Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 08:46   #8011
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

The review of one of the most powerful droid is here : Samsung I9100 Galaxy S II review: Brightest star - GSMArena.com
Ofcourse there are many reviews on net but I trust GSMArena's review. Someone posted a link a few days back showing its price as 39k. Though I think that figure is too high I expect its price be a little over 30k.
Old 14th May 2011, 11:16   #8012
Senior - BHPian

vb-san,

You exclude the community - The hackers have created such a lovely stable GingerBread upgrade for the Defy that its not funny. Motorola's literally been shamed. Have you checked the Milestone status on XDA Developers? It does run the official CM7 which is Gingerbread IIRC.
Old 14th May 2011, 13:42   #8013
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I am using a Nokia E5 and it has a strange problem.

It always pops a message saying that memory is full. I deleted all my pictures, music, messages. Yet the problem remains. It says delete some data.

I am unable to even send a message
Old 14th May 2011, 14:27   #8014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Hello,

It always pops a message saying that memory is full. I deleted all my pictures, music, messages. Yet the problem remains. It says delete some data.

Take a backup of your cell using Nokia pc suite. Check if any firmware is available, if yes then update your cell with the new firmware if not then format your cell using the format code *#7370# the default password code is 12345. After formatting copy the backup file to your cell. Hope this should solve your problem. I to had faced this problem in my E 71, did the above procedure and it is working fine for me

Last edited by driving_smartly : 14th May 2011 at 14:31.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 14:38   #8015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Take a backup of your cell using Nokia pc suite. Check if any firmware is available, if yes then update your cell with the new firmware if not then format your cell using the format code *#7370# the default password code is 12345. After formatting copy the backup file to your cell. Hope this should solve your problem. I to had faced this problem in my E 71, did the above procedure and it is working fine for me
Would I loose contacts while formatting?

Edit- My security code is something else. 12345 and 00000 did not work

Last edited by beejay : 14th May 2011 at 14:40.
Old 15th May 2011, 01:48   #8016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Turn off the phone, remove the battery and SIM, leave them out for a good ten-fifteen minutes. Then put everything back in and turn on the phone. If your problem got solved, then fine. You would now need to kill the root cause of your issue. For that, download and install JbakTaskMan, and Xplore. These latter is a file manager that can display the hidden files in your phone memory. Use it to find out which file is taking up so much memory, and then delete it. The JbakTaskMan is a task manager app, that shows which all apps are running in your phone. If you see the list of processes, and you find something like LifeBlogDBServer.exe, kill that process immediately. Remember, this app reduces your battery backup considerably, if left running, hence exit the application once you are done. Same case with Xplore as well. Check this link for some additional info: Nokia Support Discussions - n73 indicating low memory - Nokia Support Discussions

That was Option 1. If that fails, you will have to reinstall the firmware. Back up your phone memory using Nokia PC Suite/Ovi Suite. Keep the backup file safe. Download the Nokia Software Updater from the nokia website. Make sure your charger is ready, your PC is stable, your internet connection is stable, and that you have the original Nokia USB cable to connect to the PC. Run the Nokia Software Updater, and reinstall the firmware. Follow the instructions given on screen very carefully, or else you will end up with a bricked phone (an expensive paper weight). Once you are done, this issue would be over.

YOu will have to take your phone to a Nokia Care Center to reset your security code, in case you've forgotten it. If you enter the wrong code ten times, you won't be able to use the phone.

Had you known the security code of your phone, you could've tried two more methods, one is to restore factory settings - type *#7780#, then enter the security code when prompted. The phone will restore default settings, but won't erase your data. The other one, is to soft reset your phone - type *#7370#, then enter the security code when prompted. This will erase your contacts, messages, calendar entries, etc. So, a backup is a must.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2011, 19:01   #8017
BHPian

Mobile uptime - N900

Folks,

For how long your mobiles are up and running without a reboot?
Mine is 81 days and counting... Yeah its the Linux powered N900.
24X7 online in Gtalk, FB chat and Skype. Still running without hiccups.

Will post screenshot soon
Old 15th May 2011, 20:39   #8018
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mobile uptime - N900

Is 81 days of uptime unusually high, especially for a cell phone. Though I have never bothered to check, I am sure I have clocked a few months of uptime without reboot on all my phones, and I am sure all of us have too.

In fact, my laptop running Windows 7 has had uptimes regularly more than 20days ( max I reached was 39days ), without any issue at all. And here too it was not like it was just switched on and doing nothing, rather it was working hard handling an average 20GB of LAN traffic a day. And I am not even saying that my laptop was doing anything out of the ordinary. I have seen uptimes of a few months on many computers.
Old 15th May 2011, 21:54   #8019
Senior - BHPian

Can't remember the last time I rebooted my iPhone. Too long back. Wait, I think it was the first time I activated EDGE a few months back.

My android (Optimus P500) gave a similar performance too, though I remember restarting it a few times when it overheated. I found that easier than fiddling with a task killer app.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:47   #8020
BHPian

Well, i am beginning to feel that 81 days is not that high for mobile uptime :(

I use a Symbian also which requires a restart every 3 days. Earlier I had a jailbroken iphone first generation which was stable, but it didn't support any multitasking.

In between i had a BB Curve which was very stable without any third party Instant Messaging applications.

I felt this 81 days uptime is high because its running on custom kernel and overclocked to 1ghz (out-of-the-box clock speed is 600mhz). The usage is on the higher side (permanently online in 3 IMs, medium usage for web browsing, regular use of FM transmitter while in the car, etc...)
Attached Images

Old 16th May 2011, 13:30   #8021
Senior - BHPian

How do you do all that on the pathetic battery of the N900. When I overclocked to 1Ghz battery life took a fall, and thus I am back to 600Mhz. Even now staying online on 2IM accounts and light browsing on a 3G networks leaves me with running out of battery in about 14-15hours.

How many times do you charge, or do you use a power kit??
Old 16th May 2011, 16:03   #8022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
How do you do all that on the pathetic battery of the N900. When I overclocked to 1Ghz battery life took a fall, and thus I am back to 600Mhz. Even now staying online on 2IM accounts and light browsing on a 3G networks leaves me with running out of battery in about 14-15hours.

How many times do you charge, or do you use a power kit??
I recharge once per day before i sleep. To save power i keep the mobile in GSM mode not 3G. Only if i need to browse, i switch to 3G. Also i keep the Wifi switched off unless i am at home, but this doesn't seem to affect much battery.

In my experience the custom kernel is more power friendly than the default one.

To this day the battery didn't fail on me. Many a time it will be bare red icon (less than 10%) when i reach home.

This is the default behavior with all smart phones, my friend's iphone 4 just manages to last a full day if connected in 3G networks. That's a locked, unjailbroken iphone. No custom firmwares or unlocks.

Last edited by krsh77 : 16th May 2011 at 16:05.
Old 17th May 2011, 08:03   #8023
BHPian

Guys anyone using 3G service ? In Mumbai ?
Old 18th May 2011, 02:08   #8024
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,

Hi Beejay,

Have you checked if you are using the phone memory or the memory card? This usually happens if you are using the phone memory and it tends to get full.
Old 20th May 2011, 00:13   #8025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I recently switched over to a Windows Phone 7 (HTC HD7), and quite happy with the UI and features. Infact I moved from Android to WP7.
Regarding iPhone, I never felt that lack of memory card is a limitation, and the camera in iPhone 4 is quite awesome.
Oh, so maybe the iPhone camera is improved over the generations. Still, iPhone is kinda expensive for me. As for WP7, will have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I here that Androids from Samsung and HTC are pretty good, but don’t have any personal experience with those.
Now what to avoid – I can answer this. Stay away from Motorola Milestone XT / Droid.
Thanks , vb-san. I'm not too sure about reviews, because the phone I have largely researched is the N8, and I found both kinds - the very happy ones and the very frustrated ones, some who switched from Android/iPhone , and some who switched to ! Confusing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Symbian is towards its end of life.
Check out the latest Android phones from Sony Ericsson - Arc and Neo. They are awesome.
Rohan
I'm not particularly concered about the EOLed OS, as long as it serves me well for next 3-5 years. I am financially better off now than 5 years ago, but I wouldn't like a product failing on me and forcing an upgrade where I didn't plan it. I will look out for the Neo and Arc, spend some time few days ago looking up Android OS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
6630 is one awesome phone. Do not give it away, even if you change to a new phone, you can keep it as a backup. The recent phones do not have the sturdy built of those oldies.
Thanks! I fully intend to keep it as backup, till it dies out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
You get everything in Android except the features in bold. Battery life as such is poor, compared to non-Android phones, especially Nokia phones. You will have to tweak the phone in ways that will void the warranty on it. Be it an Android phone or N8, you can always go for a third party browser instead of the default one if you are not satisfied. I do feel that the default browser loaded in N8 and other S60 devices lacks many features provided by others. Ovi apps is nowhere near to the myriad choices available in the Android market.

If you are looking for good battery life (as in 2+ days of backup for moderate-heavy usage), Android can be given a miss.
Don't the Androids have 1200-1500mAh batteries vs the Nokia's 1050mAh? Is it the screen that's eating up battery juice or the OS itself ? I read reviews of the N8, where the criticism of 680MHz processor was countered by the efficiency of Symbian managing fine on low hardware resources.

Moreover, I looked up Android for some questions, and some are relieving , and some are scary . Like one doesn't strictly need a Google ID to use an Android phone, but it does limit some usage, like the Market and some Google services. What got me worried about security, if you have to 'buy' some app on the Androind market ( or Ovi , for a Nokia) , wouldn't that mean putting credit card or netbanking information on the phone ? What if the phone is stolen , or hacked ? Just recently there was news about Androids being hacked. I supposed WP7 might open another can of worms ?
I reckon I could buy apps over the PC and then transfer them to the phone via USB/cable ?

Loads more of research to do. Now if I strictly avoid internet use and use the phone more as phone cum multimedia device( music, movies , games ), would the N8 make more sense ? I know, that's not what smartphones are for, but if cellphone security is an issue, I can limit online interaction to PC even if inconvenient.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks