Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 14:42   #46
BHPian

Did you know about the XP MODE?

The new thing for all those XP Compatibility scared people is that you get an XP Fully licensed VM for use in Windows 7 free of cost. So there is something Free for who are worried about MS and Free.

Now what this let you do is install all those apps which worked fine in XP but not in Vista or Windows 7, to be installed under this VM which MS is providing. You can access those applications just like your normal applications and Win7 will open them tranparently in XP Mode in XP VM. This is a standard Virtual PC VHD based VM and should work well for those where Application compatibility is very important. This should also help corporations go ahead with Windows 7 integration along with Windows 2008 R2 which is again a superb thing coming in with lots of exciting pieces.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:44   #47
BHPian

And some words from MS TechNet Blogs and Others.

More on Windows 7 XP Mode.

=================================

XP Mode consists of the Virtual PC-based virtual environment and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). It will be made available, for free, to users of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions via a download from the Microsoft web site. (That is, it will not be included in the box with Windows 7). XPM works much like today's Virtual PC products, but with one important exception: As with the enterprise-based MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization) product, XPM does not require you to run the virtual environment as a separate Windows desktop. Instead, as you install applications inside the virtual XP environment, they are published to the host (Windows 7) OS as well. (With shortcuts placed in the Start Menu.) That way, users can run Windows XP-based applications (like IE 6) alongside Windows 7 applications under a single desktop.

One interesting addition for VirtualPC under Windows 7 is the ability to control interaction between the parent and child host and USB devices. Anyone who has used virtual technology of any kind has struggled with using USB key drives, USB hard drives, etc. With this release you can select which running OS (VM) has control over the USB device, and change these allocations on the fly. Additionally, you are able to see the hard drives attached to the parent from within the VM, and just interact with them directly.

Source - Microsoft TechNet Ireland Blog : Windows 7 Release Candidate and Windows XP Mode

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now the Catch -

This new wrinkle was the discovery that Windows 7's recently announced XP Mode would only work on processors that supported either Intel's VT or AMD's AMD-V. The vast majority of AMD's lineup, except for Sempron, has AMD-V and will work, but the Intel situation is much more complicated, and in some ways, worse.

Source - Microsoft, Intel goof up Windows 7's "XP Mode" - Ars Technica

-------------------------------------------------------------

All in one - Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7 - SuperSite Blog
Old 13th May 2009, 16:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Got that for my Win 7. Its popping too much notifications
How do I fix it?
No idea..But I heard Kaspersky is the the lightest (resource consumption wise) AV available. I have W7 on my spare laptop which I rarely use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Bugged by Vista, I switched to Mac - There is no turning back!
Switched over to Hacintosh OSX on my main laptop and never looked back.. Have a dual boot provision in case I need Vista
Old 14th May 2009, 18:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

XP Mode is really good, though takes up space for the VHD, mind ya. The live VHD is under the user's profile - and I actually didn't see it until the diskspace hit me (I have as little as enough for the OS, with the rest in the secondary drive - for my files and stuff). And ya VT is a must - I had it disabled in BIOS, but the setup asked me to go back and enable it.

As for antivirus, I have tried McAfee (Enterprise / Small Business / Home), Kaspersky and Panda - and have settled with Avast!

A screenshot...
Windows 7 anyone?-untitled.jpg
Old 15th May 2009, 19:16   #50
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Installed - C2D E8400 3Ghz - 4Gb RAM - 1Tb HDD

Timed it - 16mins.

Its the 24th minute and I'm posting this.

Don't really have too much time to explore it, but so far its been very good.

Fast! - well, I haven't used Vista on this PC so can't compare, but its as fast as Win2k8, except that the login is even faster.

My computers score comes to only 3.7 :(

Last edited by SLK : 15th May 2009 at 19:28.
Old 15th May 2009, 19:47   #51
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, 20mins out - can't edit

On the resource front, if that sidebar gadget is anything to go by, its taking 21-22% of my memory on fresh boot. That is ironically same as Win2k8.
Old 15th May 2009, 19:50   #52
Senior - BHPian

Any Bangy guys have the RC DVD? I am trying to download last 2 days and its still going on :( Stupid power cut. Cant help.
Old 16th May 2009, 18:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Successfully downloaded and burned the DVD. But unfortunately, setup fails. It fails when restarting and registering, It just says setup failed to start a service and restart will help. Restart and again same mesg again and again :(

I have the Toshiba Dynabook TX/67C laptop. And have Vista working fine, ofcourse slow. Any help?
Old 16th May 2009, 19:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

^^^^

Create a 512 MB vm and install on that image. If it installs fine that will rule out issues with corrupt downloads.
Old 16th May 2009, 22:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
^^^^

If it installs fine that will rule out issues with corrupt downloads.
MD5 Hash verification wont tell whether its corrupted or not?
Old 16th May 2009, 23:07   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
^^^^

Create a 512 MB vm and install on that image. If it installs fine that will rule out issues with corrupt downloads.
Ok, just completed the Windows 7 install on the VM. It works all fine.

Not sure why it fails in my Toshiba Laptop. I downloaded the upgrade advisor to check for compatibility. Unfortunately, the windows 7 has failed in such a way that I cannot revert back to original Vista also. When I try to boot through Vista, the same Windows 7 is starting

I see some logs inside the windows\panther folders. But could not get any good info.
Old 17th May 2009, 02:29   #57
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Not sure why it fails in my Toshiba Laptop. I downloaded the upgrade advisor to check for compatibility. Unfortunately, the windows 7 has failed in such a way that I cannot revert back to original Vista also. When I try to boot through Vista, the same Windows 7 is starting
Oh! you upgraded? Not a very good idea to upgrade with an RC is it?

If your vista was an OEM version, that could be a problem at times. Install it fresh, it'll work [i think!]
Old 17th May 2009, 07:31   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Oh! you upgraded? Not a very good idea to upgrade with an RC is it?

If your vista was an OEM version, that could be a problem at times. Install it fresh, it'll work [i think!]
Ya. Second attempt was do a new install. But that also fails during the 2nd portion of setup.

Btw, I had dual boot before and hence was able to restore the moved files of vista from windows.old folder.

I ran the upgrade advisor and it says all device are compatible. Not sure why it fails during the 2nd stage
Old 17th May 2009, 12:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
MD5 Hash verification wont tell whether its corrupted or not?
Yaa missed that simple check. So it worked for him in a vm.

I think giving a call to MS might do the trick here.

Given the fact that they are planning to do the RTM in Oct 2009, they might be willing to investigate this particular case.

Or they might come back with reply that this Laptop has known compatibility issues and no use wasting time.
Old 17th May 2009, 15:14   #60
BHPian

Installed Windows 7 on my netbook - Acer Aspire One (1.6Ghz Atom processor, 1GB RAM, 160 GB HDD). And, to my amazement, it is working fantastically well.

I generally use this netbook just for browsing, listening to music, and a little bit of word processing. And I'm enjoying the windows 7 experience. This is much better than vista or XP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks