Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

DNS Error with Facebook!?!

Since the morning today, I get this error every time I try to load Facebook on the browser.

Network Error (dns_server_failure)
Your request could not be processed because an error occurred contacting the DNS server.
The DNS server may be temporarily unavailable, or there could be a network problem.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

Any idea what might be wrong?
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Open Network Connections.
Goto the properties in the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Verify if the DNS server is setup correctly.

Contact sys admin to get the correct values.
or
Check someone sitting beside you for whom its working.

Once my Hathway Cable Broadband guys changed the values and I had to call them up and find it.
The texh support there had no idea why my internet was not working.
I asked them for what value I should expect to see and found them different from what I had.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

I am on facebook since morning no such error my end. Try changing the DNS servers to:

OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Dude, then he would have a problem in accessing any site... If other sites are working, its likely that the values entered are correct!

You could try using Open DNS...
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dude, then he would have a problem in accessing any site... If other sites are working, its likely that the values entered are correct!
Nu Uh. Some times specific sites have errors with DNS. I remember this correctly. 2 - 3 months back on office PC (not using open DNS on it) i tried opening hotmail but it wont open whereas on my laptop it was working perfectly. Changed the DNS on it and voila! it worked.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

Oiy,

Maybe you should take this advice after all!! : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...nd-output.html

(The part in post #3)

I have MTNL, and used to get a page load error 1 in about 8-10 times, which immediate refreshing would solve.

I changed the DNS to open DNS and have not had that problem since.

Ping for opendns servers is ~240ms whereas MTNL DNS is ~10ms, but this doesnt make a huge difference as it only does this once when accessing a site.

Alternatively, you could just wait and the DNS server will sort itself out (12-48hrs). Or make the most of it and do something productive instead of poking irags on FB all the time!

cya
R
Old 6th February 2009, 19:46   #7
Team-BHP Support

Change your primary DNS to 4.2.2.2 and it should be fine.
Old 10th February 2009, 14:03   #8
BHPian

These issues are generally temporary in nature and changing the DNS settings take care of it. Hence if this is resolved, then we are good to close the thread.
Old 3rd June 2009, 05:45   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well I don't exactly have a DNS error, but I am not able to upload any photos on Facebook and each time I try I get an 'Server Error'
I have updated the Java to the latest version and also cleared all the Java Cache files on my system, as recommended in their help section. Before this I never had a problem.
Cant anyone recommend any solution???
Old 3rd June 2009, 06:28   #10
BHPian

B&T, I will say, take a break from Facebook for a couple of days. Most likely, MTNL node that you are connecting to, has got some issues, probably due to some change happening there. Call them, make a ticket and sit back. They will sort out the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Well I don't exactly have a DNS error, but I am not able to upload any photos on Facebook and each time I try I get an 'Server Error'
I have updated the Java to the latest version and also cleared all the Java Cache files on my system, as recommended in their help section. Before this I never had a problem.
Cant anyone recommend any solution???
Which browser, Harjeev. Does it work fine from ANY browser or you can lock it down to one specific browser? Also, I really doubt they will be using Java to upload the photos.
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:42   #11
BHPian

Do not play with you network settings as the problem is with Facebook servers and not individual network settings. Facebook did acknowledge about the problem and they are working to resolve the same at the earliest.
Old 3rd June 2009, 09:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Which browser, Harjeev. Does it work fine from ANY browser or you can lock it down to one specific browser? Also, I really doubt they will be using Java to upload the photos.
I am using Firefox and even tried it with IE7. Its the same with both the browsers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Do not play with you network settings as the problem is with Facebook servers and not individual network settings. Facebook did acknowledge about the problem and they are working to resolve the same at the earliest.
I know many users are facing the issue, (got to know from their help section), however my friends and many of them in NCR are able to upload the pictures

Lets hope that the issue is at facebook's end...
Old 3rd June 2009, 09:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys
I was finally able to upload the pictures using a different internet connection. We use Tata broadband in our office and was not able to upload pictures using that. So today just as a hunch I tried using Bharti Airtel and was able to upload in one go.
Thanks for the help guys
Old 3rd June 2009, 11:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Do not play with you network settings
specially if you are doing it on your laptop. if you are used to working on a LAN at work and change the settings, it may fail on LAN specific sites when you go there.
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:01   #15
nitin.dangayach

try pinging facebook from the command prompt. note the IP address of the website and try opening the website directly from the IP address. you wont need the DNS in that case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks