Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 12:50   #6451
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Any recommendations for an inexpensive tab (instead of a laptop) ?
Main usage will be for browsing, attending online classes, so a decent camera is required and also a sim card slot for internet and the ocassional call.
*iPads will probably be out of budget though!
Samsung galaxy s7 fe @35k could be a good choice.
Old 19th October 2021, 15:35   #6452
BHPian

Quote:
Main usage will be for browsing, attending online classes, so a decent camera is required and also a sim card slot for internet and the ocassional call.
You could check out the following :
1. Realme Pad 4 and Realme Pad 3
2. Lenovo Yoga Smart Tablet
3. Lenovo Tab M10
4. Samsung galaxy Tab A7

Also checkout the Chromebooks if you aren't aware of, these look like laptops with big screens and physical keyboards but have Android as UI.

Last edited by RR96 : 19th October 2021 at 15:41.
RR96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 16:55   #6453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Realme Pad 4 is an excellent choice. It has both WiFi and 4G and comes with 4GB-64GB memory.

A colleague purchased it last month for purposes similar to yours and is fully satisfied with the tab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
1.Realme Pad 4
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:59   #6454
BHPian

Hi All,

Ready to jump on Mac bandwagon. Not sure where to pick it from, looking for a base MBA for my daughter who will be joining uni next year.

Any suggestions?

-Ijeet
Old 20th October 2021, 09:44   #6455
BHPian

The MacBook Pros launched yesterday seem to be pricey but really really good.

The base MPB 14 @ $1999 will probably land up at ~₹2 Lakhs. MBP 16 @ $2499 price will be close to ₹2.5 Lakhs. And those are the base models! The top of the line MBP 16 with M1 Max and 64 GB RAM with 8 TB SSD is listed at $6000+. That is small car money!

Such prices are good only if your employer/business is paying for it.

For daily personal use, the M1 MacBook Air is all the laptop you need, unless there is a requirement for the much longer battery life of the M1 MBP 13.

Apple Silicon has revolutionized the laptop market with no parallels for pro users. Intel and AMD are going to have a really really hard time catching up.

Qualcomm does seem to have the firepower to take the fight to Apple, if Microsoft can sort out the software bits. It shouldn't be that hard for QC now that Apple has shown the way. But Apple will have a free run till the chip shortage lasts.. that is a fact of life that we will learn to live with.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:00   #6456
BHPian

Hello Friends,
Bought MSI Modern 15 (with Ryzen 5500U, 8GB RAM, 512Gb SSD) for 46k (from flipkart Diwali sale). Ordered on Oct 17th, delivered on Oct 19th. Big shoutout to flipkart for clean delivery ahead of time with 3 layers of packing.
Initial Impressions:
The laptop is really fast for day to day activities. Good build quality (aluminium frame). 15" Full HD Screen is decent. Boot up time is less than 10 seconds. Has Wifi 6, Micro SD card, USB A & C ports. No USB C charging i think and no ethernet. Track pad is small & no finger print recognition.
The laptop will be used primarily by my spouse. It is satisfying her requirements fully. One big plus i see in the laptop is the additional RAM and SDD slot. RAM can be expanded upto 64 GB and SSD upto 1 TB.
All in all, I believe this can be an excellent value for money, more so than Realme or Mi laptops that costs around 55k for similar config.
Fingers crossed regarding service. Hope for best
-BY
barathvajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 02:29   #6457
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to get the Lenovo Yogi 7i 15.6 Inch Touchscreen laptop for my wife. Below is the link of the same. It's currently available for $850

Anyone uses this laptop? Appreciate a feedback.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...&ref=212&loc=1

Is there a better equivalent? If yes, please share feedback on why?

I was pushing my wife to get the MacBook Air M1 but, she finds MacBook complicated and wants to stick to Windows
Old 15th November 2021, 10:18   #6458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Is there a better equivalent? If yes, please share feedback on why?
I got this for my sister around august for $599/- + Taxes.

She is more than happy with compact form factor and also can be used as a tablet. 'Ryzen 5' is much better than equivalent 'Core i5' processors. Battery easily lasts for 6+ hours.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=6458907
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 17:17   #6459
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to get the Lenovo Yogi 7i 15.6 Inch Touchscreen laptop for my wife. Below is the link of the same. It's currently available for $850

Anyone uses this laptop? Appreciate a feedback.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-7i-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy...?skuId=6453188
Hp Envy x360
I got this for 820$. It is 15" touch screen. Design /form factor is sleek. It has got Ryzen 5 5500U processor. RAM and SSD can be upgraded by user.

I am quite satisfied with it for normal usage. Sometimes I run video encoding plus image editing together, in which case image editing part is sluggish.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 05:57   #6460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I got this for my sister around august for $599/- + Taxes.

She is more than happy with compact form factor and also can be used as a tablet. 'Ryzen 5' is much better than equivalent 'Core i5' processors. Battery easily lasts for 6+ hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
Hp Envy x360
I got this for 820$. It is 15" touch screen. Design /form factor is sleek. It has got Ryzen 5 5500U processor. RAM and SSD can be upgraded by user.

I am quite satisfied with it for normal usage. Sometimes I run video encoding plus image editing together, in which case image editing part is sluggish.
Thanks for your feedback and sharing the models which you have bought recently. My sister bought the Lenovo Yogi 7i recently (about a month ago) and she is happy with it but, was looking for a longer term review.

My wife is going to use it for basic tasks so I guess the i5/Ryzen 5 processor is good enough and looking for a longevity of 5 years to keep the laptop. Hope all these models meet that criteria?

Btw, as I am not a techie, curious to know why Ryzen 5 is considered superior than i5 processor?
Old 16th November 2021, 10:07   #6461
BHPian

Quote:
My wife is going to use it for basic tasks so I guess the i5/Ryzen 5 processor is good enough and looking for a longevity of 5 years to keep the laptop. Hope all these models meet that criteria?

Btw, as I am not a techie, curious to know why Ryzen 5 is considered superior than i5 processor?
For normal MS Office work and internet browsing even Ryzen 3 5300U will suffice.

I can't say anything about durability because I have just used this Hp Envy only for about three months. Hp being one of the top selling laptop brands should speak something about its reputation.

I assembled a desktop PC last year. For that I had read up on processors, among other things. Amd Ryzen is very popular among gamers for its price to performance proposition. It apparently beats similarly priced Intel processors. For me one important aspect is that it consumes less power, so it runs cooler. This means less fan noise.
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 10:12   #6462
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback and sharing the models which you have bought recently. My sister bought the Lenovo Yogi 7i recently (about a month ago) and she is happy with it but, was looking for a longer term review.
Not yogi, but got an Y50 laptop and that is my first and last from Lenovo. The build quality is the most terrible amongst all the laptops I have personally used or have seen in other's hands so far. I had already got few body panels replaced under warranty in the beginning. Heat management is also very bad, I call it a stove since I can’t keep it on my laps, its no more a ‘laptop’. Have seen the heating issues in few other Lenovo models as well in my family and friend circle. Apart from these design and engineering flaws, my laptop also came with a preinstalled spyware which I figured out very late and had to fully format the hard disk and got rid of all the hidden partitions in the fear. Google these keywords – Lenovo Laptop Spyware.

I have made a thumb rule not to get any gadget from Chinese origin brands which connects to internet, be it laptop, phone or TV.

As other fellow members already suggested few good laptops from reputed brands, I would suggest to add Asus Zenbook also in your list. Motherboard is the only internal part which the laptop companies manufacture, rest all are sourced from other vendors. A good motherboard design contributes in reliable performance for years and better heat management of various components.

Asus is king in motherboard design and pays lot of attention on cooling of crucial components of the motherboard. Asus also makes some bad laptops with poor build quality but mostly they are in the low budget segment where story is same with other brands as well. Not a concern with Zenbook which is premium series and few of the high end laptops have very nifty features. I have been using Asus motherboards since 1.5 decade in my desktop computers which I use for heavy stressful 3D visualization and animation profession. And Asus motherboards have been the key components in my computer builds in all these years.

Quote:
This used to be oposite a few years ago when Intel were making smaller and efficient CPUs but AMD turned the card with Ryzen.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 13:50   #6463
BHPian

Quote:
This has been discussed in detail by the member @joxster on this very same thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4806982 (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions)
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 01:57   #6464
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^

Thanks for the wonderful and detailed feedback. While I continue to push my wife to pick up the MBA M1 chip (She is quite reluctant to use a MacBook as she thinks its complicated)

I'm still scouting for deals for Windows Laptop during the Black Friday period and kind of shortlisted this one as price looks quite reasonable :

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-in...?skuId=6447114

Best Buy also have an offer of free M365 package for 15-months with above deal.

As mentioned, the usage is only emails, browsing, social media, video watching etc. Hope the 8gb RAM is sufficient? I don't see an option to customize this laptop to upgrade RAM to 16gb.

Plan to keep this for 4-5 years. Does this sound good?
Old 18th November 2021, 03:17   #6465
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^^^

Thanks for the wonderful and detailed feedback. While I continue to push my wife to pick up the MBA M1 chip (She is quite reluctant to use a MacBook as she thinks its complicated)
OT: Maybe show her Windows 11 and MacOS side by side.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks