Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-122.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofromcapone (Post 1344618)
I am using an AMD laptop, its a Toshiba. its a 17 inch. Problem is, it gets very heated up during charging.

That must be battery. Have you replaced your battery with aftermarket models?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay (Post 1344403)
I use HP Officejet 6500 at work. Not sure about Fax, but Print / Scan works fine with XP 64.

thanks. will see if the 6500 is availble with my supplier.

Any idea how much a lenovo 3000 N series laptop battery costs .. ??

@ sir Alec, will keep that in mind. (co-incendly watching Madagasar as I write this)

That must be battery. Have you replaced your battery with aftermarket models?
Nope. original battery

@vivekiny2k
what gets heated during charging? the CPU?

did you ensure that it's ventilated right?

I have an AMD and after tweaking some settings I always manage the temperature between 40-50 C and the fan runs quiet.

I keep it elevated say about 3 - 4 cms above the desk. to let it ventilate.
What settings did you change?

AMD's are just victim of their own superior ex-performers. ATHLONS

I use a socket 939 AMD Athlon 4000+ desktop cpu in my desktop replacement laptop. Never ever have I had a problem with heating. Also if you think intel's dont overheat, read the excerpts online where macs were used to fry eggs with c2d's in them.

1. set the power settings on portable/Laptop.
2. Keep the vents open for air supply.
3. Check if you are not running a lot of unnecessary applications.
4. Make sure you are running the cool'n'quiet app from AMD (if supported)

AMD's were best known for Athlons. So much that the turions were never able to match the name. Intel carried the torch with C2D and really excelled with the i7 processors. It took AMD the phenom II to get back in the game after 4 long years.

AMD's matched with the right chipset at similar price range can still give Intel's a run for their money.

But the fact remains that the best performers at the top are still intel when it comes to outright performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by neofromcapone (Post 1345543)
I keep it elevated say about 3 - 4 cms above the desk. to let it ventilate.
What settings did you change?

pretty much what devarshi said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by devarshi84 (Post 1346961)
1. set the power settings on portable/Laptop.
2. Keep the vents open for air supply.
3. Check if you are not running a lot of unnecessary applications.
4. Make sure you are running the cool'n'quiet app from AMD (if supported)

1. I restricted the peak power to 75%. now instead of going up to 2400 MHZ, it spikes up to around 1700 MHZ at max. I don't see any difference in performance. If it is always running at peak, there is a *ware in your system, or unnecessary programs.

2. very important. In this thread earlier I posted a pic of blanket of dust I took out from my old laptop's vents. it looked pretty clean from outside.

3. run procexp from sysinternals. update your windows regularly. sometimes pending driver updates cause hardware interrupts (from my observation, not sure why or how).

4. install cool n quiet and also a temperature monitor. I use CORETEMP which gives me temperature as well as the cycles the CPU is running at.

If it runs at below 1000 MHZ and still heats, then there is a hardware (fan/dust) problem. If it's running at high CPU and heats, it's a software problem (unnecessary processes).

I need to buy a laptap for my sister who has just joined MBA. The usage will be standard student one but netbook is not an option here. Brands considered are Dell & Acer & HP, HCL or Lenovo (Post IBM sellout, they are just not the same) are not an option. Please suggest something within 30-35K max.

Also which Dell is better, Inspiron or Latitude or Studio?

PS: I will prefer a brand who is willing to deduct the cost of O/S. Reason, I have a copy of Vista and XP which I can use on that & will prefer to give her a Win7 desktop experience. So don't want to spend on unnecessary stuff.

Rarely do any mainstream brands provide laptops without OS in India. you Can try Acer or HCL with linux which are xp and vista compatible.

but otherwise Dell are pretty good.

Some laptops come with Free DOS, you can put Vista on it . Lenovo has some models with DOS (Basically no OS).

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 1348005)
I need to buy a laptap for my sister who has just joined MBA. The usage will be standard student one but netbook is not an option here. Brands considered are Dell & Acer & HP, HCL or Lenovo (Post IBM sellout, they are just not the same) are not an option. Please suggest something within 30-35K max.

Also which Dell is better, Inspiron or Latitude or Studio?

PS: I will prefer a brand who is willing to deduct the cost of O/S. Reason, I have a copy of Vista and XP which I can use on that & will prefer to give her a Win7 desktop experience. So don't want to spend on unnecessary stuff.

Studio will be a bit on the higher side(45-50K) but its best featurewise and has all the bling-bling stuff!

U can also look into Dell Vostro A840 Laptop (price around 29-30K) :D

It comes w/o OS!

studio doesn't seem to be well-endowed in terms of ports. And that leaves latitude with all the ports and wireless connectivity gizmos starts at 63k.

Can we bargain for discounts for latitudes ?

Checked out Dell's website today and the only thing I find in that budget is Vostro 860/840. One bad thing about Dell is they don't offer Laptops without O/S or with Linux. Not that I want to use one flavor of Linux but I want flexibility in what I want to pay for. I don't care for their flavor of Vista and downgrading to XP is useless as you still pay for Vista License.

I am now off to exploring Lenovo and Acer and might settle for one unless some last minute change of heart.

Please share your recent experiences on Lenovo and Acer's part RMA/Replacement/Support in Pune/Mumbai. Are they as good as Dell, or near Dell. I understand that they may not provide support on the very next day, but say if the screen has conked off, then what about the part/laptop replacement that Dell offers. This is one major criteria in selecting the right laptop.

Alright, some more research and I've identified Dell Inspiron 15 as one of the best things around in my budget. It's closest competitor is Lenovo 4152C2Q, which has almost the same feature and for marginally higher price.

Now, I have a nice gang of 15-25 people looking to buy the same. Can anyone tell me which to go for (Dell's biggest plus is on-site warranty and the institute is slightly off-city & of course, part replacement if it fails). How to negotiate with vendors for group discount? Any suggestion, Folks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by given2fly (Post 1355925)
Now, I have a nice gang of 15-25 people looking to buy the same. Can anyone tell me which to go for (Dell's biggest plus is on-site warranty and the institute is slightly off-city & of course, part replacement if it fails).

With that many pieces at one site, Dell will probably offer the best deals!

Hi,

After experiencing prompt service from Dell twice, the third time has turned to be unlucky for me.

The acknowledgement (the first of them) was received on 29/06/2009.

Nothing else has happened. I think I wasted my money by renewing the warranty for a second year.