Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 18:03   #46
BANNED

What is recording time for 30 GB?

Found this with no warrenty i guess.

eBay India: SONY DCR SR47E 60GB HDD HANDYCAM SR47 HDD + WARANTY (item 400089418369 end time 14-Dec-2009 23:25:00 IST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
I have a year old Sony HDR SR 10E. It has a 30gb HDD and is 1080i capable. Picture quality is great and a treat to watch on a high def TV. The bundled software has an option to burn the videos to DVD, but I have saved them on a external HDD and watch through WDTV media player. Camera is extremely easy to operate and very light weight.

There are newer models with flash memory instead of HDD. There is really not much difference in picture quality. With HDD I have so far never even thought about things like space constraint.

I have a a canon EOS 1000D and personally I feel you must use the the equipment for what it is meant to be. For example, Sony is capable of taking 5MP still pictures, but in quality they are nowhere close to still pictures taken by the canon.

Last edited by idea1979 : 8th December 2009 at 18:15.
Old 8th December 2009, 20:22   #47
BHPian

I have not calculated the recording time, but if this is a clue, I have written 4 dvd worth data so far and disk still has capacity to record another 180mins of video. The model you searched is not a HD model. The difference between a regular handycam and HD one is tremendous.
Old 8th December 2009, 21:44   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

more over the videocameras are not as frequenty used as good quality still cameras. more oevr the video camera ower can not be part of the action as he would be busy shooting.

i am telling you from my personal experience. I bought a Sony Handycam DCR19/20 @ 35K in 2002 when my daughter was born, but the camera has not been used since last 3-4 years. We mostly use the Sony Sill camera, but now started feeling the need for DSLR.
I agree, most of my videos are now shot with pocket cam (nikon L6). quick to grab, shoot and even quicker to transfer and share. for HD recording I would suggest something like canon SX20IS or Pana FZ35 with a 16GB card.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:51   #49
BHPian

Guys, I am looking to buy a handycam. I see that the last post on this thread was posted way back in Dec 2009. What's the scene now? Which one is better? I am planning to get one from US through a friend of mine since Christmas season is approaching fast and I hope there will be lots of discount sales that may get me a great handycam.
Old 18th October 2010, 15:53   #50
Team-BHP Support

The world is bifurcated. Camera that shoots video and vice versa (Camcorders that take still) What is your need?
Old 18th October 2010, 16:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The world is bifurcated. Camera that shoots video and vice versa (Camcorders that take still) What is your need?
Thanks for the response ampere! I already own a DSLR and hence I will be happy just to buy a great handycam even if its incapable of taking still pictures!
Old 18th October 2010, 18:58   #52
BHPian

The software that comes with Sony HDD softwares to write DVDs does not fill the entire 4.7GB of the DVD.
I recently tried to write a DVD using an external DVD writer and used the Sony DVD writing software that came with the Handycam. But when I selected the content from the HDD of the Handycam, on the screen it showed as 4.7GB. After writing the total size shown in the DVD is 2.5GB.
This same thing happened last time also.

Is there any other 3rd party DVD writing tool that I can use, that supports Dolby also?
Old 18th October 2010, 19:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Thanks for the response ampere! I already own a DSLR and hence I will be happy just to buy a great handycam even if its incapable of taking still pictures!
I am exactly in the same boat as you, whitesquall.

Keenly awaiting responses.
Old 18th October 2010, 19:10   #54
Team-BHP Support

I have been using the Sony SR11 for the last 2 years and am very satisfied.
Records in Full HD and 5.1 Audio.
Takes good stills as well (I think 10MP or 8).
In fact I used to take stills from my cam corder before I bought a DSLR.

Paid about 1000$ for the same. Sony must have next generation versions by now.

Last edited by ampere : 18th October 2010 at 19:24.
Old 19th October 2010, 15:30   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am exactly in the same boat as you, whitesquall.

Keenly awaiting responses.
Hi amitoj,

I am contemplating one of the "JVC Everio GZ-HDXXXX" series handycams. What are your thoughts?
Old 20th October 2010, 16:00   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hi amitoj,

I am contemplating one of the "JVC Everio GZ-HDXXXX" series handycams. What are your thoughts?
No idea man. I am yet to start my hunt. All i know is that i want a camera so far
It will be good if it records in HD, has a huge built in memory, doesnt wiegh much etc etc
But the one you have listed seems to have it all. How much does it cost?
Old 20th October 2010, 16:58   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
No idea man. I am yet to start my hunt. All i know is that i want a camera so far
It will be good if it records in HD, has a huge built in memory, doesnt wiegh much etc etc
But the one you have listed seems to have it all. How much does it cost?
It costs about USD 600. Seems full of latest desired features. I shortlisted this product after spending lot of time on the net. I am not sure about the A.S.S. for it in India though. Planning to buy it at the time of Thanksgiving/Christmas if I can get a good deal.
Old 21st October 2010, 09:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

I recently got this model from Reliance. I am very happy with the size and ease of use. The videos are superb and it eliminates shake very well. The stills are not good at all in low light. Overall, I would recommend it. Please note that it comes with an additional 16 GB free card, so overall 32 GB memory.

HDR-CX150E : Flash / Memory Stick : Handycam Video Camera : Sony India

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st October 2010 at 09:46.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I recently got this model from Reliance. I am very happy with the size and ease of use. The videos are superb and it eliminates shake very well. The stills are not good at all in low light. Overall, I would recommend it. Please note that it comes with an additional 16 GB free card, so overall 32 GB memory.

HDR-CX150E : Flash / Memory Stick : Handycam Video Camera : Sony India
Why buy a flash memory handycam @ 30K INR when you can get a 120GB hard drive HD handycam for the same price? I am confused here. . .
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:17   #60
BHPian

Update here. After lot of deliberation, I purchased "Kodak Zi8" pocket video recorder at Rs. 8900 via ebay (some of you may ask why not "Zi10"? but, the decision was a conscious one). I know, I wanted a hard disk based high definition camcorder but, looking at the features of this product and reading the feedback about this product convinced me to buy it!

Hard disk based camcorder has to wait till a new exciting technology comes into the market with equally tempting pricing !

Last edited by whitesquall : 2nd November 2010 at 15:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks