Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 15:01   #2371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineet_k21 View Post
@Victor - for basic uses mentioned by you, both the choices look pretty much overkill unless you have something else in mind.

I'm also looking for a laptop for similar purpose. I've been told that intel dual core or core2duo are more than sufficient for these purposes. Also, I'm restricting the budget to around 24-28 k.

Any suggestions for models in this range? I'm not hung-up on any specific brand.

Thanks.
Perhaps the Toshiba Satellite?
Old 26th May 2010, 15:02   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
Hi. AS per their site, the detail is as below

Main Memory

Pre-installed/Max3 GB DDR3 SDRAM *2 (upgradeable up to 8 GB*3)SO-DIMM slots2 SO-DIMM slots (The pre-installed memory module uses two)

Does it matter whether its 1x3GB or 1x2GB+1x1GB?
It will create issue when you want to upgrade the system in the future. Say for example, you have 1GBx3 pre-installed and you want to add another 2 GB, what will you do? You have to take out 1GB out of the system and put 2GB in it. Either you have to sell the 1GB or give it away for free!
Old 26th May 2010, 16:00   #2373
BHPian

Could the sluggushness in the test piece of Sony Vaio be due to "bloatware"? What kind of bloatware is normally present in a vaio?
Old 26th May 2010, 16:13   #2374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0012 View Post
Could the sluggushness in the test piece of Sony Vaio be due to "bloatware"? What kind of bloatware is normally present in a vaio?
Could be! Once you get the system, reimage and wipe all softwares in built. Install what you need later on. Generally, it comes with Antivirus trial ware, antispyware, support softwares, etc.. ..
Old 27th May 2010, 08:27   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Browsing comparo

Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Dual channel DDR2, Vista, FF 3.6.3
Core i7, 4 GB DDR3, Windows 7, IE 8

I was browsing team-bhp.com on these two. First one is fast, super responsive. Second one was slower (scrolling, client side javascript etc). The difference was well evident when I took the pop-down menu that you see when you click "Quick links". The menu animation appears slower! I think IE8 is the culprit, not anything else.

I was a fan of IE earlier, but switched to FF since 2008. IMO, FF Rocks!

Last edited by clevermax : 27th May 2010 at 08:30.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:47   #2376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Browsing comparo

I was browsing team-bhp.com on these two. First one is fast, super responsive. Second one was slower (scrolling, client side javascript etc). The difference was well evident when I took the pop-down menu that you see when you click "Quick links". The menu animation appears slower! I think IE8 is the culprit, not anything else.

Try Chrome on Windows 7, it is even faster. Also you can install Google chrome frame to use Chrome's rendering engine within IE.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:31   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Browsing comparo

Is there anything good about the darned laptop? :(

Any word on the Windows 7 disk?

Will someone please review the Vostro 3700!!
Old 27th May 2010, 15:06   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Is there anything good about the darned laptop? :(
Any word on the Windows 7 disk?
Yes mate, the display!! It is superb as I already mentioned.
Sorry, couldn't check the disk, will get back by today evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Try Chrome on Windows 7, it is even faster. Also you can install Google chrome frame to use Chrome's rendering engine within IE.
Thanks funda2max, will check it out. (frame)

Last edited by clevermax : 27th May 2010 at 15:09.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:04   #2379
Senior - BHPian

Maybe I've asked this question earlier too, but it's laptop buying time again for a close friend.

Requirements are simple:

1. Should not be Mac
2. Top of the line configuration
3. Good looking, if possible

The comp would be used for gaimng, hooking up to a display and watching movies etc. in addition to general usage like surfing, office apps and so on and so forth. Blu Ray drive is not required. No constraint wrt budget.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:10   #2380
Senior - BHPian

Asus G series and Alienware from Dell.
Old 31st May 2010, 23:19   #2381
Senior - BHPian

B&T, what screen size are we looking at?
Old 1st June 2010, 00:11   #2382
BHPian

Look into HP touchsmart Tm2 too... It looks awesome with embossed graphics, 12" touch screen, with Lightscribe Drive (Can inscribe mono-chrome graphics on lightscribe DVDs/CDs) and Wacom Stylus. A bit heavy for a tablet, but the config is definitely on the better side.
Old 2nd June 2010, 06:22   #2383
Senior - BHPian

@B&T

Alienware it should be.

If service is not that great a concern, go for Asus's G series. Those guys really know their gaming!

@jocreative

The TM2 would not meet the user's heavy gfx requirements. And IMO a 12 incher is just too small for gaming.
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:24   #2384
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys, the time has come to get another laptop. I would have loved to go in for another Thinkpad but they are crazily expensive in India so until US calls its not going to happen.

I was kind of getting pulled by the Macbook too but then it starts at 60K so thats pretty much out as well, unless i get a brilliant deal and am able to set a dual boot with win7.

Really liked the config which Clevermax and greenhorn have, dont really wanna go in for an i7. I guess i5 should be good enough for me. I really need it to do some work, most of it on the net. A good batterylife and multiple MS office applications would suffice.

Might go and visit the Dell showroom in EGL today. Any suggestions?
Is a budget of 40-45k okay or should i stretch it a little, keeping with the tbhp philosophy
Old 2nd June 2010, 12:41   #2385
Senior - BHPian

@sammyboy: I recommend i5. The i7 is only advantageous if you do a lot of heavy multi-tasking. The performance will be almost the same for i5 and i7 for all normal usage scenarios.

EDIT: I ran Photoshop CS4 64-bit on the new i7 laptop. The performance was really good. PS loads in no time! Somehow, the smooth image zoom-in and zoom-out like you see in Picasa was missing. (I saw that in another desktop, in CS4)

Ran and old game, GTA - San Andreas on it, the graphics was butter smooth at 1600x1020 (32bit color) resolution with all graphics options set to very high. Frame limiter was ON.

Last edited by clevermax : 2nd June 2010 at 12:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks