Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-125.html)

Anybody has used or have Sony Z series notebook ? How's it ? price ?

My sister is visiting from US on coming Monday. Is it worth buying a laptop from there? Can she buy and check into her luggage? Is it allowed? Dont want any issues with duties et.all

Need a quick reply guys. TIA !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1432595)
My sister is visiting from US on coming Monday. Is it worth buying a laptop from there? Can she buy and check into her luggage? Is it allowed? Dont want any issues with duties et.all

Need a quick reply guys. TIA !

There is no duty on laptops---any number. On all other electronic items, the max allowed without customs duty is Rs 25000/-. This was the position 5 years back, and AFAIK, things have not changed.

Call me if you wanna hear an interesting thing that happened to me for carrying a camcorder on my way back from SGP.

I think one personal laptop and one as gift is allowed, But last year my friend had to bribe the customs at delhi airport for allowing him the 2nd laptop.
I think even if you bribe a little, it is worth getting the laptop from there, You get high-end configuration at very reasonable cost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordmanchau (Post 1432832)
I think even if you bribe a little, it is worth getting the laptop from there, You get high-end configuration at very reasonable cost.

You said it. I am getting this laptop tonight from US

Summary of the specs :-

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6500, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
4 GB DDR2 RAM (2 Dimm) (8 GB Maximum)
320GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA), SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with LightScribe and Double Layer Support
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1
15.6 inch Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

For full details :- Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV6-1230US 15.6-Inch Entertainment Laptop: Computer & Accessories

Sister ordered this online from Amazon and got it delivered overnight. Price when she ordered was $699-$50 Rebate : $650 ( Rs.32,500) now it is priced higher at Amazon.

Same laptop configuration is available in India for Rs.45,500

Here is a picture of the lappy. Isn't it a sweet deal?clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1435922)
You said it. I am getting this laptop tonight from US

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1
15.6 inch Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

Isn't it a sweet deal?clap:

Good Deal! Make sure you are eligible for free Win 7 upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funda2max (Post 1436166)
Good Deal! Make sure you are eligible for free Win 7 upgrade.

Thanks! I know quite a few people who work in Microsoft so that shouldn't be a problem;)

Did any of the Dell Inspiron users upgrade to the latest BIOS?

I recently got an alert from the Dell Support Center application that runs in my laptop that a new version of BIOS is available and it is recommended to upgrade to that.

Bios For Inspiron 1525
Version: A16
Fixes/Enhancements: Added support for new versions of Intel CPUs.

If any of you Dell users already tried this, please let me know if there were any glitches after upgrading.

its just ususal, i upgraded my xps three times without any issue. You will not even know the change. as these are minor updates.

My XPS just crossed one year and the warranty silently got expired. And just one month after that, now I get a error message that the battery is not charging properly and that I should replace it!

How do they do it???

Just set to ignore the message and move on!

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 1444307)
Bios For Inspiron 1525
Version: A16
Fixes/Enhancements: Added support for new versions of Intel CPUs.

I have. No problems due to BIOS upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 1444361)
My XPS just crossed one year and the warranty silently got expired. And just one month after that, now I get a error message that the battery is not charging properly and that I should replace it!

In my case, at the eigth month, the battery was no longer recognised and was changed under warranty. I renewed my warranty, but battery is not covered!

How are these Atom processor based laptops? Do they really lack a lot in performance? My usage is not very intensive, considering I have been using a Celeron based laptop for the last 4 years and it serves me well. I am talking about the DELL Mini range and such. My first priority is a small portable laptop, and this seems to fit the bill. If I were to go ultra portable in a full blow laptop, it will cost a bomb.

the performance is what you get for the price. These atom based instruments are not notebooks but netbooks. They are supposed to carry out most internet based tasked efficiently. This includes some office documents too. Dont expect to play games, multi-task adobe pages, or run HD videos a lot. Also they lack a drive.

If that's all you do, dont spend more and get one of the netbooks today.

How are the new Dell studio laptops. Am thinking of the Studio 14 or Studio 15.

Any better options or is this the best option? I believe all Dell studio lappys have free upgrade to windows 7. Who else offers this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1445599)
How are the new Dell studio laptops. Am thinking of the Studio 14 or Studio 15.

Any better options or is this the best option? I believe all Dell studio lappys have free upgrade to windows 7. Who else offers this?

My friend has purchased Studio 15 some time back, and is satisfied with it.

Studio laptops are slightly expensive compared to Inspiron, but have extra features/add-ons. I feel they are value for money.

If portability is not your biggest requirement, I would suggest Studio 15 (instead on Studio 14).

Studio 15 comes with a 512 MB graphics ATI card, WLED screen and Wifi 802.11 a/g/n.

You could also buy cool add-ons like colourful lids, backlit keyboard and fingerprint reader.

Rohan,
Bangalore