Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2009, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Any Sat-Sub speaker setups for less than 15k?

I have a 4 or 5 year old yamaha RX -V350 AV receiver. It's Power Output is RMS (8Ω, 20- 20kHz) 5x90w. It's sparingly used and in mint working condition.

I have decided to assemble a small bedroom home theater (5.1)/stereo system around it.

My wife wants movies and I want music. Looking at a budget of 15k (MAX) for a speaker set up and wiring.

Its a small room (10*12). The missus wont allow tower speakers or the sub from the living room as she thinks they look ghastly and would be an eye sore in her near perfect abode. I am in no mood to achieve the impossible by convincing her . and have resigned to the fact that they will have to be small,cute and nearly invisible yet clearly audible.

Any sub-sat speaker package recommendations? Have a pioneer dvd player that's still working great. so just need speakers to complete the set up that will include the dvd player, a flat screen tv and a world space receiver.

Thanks guys.
Old 9th June 2009, 00:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Let me tell you at the price point you looking at sourcing a quality 5.1 system is not possible. Towers are out off the question for sure.. I suggest you re adjust your budget.If not , then take a look at some of the home theater systems from sony. I am not a fan of sony but they should suit your needs.Have a look at onkyo also.Seperate speakers are available. I personally feel you should leave the 5.1 out. Go in for a good 2.1 setup.Its a small room.2.1 should suffice.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:48   #3
Team-BHP Support

Even the 'local stuff' from Pandam, Telome, Norge, etc.. will cost you 35-40K for 5 speakers and an active sub. JBL (Control) or KEF (3005) 75-90K.
Old 9th June 2009, 12:06   #4
BHPian

Thanks Bigron and Navin.

I don't even mind a decent 2.1 set up. Can't really stretch the budget as I will be adding a tv as well and don't really want to spend more. Am doing up the ICE on the car as well. That's one reason I can't really stretch.

Did look at a few Sony, Phillips, etc at Ezone they all come with a DVD player and built in amps. I don't have the need for them. Just decent speaker package should suffice.

Did look at JBL india's website and they have a few JBL and Infinity sat-sub packages. Wonder how much they cost?
Old 9th June 2009, 13:19   #5
Team-BHP Support

Dude your 2.1 means that the sub will have to be active. How do expect to get an active sub and 2 sats for 15K. I cant think of one. Best bet would be Pandam (Prashant Damle) but even that might be 25K at the cheapest.
Old 9th June 2009, 14:40   #6
BHPian

Sure Navin . I see what you are getting at. I did look at some entry level polk audio 5.1 setups and they are 25k, guess even onkyo's would be around that range. Guess I will have to postpone the upgrade plans and just be happy with a TV.

Off topic have you heard of an Indian brand called himatone?
Old 9th June 2009, 15:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Btw how much difference does it make between a 2.1 & 5.1 channel system for home Audio. I mean does one really need those extra 3 speakers provided its not a huge room.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:52   #8
BHPian

True Techno. 2.1 should be more than adequate.
Old 10th June 2009, 01:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

Look at bookshelf speakers from onkyo. There's a killer 2.1 speaker system from logitech z2300. Its thx certified and is under 15k. and at this price kicks the backside of any other 2.1 system including harman kardon.Its got an active sub.I have it connected with my x-fi soundcard and it performs brilliantly.if you can manage to hook this up with your amp ,it ll more then satisfy you.You could also look at the panasonic home audio series.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

Also there is an Indian brand Norge Audio. You could look at their bookshelves.Infact , i think you could buy 2 pair of norge book shelves in your budget and you will be more then satisfied with the purchase. you could use the set up as 2 front and 2 rear.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

try the altec lansing MX 5021 - costs about 7k - its a pc 2.1 speaker. they sound kinda good

alternately, as navin said, try out the indian folks - sonodyne, lithos etc
Old 10th June 2009, 11:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

One more thing: you can kiss your thoughts of enjoying great music goodbye with small puny satellites. As far as I know females, your wife will not allow you the luxury of having any satellites bigger than your palms.

15K budget - you could've set up a home theater, but that would've been PC based with soundcard and 5.1 speaker set.

Since you have the receiver, all you require is a speaker set. Small speakers preferably.
Check out Wharfedale 9.1s (they are pretty small, sound decently large, and priced around 12K a pair, and would kick any speaker's arse within its price point) But remember they are around a foot tall, check with your missus about the dimensions.

there are some Norge Millenium bookshelves for around 8K a pair (so you can group 4 speakers) - but then availability in Bangalore is a slim possibility.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to add. If you are using Wharfs for music, you won't really feel the need for a sub woofer, unless you like a boomy bass at loud volumes. Wharf 9.2 are also there. Slightly bigger, slightly better and balanced bass, and slightly costlier (15-16K a pair)

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th June 2009 at 11:24.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

HOw much do the Tall speakers(dont know what are they called, tower?) cost?

The ones which are around 3-4 feet tall.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:40   #14
Senior - BHPian

floor speakers anywhere from 7-8k for indian/chinese starting range

Also look at Acoustic Research bookshelves they are good, priced well too.

Else go in for HTIB like philips,sony,lg etc come with amp and dvd player etc. starting from 11k. They will be 5.1 but sound is an individual perception, I know people who love it and some who would not even topuch it. Then you can sell your reciever.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

technocrat: the towers can cost anything from 12k a pair upto frankly theres no upper limit.You get RHB Sound towers for 700k a pair. Other mainstream ultra high end brands are B&O , Mark Levinson,Dali , FOCAL grande etc .You also have super exclusive super high end brands and frankly you need to own a small planet to own anyone of their products like goldmund , von schweikert audio, kharma international , tidal to name a few.Products may go upto 3500k or even more.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks