Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2022, 20:09   #6601
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Already here specially in H versions. once i3 versions launch the prices will be much lower.

https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...16-5620-laptop
Yeah, I saw that. I don't have a requirement for H series. I was hoping to get an i5, P or U, whatever fits my budget.

But if neither are gonna fit it, I'd rather not wait and get an 11th Gen laptop right now.
Old 26th May 2022, 14:57   #6602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkgrg View Post
Yeah, I saw that. I don't have a requirement for H series. I was hoping to get an i5, P or U, whatever fits my budget.

But if neither are gonna fit it, I'd rather not wait and get an 11th Gen laptop right now.
The link i shared is of a P series i5 only. Since you are ok with even U series and performance does not matter for your needs then there isn't any use case to get a 12th gen unless having the "Latest" iteration matters.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 21:37   #6603
BHPian

I find myself to be intellectually challenged when it comes to PC peripherals. Advice from this thread would be of great help. The predicaments I face are surreal, to say the least.

I own three Dell Alienware systems. All are out of warranty. I will give a summary of the issues I am facing in all three. I am based out of Delhi NCR.

1. Alienware R17 (2014) - A capacitor/IC issue because of power spike (notorious in my area) which yielded it to be parked in the cupboard since a couple of months. No complaints apart from that. A GTX 780M along with 16 GB RAM ensures that stuff works like I want them to. Solutions?

2. Alienware R17 (2015) - A graphics card issue, it appears. It has a GTX 880M which was working flawlessly for me until the day it conked. Blank display. No HDMI outflow either. A local technician fixed it somehow but I kept getting GPU overheats and BSODs that resulted in the PC auto shutting down. Couldn't keep it powered on for more than a couple of minutes. What do I replace here? The GPU? The motherboard?

3. Alienware X51 CPU (2014) - My current workhorse which I started using after my 2015 R17 retired hurt. This one has a GTX 680 which, if connected to the CPU, ensures the CPU doesn't start. The PSU and every other hardware is stock, mind you. Not even the RAM has been played with. The system starts only if the GPU is detached. Tried every other workaround, no relief. Read somewhere that the 6 pin of the GPU is to blame. Not too sure. Thoughts?

I did visit the authorised Dell SVC in Nehru Place (Delhi) once with my systems, but weirdly, they acted as if that was the first time any of them saw an Alienware. Got shooed out of the SVC stating that their "Alienware Technician" wasn't in that day. Given their penchant for overcharging for repairs, I am considering visiting a reliable and skilled technician who can actually fix these three beauties who are in no way vintage, yet. Who do I call up and how do I get them fixed at the best possible price?
Old 28th May 2022, 09:38   #6604
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Guys - Looking fora laptop for my in-laws who are in their 70s. They’ve decided to learn to use a computer now, so I’ve been asked to help. Budget is about 50k and one thing needed for sure is touch screen display. I’ve seen some options from Dell, Asus and HP. All seem to be in similar ball park price but most have i3 processsors. Now the need will not be for heavy processing at all but at that price point, is i3 ok?

If you guys can help with some recommendations of laptops to buy, I’m ok with AMD processors too, in fact I’ve been personally using AMDs in my desktop for last 10yrs without any trouble.

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2022, 15:41   #6605

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Guys - Looking fora laptop for my in-laws who are in their 70s. They’ve decided to learn to use a computer now, so I’ve been asked to help. Budget is about 50k and one thing needed for sure is touch screen display. I’ve seen some options from Dell, Asus and HP. All seem to be in similar ball park price but most have i3 processsors. Now the need will not be for heavy processing at all but at that price point, is i3 ok?

If you guys can help with some recommendations of laptops to buy, I’m ok with AMD processors too, in fact I’ve been personally using AMDs in my desktop for last 10yrs without any trouble.

Thanks!
Yeah If touch screen is a must you can get only i3s within your budget.
But in my opinion touchscreen is only beneficial when you have a convertible laptop, i case of non convertibles it generally starts aching in the hands after some time of usage as of what I have noticed when I use my touchscreen non convertible laptop.
If convertible is a must,i recommend you to first get a non touchscreen laptop, I personally recommend this laptop https://myitworld.com/products/hp-laptop-15s-eq2144au
And you can add touchscreen by using a plug and play usb Device known as airbar,link:https://amzn.eu/d/3A0GqSP
This device can be used with any windows laptop to enable touch on it,just be careful to buy the appropriate airbar corresponding to your laptop display size.
Shank0447 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 20:24   #6606

Hello Guys
I'm on a lookout for a new laptop as my All in One PC went kaput.
Would be needing mostly for college stuff for my mechanical engineering, which includes basic tasks like making PPT to hardcore tasks like performing CFD analysis on ANSYS and rendering models on solidworks and other 3D CAD model softwares
Required specs: Max Budget 60-65k
Minimum 8GB Ram
Minimum 2GB GPU(4GB preferable)
Minimum Core i5 or Ryzen 5
512 ssd
Decent battery life of 4-5 hours atleast.(Might need to use laptop in college unplugged for longer durations)

I am a noob considering laptop and thus would like to know what could be an ideal laptop considering the above factors

Want to understand the difference between Ryzen 5 and core i5.
Have been hearing that Ryzen 5 devices are more power efficient and give a larger battery life tho not sure whether its totallly true, someone using may confirm the same as battery life is one of the major conerns for me.

Options Considered:
1. HP Victus 16 8GB RAM Ryzen 5 GTX 1650 (60-63k)

2. HP Pavillon Gaming 8GB RAM Ryzen 5 GTX 1650 (60-62k)

3. Asus TUF Gaming F15 8GB RAM i5 10th gen GTX1650/1650TI (60-63k)

4. Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 8GB RAM i5 10th gen GTX 1650 (59-62k)

Any Other suggestions are welcome.
Old 9th June 2022, 23:16   #6607
Senior - BHPian

For this type of budget (around 65k) you can even get the latest intel 12th gen laptops. For productivity type workloads those are really good.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 07:29   #6608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANE View Post
Would be needing mostly for college stuff for my mechanical engineering, which includes basic tasks like making PPT to hardcore tasks like performing CFD analysis on ANSYS and rendering models on solidworks and other 3D CAD model softwares
Required specs: Max Budget 60-65k
Minimum 8GB Ram
Minimum 2GB GPU(4GB preferable)
Minimum Core i5 or Ryzen 5

Have been hearing that Ryzen 5 devices are more power efficient and give a larger battery life
I am not familiar with CFD analysis, I believe it is CPU intensive. Quick online search shows fast core speed and high physical core count matters, not hyperthreading. Core count also should be 2, 4, 8, or 16. Which means 6 or 12 core is not efficiently used.

RAM- you should start with minimum 16gb. Original configuration off the factory maybe 8, you can ask dealer to upgrade immediately.

GPU- my experience with rendering software and CAD soft shows that you need high graphics processing power. It is not just high VRAM but more importantly graphics processor cores. So look for high number of Cuda cores. Files with lots of vector lines, or 3D files with lots of mesh/ polygons take a long time to display, pan, zoom and orbit on slow video cards.

Yes, Ryzen processors are generally more power efficient compared to Intel, at least on desktop CPUs. Same might be true for mobile processors.

Post exact model numbers of your shortlist and we can analyse further.

Last edited by Guite : 10th June 2022 at 07:31.
Old 10th June 2022, 11:01   #6609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

Yes, Ryzen processors are generally more power efficient compared to Intel, at least on desktop CPUs. Same might be true for mobile processors.
I would suggest sticking to Intel for laptop processors. Intel processsors end up being cooler, better battery, better responsiveness and more power efficient from a laptop perspective.

I have laptops from work - Ryzen 5 and i7vpro. Needless to say I prefer working on the Intel cpu laptop.
Old 10th June 2022, 13:03   #6610

Quote:
RAM- you should start with minimum 16gb. Original configuration off the factory maybe 8, you can ask dealer to upgrade immediately.
That is the plan actually.

Quote:
Post exact model numbers of your shortlist and we can analyse further.
1. Victus by HP Laptop 16-e0162AX
2. HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec2150AX
3. Asus TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH-HN258WS
4. IdeaPad Gaming 3i 39.62cms - 11th Gen Intel i5
Model Number : 82K10198IN
IdeaPad Gaming 3 39.62cms - AMD Ryzen 5
Model Number : 82K201UEIN
Old 11th June 2022, 00:02   #6611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANE View Post
1. Victus by HP Laptop 16-e0162AX
2. HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec2150AX
3. Asus TUF Gaming F15 FX506LH-HN258WS
4. IdeaPad Gaming 3i 39.62cms - 11th Gen Intel i5
Model Number : 82K10198IN
5. IdeaPad Gaming 3 39.62cms - AMD Ryzen
Model Number : 82K201UEIN
#1 and #2 same processor, Ryzen 5, 6 cores 12 threads, 3.3 ghz. 45 watt TDP.
#1: number of memory slots not clear, GPU is Radeon, 20 compute units.
#2 has two memory slots, so probably dual channel. GPU is Nvidia GTX 1650.

#3 i5 processor 4 core 8 threads, 2.5 ghz. TDP 45 watt. GTX 1650

#4 i5 processor 4 core 8 threads, 3.1 ghz. GTX 1650

#5 Ryzen 5 processor 6 core 12 threads, 3.3 ghz. GTX 1650

Specifications of the five options are very similar to each other. However the ones with AMD processor have more cores, at higher clock speed. This will be beneficial for CFD analysis. Choose a laptop with two RAM slots, ensure that it is dual channel, and install two RAM sticks of same brand, same capacity, same clock speed. This will ensure optimum CPU performance.

On GPU side while it is difficult to compare AMD Radeon compute units and Nvidia cuda cores, Nvidia is defacto standard so you may feel more comfortable choosing Nvidia over Radeon.

Your college seniors will have a fairly good idea of the complexity of the 3D models you will handle. So they can advise whether RTX 1650 is good enough.
Old 14th June 2022, 00:14   #6612
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a basic laptop, will be using mostly Excel and mails only. No movies, no gaming, nothing.
Need it to boot fast in front of customers, and should preferably be 14 inches or smaller and light.
Can you please suggest some basic laptops
I got this message by PM, from a member apparently impressed by my supposed knowledge about laptops. I am flattered, but undeserving. I bought my first ever laptop last year. To put in perspective, I bought my first desktop back when Wipro used to sell desktops under their brand name. I come into the laptop scene pretty late: I don't even know what a Chromebook or notebook is.

Just yesterday I realised that laptops are not for power users. I was editing a short home video. While encoding in h264, I put the laptop on performance mode because I wanted the encoding to finish fast. All six cores of the CPU ran full speed at 100%, and core temperature reached 80+ C. The aluminium back plate and edges of the laptop got pretty hot.

Back to the member's question. I started a search on Amazon.in, filtered the search to less than 14" screen and less than one kg weight. Since budget is not specified I narrowed down to two items costing around 66k rupees. One is Hp Pavilion Aero with AMD Ryzen 5. Another in Fujitsu UH-X with Intel core i5. Core i5 in this Fujitsu laptop supports PCIe 4. Coupled with the Nvme SSD internal drive, it will give you your desired fast boot up and program loading. However I have no experience on long term durability of any laptop brand, much less Fujitsu.

Both laptops come with 16 gb RAM, which is much more than what you will need. Even the CPUs are over specified for your use case. Ryzen 3 5XXX or Core i3 11XXX (where XXX stands for numbers) based laptops should suffice your need.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 07:23   #6613
BHPian

I got a bunch of laptops in the last few years. For peace of mind, don’t compromise on buying 3 years warranty.

Apart from that, the core things that I look at processor capability for which I check on nanoreview.net or just search x vs y on google (being processor names)

I would go for at least intel 5 or ryzen 4. to handle processing capabilities better. I would avoid processors launched more than 2 years back.

My other two main considerations are:

1. 3200 MHz or higher ram and empty ram slot for expansion. Typically I buy 8gb variant, and add 8 or 16 gb ram. In present times 16 gb gives smooth performance, I have seen that even with 24 gb ram, the usage usually doesn’t exceed 16 gb. Don’t be stingy on ram.

2. NVME at least 512 gb as the primary storage. Empty slot for nvme expansion: which allows you the option for keeping data on a separate drive, or setting up another OS. Highly preferred, but not a deal beaker.

Usually gaming laptops have better heat management like 2 fans, and a dedicated gpu for handling graphics, also more rugged, and nicer rgb lighting on keyboard etc, but heavier.

Intel processors generally heat less for similar performance versus Ryzen.

Research on hinge performance of specific models. Usually hinge failure is not covered under standard warranty. Google research should help.

Having said that the if you go for lighter laptops, you usually compromise on the above variables and get fewer ports.

Our experience with asus tuf series has been pretty good (both my kids are using those. Often come pre installed with lifetime MS Office) and we had purchased 3 years warranty under 3k on manufacturer offer. Heavy multimedia users for education and entertainment.

Under budget constraints, I would go for i5 + 8gb with free ram expansion slot over i3 + 16 gb. I would not hesitate going for previous generation cpu eg 11 instead of 12, as usually performance difference is marginal.

Having said that, these are my personal preferences and have worked well for me.

Happy shopping.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 14th June 2022 at 07:47.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 08:11   #6614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post

Intel processors generally heat less for similar performance versus Ryzen.
While I agree with the rest of the post, this is something I don't.

In the past 1.5 years, I have used the following as daily drivers:

5th Gen Intel i5 (ThinkPad)
8th Gen Intel i7 ((Dell Inspiron)
8th Gen Intel i5 (Asus)
Ryzen 5 3500u (Asus)
2 * Ryzen 5 4500u (Asus and MSI)
10th Gen Intel i5 (Lenovo ThinkBook)
9th Gen Intel i7 (MBP 16)

I have consistently found the Ryzens to be cooler than the comparable Intel laptops. They have all consistently become cooler in the newer generations (with the exception of the MBP 16 which I fondly call "The Heater") but the Ryzens have consistently outperformed the Intels. The MBP runs hotter than even the 5th gen i5.

I have "The Heater" and the Asus Ryzen 5 4500u at my home right now and both have comparable performance for day to day multitasking (both 6 core). But under similar workloads, the Ryzen has twice the battery life with a battery 42% of the capacity of The Heater. And the thing is not even warm to touch at the end of a day's work.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 09:14   #6615
BHPian

I have seen my ryzen7 cross 75 degrees, whereas intel 5 staying around 50 for the same workloads, but i would defer that to experts.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 14th June 2022 at 09:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks