Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2022, 13:25   #6616
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
I have seen my ryzen7 cross 75 degrees, whereas intel 5 staying around 50 for the same workloads, but i would defer that to experts.
Ryzen is cooler 3000 series onwards (late 2019). The 7nm process for CPUs have reduced heat and power consumption by a lot, compared to Intel which was still on 14/ 10 nm until recently.

Ryzen 5000 series is actually a giant leap in efficiency. Here is a comparison video (skip to 24:05)

(though desktop, but mobile would be relatively similar and actually lesser).

Now, there are applications where Intel microcode might have direct translation, and AMD may not. In such cases the same workload will run in a simulated environment on AMD, spiking the usage and heat.

Last edited by mayukh42 : 14th June 2022 at 13:26.
mayukh42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 13:51   #6617
BHPian

Bought a new Acer Nitro 5 recently. What's the cheapest way to get a non pirated copy of Ms Office ? A lot of sites sell keys for like under 500 INR. Are they legit ?
Old 14th June 2022, 16:29   #6618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
What's the cheapest way to get a non pirated copy of Ms Office?
Libre Office.

You just need to configure the default file saving format and the them-layouts of your liking when you start it first time and it does the job perfectly fine unless you are looking for some MS specific propitiatory task which it doesn't do. No harm in trying, its free and open source.
tbppjpr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 22:32   #6619
BHPian

Quote:
Bought a new Acer Nitro 5 recently. What's the cheapest way to get a non pirated copy of Ms Office ? A lot of sites sell keys for like under 500 INR. Are they legit ?
I bought from an Amazon seller for about 2000 rupees, it's legit. I bought MS Office Home and Student 2016 and 2019 perpetual licences. These versions meet my basic need.

Last edited by Guite : 14th June 2022 at 22:35.
Guite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 06:48   #6620
BHPian

Quote:
I've picked up for < 1k from a dealer who sells you the key.
So far no issues , I authenticated it with Microsoft and it said Yes this is a valid license key.
You can DM me directly if you want his contact.
Fillmore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2022, 10:48   #6621
Senior - BHPian

I am considering getting the 500 gb Samsung 870 Evo Sata SSD for my Dell laptop. Is this the best option or is something better available? Also anyone has experience with this SSD?
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2022, 13:21   #6622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I've picked up for < 1k from a dealer who sells you the key.
So far no issues , I authenticated it with Microsoft and it said Yes this is a valid license key.
You can DM me directly if you want his contact.
Thanks yeah i bought a key online and its working for Office 2021. Costed me around 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am considering getting the 500 gb Samsung 870 Evo Sata SSD for my Dell laptop. Is this the best option or is something better available? Also anyone has experience with this SSD?
Yes its a good option if your laptop can only have a sata drive. If it can support M2 ones then there are way better options.

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 16th June 2022 at 13:37.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 14:11   #6623
BHPian

Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop for small business purpose. Was looking at Dell site and see that New Latitude 5531 Laptop with MS office license coming at around 1.63L. Any reviews on this one?

https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...l5531301in9_vp

Also, is there any other similar option with AMD processor? Is it good to go with AMD processor?
Basic need is - Good processor and cooling system, At least 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, ~15inch display. It should be comfortable to run for whole day.

Also, I see that there are folks here purchased keys online and it seems working. Do we see any trouble with this? This can save me ~12K on this if I install later.

Regards
SE
Old 18th June 2022, 11:27   #6624
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks,

I have the option of getting a Laptop from USA via a friend of mine who is visiting India in mid July. I have had HP and Dell in the past and happy with both brands.

Currently favoring the latest Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 14" Touch Laptop for mixed usage which includes browsing, some Office work - Word/Excel and also video editing using Camtasia and the likes. (Link)

I do expect to make use of the Folding features to kind of have it double up as a Tab when needed as well.

Rough Currency conversion this laptop comes to approx. 74K. I do get the benefit of 12th Gen Intel processors as I am getting from US.

Any alternatives that folks would recommend in this price range?
Would there be better deals in USA for 04 July due to Independence Day ?
Old 18th June 2022, 18:02   #6625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

In general, devices purchased in the US are less expensive than the same spec/model in India. But I would suggest you to check regarding international warranty before taking the plunge. Also, buying extended warranty is highly recommended.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2022, 18:07   #6626
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

I have the option of getting a Laptop from USA via a friend of mine who is visiting India in mid July. I have had HP and Dell in the past and happy with both brands.

Currently favoring the latest Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 14" Touch Laptop for mixed usage which includes browsing, some Office work - Word/Excel and also video editing using Camtasia and the likes. (Link)

I do expect to make use of the Folding features to kind of have it double up as a Tab when needed as well.

Rough Currency conversion this laptop comes to approx. 74K. I do get the benefit of 12th Gen Intel processors as I am getting from US.

Just before covid restrictions started, had got the Dell 2 in 1 Ryzen 5 model during our US visit. Got a really good deal then. Of course prices have gone up now. Nice display though touchscreen is hardly used, keyboard is comfortable, battery not so great (2-3 hours max). Dell warranty coverage can be purchased in India if needed.

Take a look at this model, while not Dell, is a good one. We have one in our house.

https://amzn.to/39y3Tdw

Last edited by xotiq : 18th June 2022 at 18:13.
xotiq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 05:55   #6627
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest the below model. I bought the same last year at similar price for my sister and she is happy with the laptop.
The battery backup is pretty good on AMD and prices are also competitive compared to Intel. Price is around INR 50K.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=6458907
JMaruru is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 08:04   #6628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Also, I see that there are folks here purchased keys online and it seems working. Do we see any trouble with this? This can save me ~12K on this if I install later.
I have had no problem of license not working or expiring. However I have not been able to transfer to (use the license on) another PC. Of course I uninstalled first from original PC. So I reintalled on first PC and continue using on it. The seller is not active anymore on Amazon, probably exhausted his stock. He does not repond to direct message either.

Quote:
Currently favoring the latest Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 14" Touch Laptop for mixed usage which includes browsing, some Office work - Word/Excel and also video editing using Camtasia and the likes.
I got Hp Envy x360 from Bestbuy USA. It is sleek, I'm loving it. For video editing get maximum RAM and CPU cores that your budget permits.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2022, 12:18   #6629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
But I would suggest you to check regarding international warranty before taking the plunge.
Dell provides Transfer of Warranty to India provided the same model is sold in India as well. So I think Warranty is not an issue. (Link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Take a look at this model, while not Dell, is a good one. We have one in our house.
https://amzn.to/39y3Tdw
Thanks for your suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
The battery backup is pretty good on AMD and prices are also competitive compared to Intel.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I got Hp Envy x360 from BestBuy USA. It is sleek, I'm loving it. For video editing get maximum RAM and CPU cores that your budget permits.
Yes - the HP Envy x360 and Lenovo Ideapad Flex are competing models to the one I have shortlisted.

I searched on YouTube and there are lots of Hinge related issues reported for these 2-in-1 convertible laptops from all the brands. So for the ones who have owned any 2-in-1 Laptop - seeking inputs on the reliability of the hinge.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 12:06   #6630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_edge View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop for small business purpose. Was looking at Dell site and see that New Latitude 5531 Laptop with MS office license coming at around 1.63L. Any reviews on this one?

https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...l5531301in9_vp

Also, is there any other similar option with AMD processor? Is it good to go with AMD processor?
Basic need is - Good processor and cooling system, At least 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, ~15inch display. It should be comfortable to run for whole day.

Regards
SE
Why have you selected a Vpro processor based laptop? Do you have any specific use case for it? For a regular small business use you can any of the i3/i5 processors at less than half the price. AMD is just as good as intel for regular users.

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 20th June 2022 at 12:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks