Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 18:04   #3211
aZa
Senior - BHPian

awesome purchase ZENX! E65 is a very good phone.
Old 4th June 2008, 20:21   #3212
BANNED

Last month, I suddenly found the display of my V3c behaving strangely. Gave it to Redington and they said they needed to change some connector for Rs. 700. I said OK. They then called saying after replacing the connector, the display is fine but the phone becomes very hot. According to them, the board inside would need to be replaced, that would cost around 2000 and is not worth the cost.
Old 4th June 2008, 20:55   #3213
Senior - BHPian

never ever open v3 (i or v) personal experience

i would suggest buy a new phone
Old 4th June 2008, 21:09   #3214
Senior - BHPian

That was a very entertaining little write up. So you got married to the girl because you could call her for free

Anyway, a few observations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
My observations for CDMA are :
  1. You do not have the option of a memory upgrade, like a data card in the handset which means you have to live with the phone memory of 35MB, unlike GSM Razrs.
  2. No inbuilt Music Player. You have a Demo player which you can purchase over the network but they are limited by time.
  3. Razr wont allow you to store games indefinitely. You have to purchase them over the network for a fixed period of time, following which they expire themselves.
  4. You cannot trade your handset elsewhere, unless of course grey market.
  5. However, the Nokia handset allowed me to store games, etc
To sum it all, the initial reason why I switched to CDMAs and precisely TATAs was the value proposition, which to date has kept me with them. Dont go for CDMA if you are the one who updates his phones more than often.

Thanks everyone
What you are talking about are HANDSET features, not CDMA features. CDMA is the network, not the terminal (i.e., handset). There are CDMA handsets with all the features you talk about, but they havent been released here in India, primarily because CDMA has been GSM's poor cousin in this market (actually, in most markets) and therefore the operators in a bid to capture the lower end of the market have resorted to free phones or highly subsidized phones, which means you get phones without some of the features you take for granted on popular GSM terminals.

Again, the two operators in India primarily use SIM-less CDMA handsets, which means the handsets are locked to their networks, not the SIMs. This is why you cannot sell your handset (you still can, but that person should want an Indicom or Reliance number). There are SIM-based CDMA handsets which will allow you to switch terminals like you do with GSM phones.

However, CDMA isnt doing very well in India. Both Reliance and Tata want to get on to the GSM bandwagon. Reliance may even sell out to MTN - they havent done a great job at managing a mobilephone company, so I guess the easiest way out for them is to sell the company on the basis of the inflated numbers they keep reporting.
Old 4th June 2008, 22:39   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
That was a very entertaining little write up. So you got married to the girl because you could call her for free

Anyway, a few observations:

What you are talking about are HANDSET features, not CDMA features. CDMA is the network, not the terminal (i.e., handset). There are CDMA handsets with all the features you talk about, but they havent been released here in India, primarily because CDMA has been GSM's poor cousin in this market (actually, in most markets) and therefore the operators in a bid to capture the lower end of the market have resorted to free phones or highly subsidized phones, which means you get phones without some of the features you take for granted on popular GSM terminals.

Again, the two operators in India primarily use SIM-less CDMA handsets, which means the handsets are locked to their networks, not the SIMs. This is why you cannot sell your handset (you still can, but that person should want an Indicom or Reliance number). There are SIM-based CDMA handsets which will allow you to switch terminals like you do with GSM phones.

However, CDMA isnt doing very well in India. Both Reliance and Tata want to get on to the GSM bandwagon. Reliance may even sell out to MTN - they havent done a great job at managing a mobilephone company, so I guess the easiest way out for them is to sell the company on the basis of the inflated numbers they keep reporting.

1.They are very well available and available in the open market/ grey market.
There is a CDMA cousin of nokia 6300 with same features(as per my observation).

2. That used to be the case till sometime ago. now-a-days they too have switched to SIM (Tata came from the beginning with the T-sim if i recall correctly and reliance has gone the sim way recently).

The funny thing with reliance is that the Mobile number is not hard coded to the sim and u can get the number changed.

3. How i know all this?
I have a reliance number as my second cell and have been through SIMless to Simmed handset
Old 5th June 2008, 00:10   #3216
BHPian

new N95 or N96?

i had inquired about nokia N95 and seems they are out of stock due to introduction of nokia N95 8gb.
i also read that nokia N96 will be out in few months time and there will be decrease in price of N95 8gb.
is it worth waiting for the N96 or better going for the new N95 when the prices fall??
(btw does N96 have the glossy look like the N81,cause i don't like ending up wiping my fingerprints everyother second)
Old 5th June 2008, 00:28   #3217
Team-BHP Support

For those who want hard keypad on Touch Diamond HTC - Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer

Touch Pro its called.

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201A™ 528 MHz
Operating System Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
Memory ROM: 512 MB
RAM: 288MB
Dimensions 102 mm (L) X 51 mm (W) X 18.05 mm (T)
Weight 165 g (with battery)
Display 2.8-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with VGA resolution
Network HSDPA/WCDMA:

Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz
Up to 384 kbps up-link and 7.2 Mbps down-link speeds

Tri-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE:

Europe/Asia: 900/1800/1900 MHz

(Band frequency and data speed are operator dependent.)
Device Control TouchFLO™ 3D
Touch-sensitive navigation control
Keyboard Slide-out 5-row QWERTY keyboard
GPS GPS and A-GPS ready
Connectivity Bluetooth® 2.0 with EDR
Wi-Fi®: IEEE 802.11 b/g
HTC ExtUSB™ (11-pin mini-USB 2.0, audio jack, and TV Out* in one)
Camera

Main camera: 3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus and flash light
Second camera: VGA CMOS color camera
Audio Built-in microphone, speaker and FM radio with RDS
Ring tone supported formats:

MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, WAV, and AMR-NB
40 polyphonic and standard MIDI format 0 and 1 (SMF)/SP MIDI

Battery Rechargeable Lithium-ion or Lithium-ion polymer battery
Capacity: 1340 mAh

Talk time:

Up to 397 minutes for WCDMA
Up to 485 minutes for GSM

Standby time:

Up to 503 hours for WCDMA
Up to 406 hours for GSM

Video call time: Up to 201 minutes for WCDMA
(The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
Expansion Slot microSD™ memory card (SD 2.0 compatible)
AC Adapter Voltage range/frequency: 100 ~ 240V AC, 50/60 Hz
DC output: 5V and 1A

* HTC TV Out cable needed.
Old 5th June 2008, 01:30   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For those who want hard keypad on Touch Diamond HTC - Touch Phone, PDA Phone, Smartphone, Mobile Computer

Touch Pro its called.

Processor Qualcomm® MSM7201A™ 528 MHz
Operating System Windows Mobile® 6.1 Professional
Memory ROM: 512 MB
RAM: 288MB
Dimensions 102 mm (L) X 51 mm (W) X 18.05 mm (T)
Weight 165 g (with battery)
Display 2.8-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with VGA resolution
Network HSDPA/WCDMA:

ETC ETC ETC

* HTC TV Out cable needed.

Errr - there's some enhanced touch-screen phone coming out on the 9th of June.

What was it called again? byePhone or something like that?
Old 5th June 2008, 11:09   #3219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Errr - there's some enhanced touch-screen phone coming out on the 9th of June.

What was it called again? byePhone or something like that?

LOLz

That's the hilarious humor i ever heard of that Iphone !!

You heart my feelings , i am in love of this phone !!!I sold of my previous iphone to get hands on this one!!

We've had rumors,rumors and more rumors, but now "someone very, very close to the 3G iPhone launch" has confirmed the 3G iPhone will be released June 9th at the WWDC Keynote.

International users will have the phone within a few weeks of the US launch - not the previously rumored end of '08. Also notable, the iPhone will (at least in some countries) NOT be selling at a fixed price anymore, which means end users can get discounts based on signing contracts, adding data plans, etc. This is a good thing for those of you signing up with the Apple-sponsored carrier, but not so good news for us .

No word on how the Apple stores will be handling the fixed price vs subsidization pricing, but perhaps they'll have a set price, and AT&T will offer some sort of rebate with proof of activation. That is IF Apple carries the non-standard pricing to the States.

Those of wanting to jailbreak/unlock the 3G iPhone need not worry - it looks like the launch of it will coincide with the 2.0 firmware, which hints it will be running said firmware. And 2.0 is already jailbroken/unlocked

A 3G modem may necessitate a fix on the unlock to work, but shouldn't be a major hurdle. Mod on, good people.

via Gizmodo
Attached Images

Old 5th June 2008, 17:24   #3220
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here tried out the SE P1i ? Worth the price ? And what about the features ?
Old 5th June 2008, 23:25   #3221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Anyone here tried out the SE P1i ? Worth the price ? And what about the features ?
check the link below for a one stop spot on its features and reviews:
Sony Ericsson P1 - Full phone specifications
you could google and easily get comparative reviews between similar featured and same price ranged mobiles .
Old 6th June 2008, 02:41   #3222
BHPian

upgrade from w700i

hi. i am currently using SE w700i. before this i had a nokia 7610. now i wanna upgrade. i need a bigger screen atleast 2.4" as in case of n73. the phones that i know fall in my budget are 1.5610 2.n73 3.n73ME. i am unaware of any other phones in this price bracket or 1/1.5K+ than these phones. 5610 has an inferior loudspeaker quality as far as i know. please suggest me a nice phone preferably nokia. and preferably N series
Old 6th June 2008, 09:49   #3223
Senior - BHPian

Finally got E51

Yesterday I picked up my Nokia E51, black color from Hotspot.

Initial impressions - very fast, capable and sleek looking phone. Seems like it has a very good processor and the additional RAM is much welcomed. I am yet to install softwares on it so a detailed report will only be later.

But one thing worth mentioning is that the Software Suite CD and bundled Memory Card have a host of free and shareware applications. Something that I did not expect from Nokia and hence pleasantly surprised!

I did have difficulty in 'downgrading' from a QWERTY to a numeric keypad though!
Old 6th June 2008, 10:11   #3224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yesterday I picked up my Nokia E51, black color from Hotspot.

Initial impressions - very fast, capable and sleek looking phone. Seems like it has a very good processor and the additional RAM is much welcomed. I am yet to install softwares on it so a detailed report will only be later.

But one thing worth mentioning is that the Software Suite CD and bundled Memory Card have a host of free and shareware applications. Something that I did not expect from Nokia and hence pleasantly surprised!

I did have difficulty in 'downgrading' from a QWERTY to a numeric keypad though!

congrats man on your new phone!!

yup you are right with 369mhz processor it's awesome machine but frankly speaking all phones have a good processor to work with but the main issue arises when the user puts up a high storage memory card into the slot which is not capable of picking up !!

This is an example only
I mean to say if user is using n82 which is provided by 2gb and we put 4gb then the processor takes much more time to read all the stuf in the memory card because the limit to memory card is just 10-30mb/seconds depending which card you are using ,the best i have seen is SAN DISK 2 which has a reading capacity of 30mb/sec.
Old 6th June 2008, 10:54   #3225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
LOLz

That's the hilarious humor i ever heard of that Iphone !!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
You heart my feelings , i am in love of this phone !!!I sold of my previous iphone to get hands on this one!!
Apologies for having hurt your feelings - to each, his own! My post was a gentle parody for hypePhone users, not iPhone users.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks