Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Was informed by a friend that as of a few days back MTNL has a few new plans :

1) 1mbps - Unlimited - 1599/month
2) 4mbps - 8gb - 1499/mo

More here : MTNL Broadband Internet Services Tariff Plans

cya
R
Hey, I've noticed that plan too and thinking of changing to the 1 mbps option.

Has anyone here used either of these plans? How are they?

The only option where I live is MTNL, the cable operator has horrible service and I get no GSM/CDMA signals at home.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:41   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Tikona: "Contention Ratio - 1:30 for unlimited & High Speed Internet Plans; 1:10 for Circuit Breaker Plans"
Good point. However, given our infrastructure, what is an acceptable contention ratio?

The PDF posted by netfreak says :
"Broadband: We recommend maintaining ratios between 1:20 and 1:50, following standard practice in the UK, for both business and residential customers."

In which case the 1:30 of tikona should, in theory, be okay - right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I have my doubts on this company....
Yeah, i hadn't even heard of it before a friend sent me the link. He might be getting it. Lets see how it turns out.
Haven't heard anything new about reliance's similar - "WiMax" - in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
...thinking of changing to the 1 mbps option.

Has anyone here used either of these plans? How are they?
Firstly, moving from hathway(cable) to MTNL (ADSL) was a night and day difference for me.
See, the thing is, not only do download speeds improve, but there is also so much less latency - so regular browsing is much snappier and more pleasurable.

As for the 1mbps plan - i have put in my papers. Switching from 2mbps/16GB to 1mbps/unlimited and saving Rs 800/p.m.
Will let you know once its in effect.

However, DerAlte's point has made me think : Is there likely to be a different contention ratio for unlimited plans vs limited plans on MTNL ?? Is that even possible / likely?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2009 at 14:43.
Old 1st October 2009, 17:44   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
As for the 1mbps plan - i have put in my papers. Switching from 2mbps/16GB to 1mbps/unlimited and saving Rs 800/p.m.
Will let you know once its in effect.
Just started this plan today.

speedtest.net shows no change in speed

111ms ping
1.75mbps (same as when i was on the 2mbps plan)
0.21mbps upload (same as before, most MTNL plan uploads are @256kbps)

So far so good! (Though i wouldn't be surprised if download speed drops to 0.85mbps in the future, as they start imposing the speed limit).

cya
R
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:51   #49

This is What I got!! PATHETIC!!! And Im paying 2400 P.M.

Old 3rd October 2009, 12:56   #50
Senior - BHPian

^ this looks impossible. I am on the 512 kbps UL plan for Rs 999 pm and I get about 50-53 kbps download speed on torrents!

Even right now, when some downloads are on, this is the speed that I am getting:

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 3rd October 2009 at 12:59.
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:36   #51
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

This is what a 2MBPS / 4Gb connection with BSNL has given me.

I am lucky as this hardly has seen any downtime.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:05   #52

This is getting ridiculous!!

Old 7th October 2009, 14:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Do you use parallel connections for phone?

Specifically, do not split phone line before ADSL.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Do you use parallel connections for phone?

Specifically, do not split phone line before ADSL.
Do you mean using the same phone line for internet and landline phone? I'm doing that and facing problems with it. such as low speeds, internet connection keeps getting disrupted when phone is used and so on.

So now i've decided to resurrect an old "on hold" mtnl line I had and use that exclusively for internet access. Will that help?

unfortuantely, where I live MTNL is the most reliable ISP. All others that I have tried are either very very slow or unreliable.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
This is getting ridiculous!!

Whats the problem now? Are you on a 512 kbps connection? If yes, the above reported speeds are normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Do you mean using the same phone line for internet and landline phone? I'm doing that and facing problems with it. such as low speeds, internet connection keeps getting disrupted when phone is used and so on.

So now i've decided to resurrect an old "on hold" mtnl line I had and use that exclusively for internet access. Will that help?

unfortuantely, where I live MTNL is the most reliable ISP. All others that I have tried are either very very slow or unreliable.
Dont have to follow the on hold method. If you are on ADSL, the entire logic is to be able to use the phone line simultaneously for voice and data.

Just get a an ADSL splitter. It costs just 30-50 bucks. One wire goes into it from your main (wall) line. Out comes 2 wires, one of which shall go into your ADSL modem/router and the other shall go into your telephone. Simple.

And remember, if you have parallel telephone lines, using that at the time when you are surfing shall slow down internet speeds massively.
Old 9th October 2009, 23:47   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Whats the problem now? Are you on a 512 kbps connection? If yes, the above reported speeds are normal.

Dont have to follow the on hold method. If you are on ADSL, the entire logic is to be able to use the phone line simultaneously for voice and data.

Just get a an ADSL splitter. It costs just 30-50 bucks. One wire goes into it from your main (wall) line. Out comes 2 wires, one of which shall go into your ADSL modem/router and the other shall go into your telephone. Simple.

And remember, if you have parallel telephone lines, using that at the time when you are surfing shall slow down internet speeds massively.

NO!! I am on a 2GB Scheme!!!! Thats the Point. And I have the Above config at home and the net disconnects when I pick the phone up from the bedroom line.
Old 10th October 2009, 00:33   #57
BHPian

Mumbai users a new kid on the block and the plans are just too good just check it out,planning to shift from MTNL.
Nivyah
Old 10th October 2009, 00:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
And I have the Above config at home and the net disconnects when I pick the phone up from the bedroom line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

I already have the splitter and for about an year, internet+phone worked fine simultaneously

A few months ago, the problem started wherein the internet kept getting disconnected when the phone is being used. The MTNL chappie made a few visits, but could not figure out why this was happening.

Which is why as the last option, i'm planning to resurrect the "on hold" phone and use it exclusively for internet.
Old 10th October 2009, 00:57   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
NO!! I am on a 2GB Scheme!!!! Thats the Point. And I have the Above config at home and the net disconnects when I pick the phone up from the bedroom line.
put a splitter in both places, where your internet is and where your phone is. also the internet should be on the primary line, and the phone on the parellel or secondary line, thats what the mtnl guy told me.
Old 11th October 2009, 02:58   #60

BAABOING!!! thats the sound of everything Going Bouncer. Anyways, Now that I have all the time in the world to spare..(yeah right!!!!) I am getting an all new line installed. I have had just about enough of this nonsense!!

EDIT:

Nivyah

This looks Interesting!!!

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 11th October 2009 at 03:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks