Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 15:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
While I am at it, I also saw this new free online shared drive from Microsoft called SkyDrive. Looks interesting.

Explore Windows Live SkyDrive

Skydrive has been around for at least a few months.

Also there are hacks available already to remove the time limitation on this beta W7.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

I have just installed this on an old computer (AMD Sempron 3200, 2 gig ram, onboard graphics) and I was quite surprised at the quick installation and how it found and installed the correct drivers for all my attached devices.

The onboard vga share was initially set to 128MB but it works better with it set to 256MB.

It looks pretty much similar to Vista to me, then again I only ever used Vista half a dozen times on my laptop before I installed XP Pro over it.

I have found one little flaw with it, I installed Firefox and then tried loading IE. IE came up with the usual dialogue box about setting it as my default browser etc and then it would not let me make any choices and got stuck. Quick end task got rid of that problem.

Last edited by bigman : 13th January 2009 at 18:08.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
Guys, Whats the minimum requirement for Windows 7???

Ran it in a vmware player with 512 MB RAM and 8 GB HDD. It works fine so far. But have not added any App yet.
Old 13th January 2009, 18:49   #19
BHPian

Windows Tutorials, Tweaks, Tips-n-Tricks, Software, Themes, Skins, Wallpapers & More features many tips such as removing the desktop watermark, removing the send feedback link. Do check it out guys.
Old 19th January 2009, 09:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am not able to run the windows update in 7. Am getting the message that it is not able to connect to the update server.

Anyone else facing this issue?

PS: I am connected to the internet.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:07   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

MS Servers may be down, I tried running an XP update over the weekend. Same problem.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:24   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Great so windows 7 is on the way...vista sucks big time and now what ,they want to make things better? say like from 4GB ram I need to go to 8GB? they dont have that spec on laps yet do they LOL!
Old 19th January 2009, 18:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

W7 is surprisingly very good. Installed it on a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop (1.83Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD, etc). Have to say, I'm very very impressed. Picked up all my hardware, and running as fast as XP, with the added eye-candy! And where Vista felt forced down my throat somehow, W7 is running beautifully.
Old 19th January 2009, 19:56   #24
Senior - BHPian

Yup, seems like it was the server issue itself. The updates are happening as of now.
Old 24th February 2009, 09:53   #25
BHPian

Windows 7 Thread

I am opening this thread to discuss more about Windows 7. Yes, it is still in Beta, but RC1 is just a few months away & I am already liking it in my VMware setup. Next step is to put it on my workstation alongwith Vista x64 & switch between them from time to time to check on features & compatibility & performance.

As for the first impression, I can say that with a simple 1 GB setup, you can expect it to be faster than Vista. I don't have Windows 7 Aero feature yet in my VMware but expect it to come in play when I install it on my physical box.

So, start writing! Eager to see people who are already transitioning to Windows 7 or waiting to see the results to make the move!
Old 24th February 2009, 10:00   #26
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that only computers with Windows Vista can download and use it. No option for Windows XP?.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:06   #27
BHPian

It is a beta release and right now off the web for new downloads. But you can still get it through torrents or if any friends has a copy, the get a copy. As of now, it is a license unrestricted piece of software and for the junta to see and report raw edges. So go and see it. I am running it in VMware (x64 edition) with 1 GB of memory and it is as smooth as WinXP. Response time is fantastic & there are no Admin Password pop-ups like in Vista. Most of the gadgets made for Vista are still available & there are some new Windows 7 only gadgets as well. Plus, you get the Windows 7 ultimate edition to play with for free for upto a year. Isn't that really cool!
Old 24th February 2009, 10:08   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Is it true that only computers with Windows Vista can download and use it. No option for Windows XP?.
Guess anyone can download the beta version from M$ site and install. Not 100% sure since by bro-in-law downloaded it from the US and brought it on a DVD. He was on Vaio original Vista before.

I have Windows 7 on my Laptop. Did a clean install over my Windows XP. Its some hazaar times better than Vista. There are still those security pop-ups time and again (User account control in a subdued version). But overall I'd rate it 8/10
Old 11th May 2009, 16:52   #29
Senior - BHPian

Bump.
I intend to try RC this week. Hope all goes well.
Old 12th May 2009, 01:08   #30
BHPian

I am using RC1.

All did go well during the install, which took under 30 mins.

It's a dream when it comes to responsiveness, and gaming performance is miles better than that in vista, almost as good as xp

Two thumbs up !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks