can still get it at that price?
Old 14th December 2008, 19:49   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Hi Unni. Thanks for posting such a detailed review. I was looking at purchasing a GPS unit myself and came across this offer from Satguide. Is the 9999/- offer for Voxtel 4.3 still on? Their website does not make any mention. I believe it was on for a brief period and they were flooded with orders. As per initial information, this was to remain on till 31st Dec 08. IS there some way I can still get it at that price?
Hi Hrman, I'm not sure if the offer is still on. Like you mentioned, they were flooded with orders during the intial few days. However, you may try contacting Shoban Babu T, Regional Sales Head-South, SatNav Technologies Pvt. Ltd., Mobile,: +91 96111 10421, Office: 040-6677 7333 Ext: 339/353, Fax: 040-6668 7333.
Old 14th December 2008, 20:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good review Unni.

Am also on the look out for one and was torn between getting a phone GPS or a standalone one. This will certainly help me in this.

And is there any periodic charge that you need to pay SatGuide?
Old 14th December 2008, 21:07   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Good review Unni.

Am also on the look out for one and was torn between getting a phone GPS or a standalone one. This will certainly help me in this.

And is there any periodic charge that you need to pay SatGuide?
Thank you HappyWheels.

The unit comes with All India Map pre-loaded. You'll need to pay for Map Upgrades, which are released every quarter. Currently they have 2 Map Upgrade plans available, one for Rs999/- and another for Rs1999/-. This what I found on their web-site.
Old 15th December 2008, 18:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Thank you HappyWheels.

The unit comes with All India Map pre-loaded. You'll need to pay for Map Upgrades, which are released every quarter. Currently they have 2 Map Upgrade plans available, one for Rs999/- and another for Rs1999/-. This what I found on their web-site.
Unni,

First of all thank you for your kind post; I believe we are here to share information so that we can take better decisions and help others to do the same.

2nd, Thank you for that objective review and the details therein. Nice to hear that the lock-on is faster.

Last week I downloaded my Satguide upgrade, the latest one is a great improvement with lots more POI's.

As for the upgrade, I don't think you should subscribe now, the present map on the system is good for navigation. If, after 6 months, you find that there is a dramatic improvement in the upgrade, then you can subscribe, that way you'd be eligible for 12 more months from that date.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
======
Old 16th December 2008, 01:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

To all those with one of these Voxtel units, it is a generic unit and I am 95% sure you can run the mapmyindia software on it via an SD card. Drop me a PM if you want to try this. If you remove the SD it will boot to the default software pre loaded on the unit.
Old 16th December 2008, 02:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

As for the upgrade, I don't think you should subscribe now, the present map on the system is good for navigation. If, after 6 months, you find that there is a dramatic improvement in the upgrade, then you can subscribe, that way you'd be eligible for 12 more months from that date.
I agree with you, it's better to wait for 6 months or more before subscribing for one of the upgrade plans.
Old 16th December 2008, 12:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
To all those with one of these Voxtel units, it is a generic unit and I am 95% sure you can run the mapmyindia software on it via an SD card. Drop me a PM if you want to try this. If you remove the SD it will boot to the default software pre loaded on the unit.

I think it my be more complicated than that.

There are 3 check points to ensure that people do not get away by changing the handset or changing the card:

1. The devise id
2. The licence key
3. The activation key

These will have to synchronize for the software to fire.

I lost all data in my PDA recently while downloading the Satguide upgrade, I had to delete all data, through the telephone they gave me the above 3 alpha numeric codes, only after that that the map software opened. I think this is standard practice for all map software and devises.

--Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th December 2008 at 12:29.
Old 16th December 2008, 15:48   #10
bhp
BHPian

I also got myself the SatGuide Voxtel X430 under the special offer...
placed the order on saturday 6th dec evening at 18:00 and got the delivery on monday 8th dec at 13:00 hrs via blue dart. their delivery time is really impressive..
paid 11,586 + 650 (octroi paid to blue dart) .

Took the device to pune , ahmednagar, shirdi and nasik so far..
maps for pune nasik and mumbai are quite accurate (may be around 70-75%)..
national highway from nasik to mumbai was very accurate specially the kasara ghat curves was fantastic to look on the device.
state highways are 50% accurate.

the indicative kms from one city to another is not very accurate though.
they are always 50-60 kms less then the actual distance to be covered .

Rest all points are put up by unni..

hope the next upgrade has more detailing and accuracy

Last edited by bhp : 16th December 2008 at 15:50.
Old 17th December 2008, 03:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I think it my be more complicated than that.

There are 3 check points to ensure that people do not get away by changing the handset or changing the card:

1. The devise id
2. The licence key
3. The activation key

These will have to synchronize for the software to fire.

I lost all data in my PDA recently while downloading the Satguide upgrade, I had to delete all data, through the telephone they gave me the above 3 alpha numeric codes, only after that that the map software opened. I think this is standard practice for all map software and devises.

--Ramky
====
When I was going thru the manual for Voxtel, it had a part on Activation Key that was required to switch on and set-up the device. I called up SatGuide and they informed me that they have pre-activated (for want of a better word) the unit and that I can just charge, switch on and get going.

Is there any string that you can pull to know about the compatibility!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
I also got myself the SatGuide Voxtel X430 under the special offer...
placed the order on saturday 6th dec evening at 18:00 and got the delivery on monday 8th dec at 13:00 hrs via blue dart. their delivery time is really impressive..
paid 11,586 + 650 (octroi paid to blue dart) .

Took the device to pune , ahmednagar, shirdi and nasik so far..
maps for pune nasik and mumbai are quite accurate (may be around 70-75%)..
national highway from nasik to mumbai was very accurate specially the kasara ghat curves was fantastic to look on the device.
state highways are 50% accurate.

the indicative kms from one city to another is not very accurate though.
they are always 50-60 kms less then the actual distance to be covered .

Rest all points are put up by unni..

hope the next upgrade has more detailing and accuracy
Congrats bhp.

Yes, their delivery time is pretty impressive. I too felt that the distances they have given is off mark. As per users, SatGuide updates are pretty good and you have an option of mailing them about your findings, which may get updated in the next map release.
Old 17th December 2008, 08:43   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed report. I've one query.

Is the installation of the kit a DIY? Or do we need to go to any service center to get it done?
Old 17th December 2008, 14:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilrs View Post
Thanks for the detailed report. I've one query.

Is the installation of the kit a DIY? Or do we need to go to any service center to get it done?

Usually self installed. Its comes with a windscreen sucker mount and it takes less than 30 seconds to install.

One word of warning do remove these units when away from the cars (and remove the windscreen mount). In the UK the theft of satnav devices is a regular thing, thieves look for cars with mounts in the windscreen and 9 times out of 10 the owner has left the satnav device in the glovebox.
Old 18th December 2008, 00:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Apparently mapmyindia does work on these units. Just got to get GPS port going and hey presto you guys will have choice of s/w you can run on these boxes (using an SD card).
Old 24th December 2008, 14:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Unni, after reading your thread, I took (what may be) an impulsive decision this afternoon. I called them up & asked if it was still available at the "special price", fully expecting a "No".

But guess what? Still available. Cost me 10,075 including 300 for shipping. Delivery expected day after tomorrow. Hope it comes in as scheduled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Is the 9999/- offer for Voxtel 4.3 still on? Their website does not make any mention. I believe it was on for a brief period and they were flooded with orders. As per initial information, this was to remain on till 31st Dec 08. IS there some way I can still get it at that price?
Call them up - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks