Team-BHP - The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/67390-laptop-thread-configs-deals-questions-126.html)

inspiron is budget,
studio is mainstream
and now xps (transitioning to Alienware) is high-end.

Strange - Dell XPS Batteries dont seem to be able to last.I had a 9 cell batt which gave up within a year. I got a prompt warning me of diminished battery performance. It used to last for over 6 hrs - now barely survives 1.15 hrs.

I think I will wait for it to hit the 20 min mark before I order up a new one - and I'll stick with a 6 cell this time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb100 (Post 1446251)
Strange - Dell XPS Batteries dont seem to be able to last.I had a 9 cell batt which gave up within a year. I got a prompt warning me of diminished battery performance. It used to last for over 6 hrs - now barely survives 1.15 hrs.

I think I will wait for it to hit the 20 min mark before I order up a new one - and I'll stick with a 6 cell this time.

mine still gives 2.5 hours, but thats even low what it used to be. Please be warned battery is not covered even if you buy three year complete cover.

PS: This is for people who buy second hand dell, you can see the complete history on their website about any model by just typing the service tag. Like how many times it was repaired during warranty, what things were changed, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1446313)

PS: This is for people who buy second hand dell, you can see the complete history on their website about any model by just typing the service tag. Like how many times it was repaired during warranty, what things were changed, etc.

Lol - they have changed everything in my lappy except the HD, wifi, RAM, and the power adaptor/charger! Some objects twice!!

I am getting a Sony Vaio FW series laptop with P7530 2.0 ghz core 2 duo 1066 mhz fsb proc, 320 gb 7200 rpm hdd, 4 gb ram, ATI Radeon 4650 1 GB card, dolby sound, 16.4 inch 1600X900 resolution screen, web cam and seperate AV controls, blue-ray reader dvd r/w for 1100$ all inclusive.
Has anyone had experience with Vaio laptops... good or bad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 1446590)
I am getting a Sony Vaio FW series laptop.
Has anyone had experience with Vaio laptops... good or bad?

extreme_torque

I have used a sony vaio. It was bought in Sep-03, model PCG GRT786M.
Mid 04 onwards I had a Dell or Thinkpad office laptop.
And I must say, even though the office laptops were of higher spec, the sony always was faster and pleasure to use in terms of keyboard, screen and the build.

And it gave us flawless perf until one day it suddenly conked off in Sep-08.

Though vaios are expensive for comparable spec from other brands, I think they are better too.

cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1445599)
How are the new Dell studio laptops. Am thinking of the Studio 14 or Studio 15.

Dell Studio 14 is discontinued.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid6639 (Post 1445599)
Any better options or is this the best option? I believe all Dell studio lappys have free upgrade to windows 7. Who else offers this?

I have just bought on 4th August Dell Studio 15 laptop. Final cost was 45237 Rupees. I opted for 4GB RAM, topo black color, 256 MB (default) graphics card, 6500 processor, 360GB HDD, Belkin backpack etc. They gave laser mouse for free. I did not get Windows 7 upgrade.

Few things in Studio 15 are disappointing there is no Caps Lock, HDD lights. You cannot figure out whether caps lock pressed or not. Also Function Keys they made accessible throug Fn Key. You need to press two keys for function keys. It is annoying. It came with Vista Home Premium. Also it has slot loading double layer DVD writer. I have not heard good comments about slot loading DVD drives.

Other things in laptop are as usual.

I am also having Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop 2 years old. Battery is still going strong and gives almost 2 hours of backup (6 Cell). No problem with Inspiron Laptop whatsoover. Once by mistake I put my Inspiron on glass table where water was spilled. RAM compartment filled with water. Suddenly some absurd lining were started coming from display. I immediately switched off laptop, removed RAM, and dried it with hair dryer after one hour everything was on track clap:. This led me to buy another one from DELL but for some basic features (mentioned above) not available in DELL which is dissapointing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rohan_iitr (Post 1445920)
fingerprint reader.

I did not see fingerprint reader option in Dell Studio but it has Face Recognition software. You can configure it for login purpose also.

I got myself the new HP Pavilion dv6- 1152tx with 4gb ram, Intel core2duo, 15.6 inch display and 500 Gb hard drive. Actually I really wanted one of the Sony Vaio ones, but needed a 15" screen and the Sony ones were waay too expensive. THis one costed me 56,000. just getting the hang of it. Looks good and performing well. I wish it had the lighting on the keyboard, htough. Also the battery back-up seems pretty poor. I'm told that these larger laptops- "Desktop replacements" don't have as good a back-up as the smaller ones, is that true?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon (Post 1447120)
I got myself the new HP Pavilion dv6- 1152tx with 4gb ram, Intel core2duo, 15.6 inch display and 500 Gb hard drive. Actually I really wanted one of the Sony Vaio ones, but needed a 15" screen and the Sony ones were waay too expensive. THis one costed me 56,000. just getting the hang of it. Looks good and performing well. I wish it had the lighting on the keyboard, htough. Also the battery back-up seems pretty poor. I'm told that these larger laptops- "Desktop replacements" don't have as good a back-up as the smaller ones, is that true?

I got the same HP Pavilion DV6 from the US last week with same configuration except my HDD is 320GB. Got it for $650 ( Rs.31,500):)

I dont think the back-up is bad since it has a 12-cell battery and i read reviews that AMD processor ones have this low power back-up issue. I am yet to use it fully so cannot comment comprehensively about it.

EDIT: It didnt come with a bag. Anyone knows who much a HP laptop bag would cost and were can i buy it from? I made a mistake of not ordering for it too since it was coming as additional accessory for $20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 1447203)
I got the same HP Pavilion DV6 from the US last week with same configuration except my HDD is 320GB. Got it for $650 ( Rs.31,500):)

I dont think the back-up is bad since it has a 12-cell battery and i read reviews that AMD processor ones have this low power back-up issue. I am yet to use it fully so cannot comment comprehensively about it.

EDIT: It didnt come with a bag. Anyone knows who much a HP laptop bag would cost and were can i buy it from? I made a mistake of not ordering for it too since it was coming as additional accessory for $20

Yours DV6 is AMD based his is HP Pavilion dv6- 1152tx, C2d based.

In delhi lappy bag costs about Rs.1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 1447228)
Yours DV6 is AMD based his is HP Pavilion dv6- 1152tx, C2d based.

Nope, its Intel Core 2 Duo based:thumbs up

Summary of the specs :-

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6500, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
4 GB DDR2 RAM (2 Dimm) (8 GB Maximum)
320GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive (SATA), SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with LightScribe and Double Layer Support
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition with Service Pack 1
15.6 inch Diagonal High Definition HP BrightView Display (1366x768)

For full details :- Amazon.com: HP Pavilion DV6-1230US 15.6-Inch Entertainment Laptop: Computer & Accessories

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazy (Post 1446624)
extreme_torque

I have used a sony vaio. It was bought in Sep-03, model PCG GRT786M.
Mid 04 onwards I had a Dell or Thinkpad office laptop.
And I must say, even though the office laptops were of higher spec, the sony always was faster and pleasure to use in terms of keyboard, screen and the build.

And it gave us flawless perf until one day it suddenly conked off in Sep-08.

Though vaios are expensive for comparable spec from other brands, I think they are better too.

cheers

thanks lazy!

Any othe insightes into the performance of the Vaio laptops?

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme_torque (Post 1447251)
thanks lazy!

Any othe insightes into the performance of the Vaio laptops?

I had used Sony Vaio VGN series and now am i am using a Dell Studio 14.
Vaio was nice but the battery used to drain out quickly. I think its a Sony specific problem as my friends laptop also had same issue.
Thats why am more satisfied with Dell as the battery life is really good.

I will suggest Dell over Vaio anyday.

Ok guys here's the deal I'm in the market for a laptop, would much prefer a desktop but for my business a laptop would be better. I have lost touch with technology the pc i'm using i had built in 2003 and still going strong no issues.

So i'm looking for a machine that will comfortably run 3D design software that has photorealism. I have a preference for AMD based machines, but not essential. The specs required are as follows:

1: Minimum 15.6" screen bigger=better for me
2: Atleast 3GB Ram
3: Dual core cpu (I guess these are standard now)
4: Non Integrated graphics card with minimum 512mb
5: Windows XP or Vista

I'm not sure about Vista as I have not used this O/S please advise if it's any good, I have been quoted Rs42,000 for an Acer 5738G which seems to meet my requirements, this quotation i received today in Goa, as my wife is in Bombay for the next 2 weeks or so she'll be able to pick a laptop from there, she's actually going to Croma in Bandra tomorrow, my budget is around the Rs40,000 mark, the cheaper the better!

Thanks,

Stefan

ACER AS4736Z @ 27600Rs with bill. Nice specs for that price.