Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-127.html)

@Stefan, i picked up a HP Pavilion DV6 laptop from US for Rs.32K. The same spec laptop was available at Croma for Rs.50K+

I saw a HP Pavilion DV4 or DV5 not sure which one with an AMD processor for Rs.42K with the latest design with a spec more or less the same as you described and with some negotiation it should come for 40K for sure.

I recommend HP Pavilion or Dell as a brand even if they are a bit expensive than others like an Acer, Lenovo etc.

Check the HP website for more details :- HP Laptops for the Home & Home Office

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1449852)
ACER AS4736Z @ 27600Rs with bill. Nice specs for that price.
  • Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T4200 (2 x 2.00GHz, 800MHz FSB) / 1 x 2 GB DDR3, 1066MHz / 320 GB SATA / DVD-RW SMT with Double Layer
  • 14.0" HD WXGA (1366 x 768) resolution, Acer CineCrystal LED LCD, 16:9 aspect ratio - Mirror / GMA 4500MHD (Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family) ; XP : 256MB ; VISTA : 796MB / Acer CrystalEye Webcam 0.3 MP

Nice idea JK, great price, but I need a larger screen, the specs are good enough for xp, should perform better than my 6 year old desktop, but i have been dissapointed with every laptop i have tried in the past 2 years, guess i am old fashioned! oh yeah forgot to add hdmi is a must, but i guess that should be standard now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1449867)
@Stefan, i picked up a HP Pavilion DV6 laptop from US for Rs.32K. The same spec laptop was available at Croma for Rs.50K+

I saw a HP Pavilion DV4 or DV5 not sure which one with an AMD processor for Rs.42K with the latest design with a spec more or less the same as you described and with some negotiation it should come for 40K for sure.

I recommend HP Pavilion or Dell as a brand even if they are a bit expensive than others like an Acer, Lenovo etc.

Check the HP website for more details :- HP Laptops for the Home & Home Office

If the US prices are so good, then i will wait until october when my wife is meeting here friend in Bahrain, she'll carry a laptop no problem, plus by then either the specs will be better, or the price will be lower, what ay guys?

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanm (Post 1449884)
If the US prices are so good, then i will wait until october when my wife is meeting here friend in Bahrain, she'll carry a laptop no problem, plus by then either the specs will be better, or the price will be lower, what ay guys?

Checked out a HP Turionbased lap last week at a friend's place. 17inch 4GB, this and that; it was bloody good. 43k in US. Bloody fast for a Vista machine.

Hi,

The prices are definitely less in the middle east, Dubai will be better. Decide on model and specifiations and buy from Bahrain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1449912)
Checked out a HP Turionbased lap last week at a friend's place. 17inch 4GB, this and that; it was bloody good. 43k in US. Bloody fast for a Vista machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER (Post 1449913)
Hi,

The prices are definitely less in the middle east, Dubai will be better. Decide on model and specifiations and buy from Bahrain.

17" Moniter sounds perfect JK, will look into that.

Kite runner, i'm actually thinking of my wife's friend picking the laptop up from the US and my wife can bring it back here, but how are the prices in the gulf? as i have friends coming from Dubai to Goa in less than 2 weeks time, they will have no issues in bringing the laptop for me.

A minimum of 5k less here compared to prices in India. One costing around 40k in India will be available for 33k in Dubai. If you can wait, a USA deal will be more cheaper. Now most brands come with international warranty.

Thanks man, that's good advice, I think i will wait, atleast with the US i can check out the deals online, will just need to get a local ac/dc adaptor, which shouldn't be a problem.

Keep checking Amazon for regular deals as prices keep dropping all the time.

I got my lappy for $650 ( $700 before $50 rebate) and now look, the same laptop that i got is now available for $630:Frustrati

Check here :-

Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV6-1230US 15.6-Inch Entertainment Laptop: Computer & Accessories

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanm (Post 1449828)
Ok guys here's the deal I'm in the market for a laptop, would much prefer a desktop but for my business a laptop would be better. I have lost touch with technology the pc i'm using i had built in 2003 and still going strong no issues.

So i'm looking for a machine that will comfortably run 3D design software that has photorealism. I have a preference for AMD based machines, but not essential. The specs required are as follows:

1: Minimum 15.6" screen bigger=better for me
2: Atleast 3GB Ram
3: Dual core cpu (I guess these are standard now)
4: Non Integrated graphics card with minimum 512mb
5: Windows XP or Vista

I'm not sure about Vista as I have not used this O/S please advise if it's any good, I have been quoted Rs42,000 for an Acer 5738G which seems to meet my requirements, this quotation i received today in Goa, as my wife is in Bombay for the next 2 weeks or so she'll be able to pick a laptop from there, she's actually going to Croma in Bandra tomorrow, my budget is around the Rs40,000 mark, the cheaper the better!

Thanks,

Stefan

Try Dell Studio 15. Price 45900 if bought online.
Dell Studio Laptop 15 Details

1) 15" screen, WLED back lit. They have 16" screen models, but portability becomes an issue.
2) 4GB RAM as std, you can customise it to max 8GB on their website.
3) Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6500 (2.10GHz/ 800 FSB/ 2MB Cache) comes as std. But you can choose another Intel processor.
4) It has got a dedicated graphics card with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, chip is ATI Mobility Radeon 4570.
5) OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit, you can choose another flavour of Vista if required. And they had this offer of free upgrade to Windows 7, i don't know if they have it now.

I have this laptop except that mine has only 256MB of dedicated graphics memory and a 320gig HDD.

I suggest you extend the budget by a few more grands and buy the Dell. I don't think there is another machine available with this configuration in the same price range.

This one looks good, definatly will consider this one, thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanm (Post 1449920)
17" Moniter sounds perfect JK, will look into that.

Kite runner, i'm actually thinking of my wife's friend picking the laptop up from the US and my wife can bring it back here, but how are the prices in the gulf? as i have friends coming from Dubai to Goa in less than 2 weeks time, they will have no issues in bringing the laptop for me.

Its HP Pavilion DV7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 1450490)
Try Dell Studio 15. Price 45900 if bought online.
Dell Studio Laptop 15 Details

1) 15" screen, WLED back lit. They have 16" screen models, but portability becomes an issue.
2) 4GB RAM as std, you can customise it to max 8GB on their website.
3) Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6500 (2.10GHz/ 800 FSB/ 2MB Cache) comes as std. But you can choose another Intel processor.
4) It has got a dedicated graphics card with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, chip is ATI Mobility Radeon 4570.
5) OS is Vista Home Premium 32 bit, you can choose another flavour of Vista if required. And they had this offer of free upgrade to Windows 7, i don't know if they have it now.

I have this laptop except that mine has only 256MB of dedicated graphics memory and a 320gig HDD.

I suggest you extend the budget by a few more grands and buy the Dell. I don't think there is another machine available with this configuration in the same price range.

Your Bluetooth isnt working ,so shhhh!

Dell Studio though is a good option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanm (Post 1450725)
This one looks good, definatly will consider this one, thanks.

Definitely Dell studio 15 for you. Most customers are satisfied with Dell and their replacement policy is faster than other brands too. So the end use experience is good. Also they last well. Not sure if they last as well as HP/Compaq though. But overall you would be happy with a dell.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkdas (Post 1451330)

Your Bluetooth isnt working ,so shhhh!

Don't jump before you know complete story. You can refer to the source you read from for why it didn't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sankar (Post 1451753)
Don't jump before you know complete story. You can refer to the source you read from for why it didn't work.

yah read; stupid owner:P

And Studio comes in 17 too IIRC.