Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 16:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I switched from 384 kbps unlimited to Turbo 1299 plan. My download speeds have really increased. In day time, I get anywhere around 100 kbps and in the night I get around 200 kbps.

It takes 2-3 working days for the plan to be activated. Check your connection speed on speedtest.net.
My plan got activated on saturday.
Day time am getting 50-60 kbps and night it was 100kbps download speed.
However yesterday at night it was just giving 20kbps.
Any idea why?
Old 27th July 2009, 16:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
My plan got activated on saturday.
Day time am getting 50-60 kbps and night it was 100kbps download speed.
However yesterday at night it was just giving 20kbps.
Any idea why?
How are you checking the speeds?
I hope you are not basing it on torrents which are notorious for their throughput.

I'm on Airtel Speed 1199 plan (2Mbps, 15GB limited) and my speeds are truly 256KBPS (2 Mbps) or slightly more when downloading from Rapidshare. My results with Speedtest.net are not that consistent. In my opinion, Microsoft or Akamai or Rapidshare (premium) servers gives the best speeds.

To avoid dubious pro-rating policies by Airtel, i'm waiting till my next billing cycle to make my switch to Turbo 1299 plan (100GB FUP Limit) being discussed here.
Old 27th July 2009, 16:52   #48
Team-BHP Support

Just placed my request to convert to the Turbo 1299 plan from a current 256kbps unlimited plan !!

Lets see how fast torrent gets, otherwise not much benefit for me !!
Old 27th July 2009, 16:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
How are you checking the speeds?
I hope you are not basing it on torrents which are notorious for their throughput.

I'm on Airtel Speed 1199 plan (2Mbps, 15GB limited) and my speeds are truly 256KBPS (2 Mbps) or slightly more when downloading from Rapidshare. My results with Speedtest.net are not that consistent. In my opinion, Microsoft or Akamai or Rapidshare (premium) servers gives the best speeds.

To avoid dubious pro-rating policies by Airtel, i'm waiting till my next billing cycle to make my switch to Turbo 1299 plan (100GB FUP Limit) being discussed here.
Well on Speedtest.net speed is showing fine.
i was referring to torrents only.

Also i confirmed 3 times with whoever i talked to and i was informed 100gb FUP is not applicable on NCR and you can download as much as you want to
Old 27th July 2009, 16:58   #50
Team-BHP Support

Me too confirmed the same, but given the average intelligence of the airtel helpline, I would not bet on it. Did not bother since 100GB is enough for me
Old 27th July 2009, 17:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Lets see how fast torrent gets, otherwise not much benefit for me !!
Torrents could be SLOW even on a high speed line. I've often seen torrents crawling below 100Kbps speeds on my 16Mbps line while I was abroad. Torrent speeds largely depend on the contributing swarm which is inconsistent at best.

Get a rapidshare premium account if you are serious about downloading. Trust me, its worth every penny. I've been using one for the past 5+ years and will never go back to using torrents.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 27th July 2009 at 17:04.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:10   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Me too confirmed the same, but given the average intelligence of the airtel helpline, I would not bet on it.

Most of the Airtel "phone monkeys" dont even know what FUP is. To be sure, I've emailed Airtel on the FUP limit and got the response back from Airtel that the 100GB limit is very much there beyond which the speeds halves. I've posted the plan snapshots I've received from Airtel a few pages back.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:15   #53
Team-BHP Support

Satya Vachan.

Two minutes back, I got a confirmation call and upon questioning they admitted to FUP of 100gb applicable to the daytime tariffs. Still not sure whether its only the daytime speeds that will get affected or night speeds also !!
Old 27th July 2009, 17:19   #54
BHPian

It was not clear to me either. IIRC, its only the night time speed (1Mbps) which will be halved beyond 100GB.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:24   #55
Team-BHP Support

And they have told me day time speeds will be halved
Old 27th July 2009, 18:12   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Torrents could be SLOW even on a high speed line. I've often seen torrents crawling below 100Kbps speeds on my 16Mbps line while I was abroad.

Get a rapidshare premium account if you are serious about downloading. Trust me, its worth every penny. I've been using one for the past 5+ years and will never go back to using torrents.
How much a rapidshare account cost and what are the benefits?

Quote:
Satya Vachan.

Two minutes back, I got a confirmation call and upon questioning they admitted to FUP of 100gb applicable to the daytime tariffs. Still not sure whether its only the daytime speeds that will get affected or night speeds also !!
Quote:
It was not clear to me either. IIRC, its only the night time speed (1Mbps) which will be halved beyond 100GB.
Quote:
Airtel at its best as usual.
Though 100gb is fine for me still i will escalate this just for pure fun if my speed is reduced
Old 27th July 2009, 18:21   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
How much a rapidshare account cost and what are the benefits?
Please visit RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting to see various plans and rates.

With Rapidshare, the download speeds are only limited by your connection speed. It used to max my 16Mbps line easily.

There are lots of forums sharing Rapidshare(RS) links. I've always got what I wanted from RS and a handful of forums which basically share RS links.
Old 28th July 2009, 05:38   #58
BHPian

Time for a small update from me as well.

I am getting about 72 KBps with my torrents during the day. Same is the upload speed. During the night, it is around 125-150 KBps range. I guess given the speed promised with the plan, this looks like a very good data pipe.

PS: These are at my Pune residence, not in Mumbai.
Old 28th July 2009, 09:39   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Torrents could be SLOW even on a high speed line. I've often seen torrents crawling below 100Kbps speeds on my 16Mbps line while I was abroad. Torrent speeds largely depend on the contributing swarm which is inconsistent at best.
Speed of torrent depends on number of seeders available at the moment and also the amount of data you are uploading. I keep my upload ratio as always 1 (I upload data as much as I download).
Old 31st July 2009, 11:54   #60
BHPian

Quote:
I also got a call from Airtel customer care (curiously enough, it was a Noida number). The guy told me about the 1099 plan (384 kbps day, 1 mbps night) and I asked him about the 1299 plan. He then told me about that plan as well as the FUP upon my asking. According to him, and his manager (I asked this about 5 times), only the daytime speeds will get reduced beyond 100GB. The FUP limit for the 1099 plan is 75 GB.

The plan will get activated in 3 days' time, and then I'll be getting a premium rapidshare account.

I used to have an RS account when I was in France, and the speeds there were amazing (average of 1 MBps, max about 2 MBps). One movie used to take 15 odd minutes to download! Wonder when we're going to get those kinds of speeds here...<sigh>...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks