Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 10:26   #6406
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Booked a Dell Inspiron 15 plus laptop yesterday with i7-11800H processor (24MB L3, 8C/16T), 16GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia RTX3050 4GB GPU, 512GB SSD HD with Full HD 15.6 inch screen. Price is about 1.15L with 3years premium warranty. This is a built-to-order laptop, so delivery is expected in 10 days. This is one of the very few laptops (and possibly the cheapest) with this latest Intel core that was launched in May 2021.

Last edited by pnredkar : 7th September 2021 at 10:28.
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 22:44   #6407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Booked a Dell Inspiron 15 plus laptop yesterday with i7-11800H processor (24MB L3, 8C/16T), 16GB DDR4 RAM, NVidia RTX3050 4GB GPU, 512GB SSD HD with Full HD 15.6 inch screen. Price is about 1.15L with 3years premium warranty. This is a built-to-order laptop, so delivery is expected in 10 days. This is one of the very few laptops (and possibly the cheapest) with this latest Intel core that was launched in May 2021.
Congrats on your purchase. However the 4GB GPU memory will be a bottleneck for many AAA games in 1080P only. 6GB is the bare minimum and 8GB is recommended these days for futureproofing. If i were you, I would have picked up 3060 / 2060 or even 1660TI if on a budget.

This Helios 300 would cost somewhere around your budget and maybe lower during Big Billion Sale on Flipkart / Great Indian Sale on Amazon:

https://store.acer.com/en-in/laptops...xbox-game-pass

Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 23:18   #6408
BHPian

I am looking to gift a laptop to a student. I dont want to spend a lot. But dont want to give an useless laptop. Zeroed in on https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B093VZC5X9/. ( My first preference was the same laptop with Ryzen 3 5300u. But its always out of stock. So considering 11th gen i3)
Have a few queries.
1. Any feedback on this?. Is it good enough for a BSC student?
2. Should I wait for Ryzen 3 5300u?
3. Any other 14 inch, 8gb ram, full HD laptop in 40k range?
Old 9th September 2021, 07:32   #6409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Congrats on your purchase. However the 4GB GPU memory will be a bottleneck for many AAA games in 1080P only. 6GB is the bare minimum and 8GB is recommended these days for futureproofing. If i were you, I would have picked up 3060 / 2060 or even 1660TI if on a budget.
Thank you! I am not really into gaming or heavy duty video editing. Hence, a higher resolution screen or faster refresh rates did not interest me. Future-proofing is surely my intention, hence I went Intel processor instead of a Ryzen for the thunderbolt 4 this model offers.

My use model for this laptop will be multiple productivity applications running simultaneously and possibly even a Linux box (on VMPlayer). Previous experiences have taught me to go for the best within my budget. FYI, I just gave away a 16 year old Dell Inspiron (bought in 2004) in 2020 in working condition with Ubuntu. And I have another one that is 7 years old and still running well after recent service/battery replace at https://www.laptopstoreindia.com/ service center in Koramangala, Bangalore - I highly recommend them if you have one in your city. So if everything goes well, I hope to use the new one for 7 years atleast.
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:57   #6410
BHPian

Friends, I am in search of a laptop for my office works. Need to use it for runnig Engineering softwares which demand minimm i5 processor and 16GB ram and SSD hard disc. I have identified one HP Pavilion model DV0058 TU which comes with following specs:

11th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
Windows 10 Home Single Language 64
dual channel memory- 16 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (2*8GB)
1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD

Intel® Iris® Xᵉ Graphics

1 year limited parts and labour:

Hope the model is OK for my requirements stated above.

My doubt is that should I go for 16GB ram or higher right now ? or can I upgrade to 32GB ram later?
Old 10th September 2021, 10:10   #6411
BHPian

I think its no longer true. I am no apple fan. I was looking for a laptop for my daughter studying in the 6th standard. To my surprise, top spec ( SSD, 8gb ram, FHD, 11th gen i5/5th gen Ryzen 5) of entry level laptops like HP 14s priced closed to 60k. I was not impressed with the overall quality. Since it was anyway 60k, I thought of buying some premium laptop. Shortlisted Microsoft surface laptop 4, HP spectre and Dell XPS. All are well above 1 lac. I almost bought HP spectre. But due to the chip shortage the model was out of stock. Thats when I explored MacBook Air M1 (8gb). I was pleasantly surprised to see the price. 92,900 MRP. After HDFC 6k discount and some other discount, it was available for 84,190. I canceled the hp spectre and bought this. Blown away by the overall performance, built quality and premium feel. If anything, it looks underpriced compared to the windows laptops.
As for the comment on expensive accessories, I didn't have to buy anything. The only thing you need an adapter or a bluetooth mouse since the port is not a USB C. I bought a cheap mouse, Logitech Pebble M350 for 1.8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Macs I am not a big fan of Apple. To me they are way to overpriced for what they offer. Any apple product to me is not worth . Most of its products are overpriced by at least 30% more. You will easily get the bill of materials online and can figure out how they are looting. Not that other manufactures don't do it but not to the extent Apple does in the name of premium experiecne which it provides in other bigger markets but not in India but charges way more compared to other countries

Last edited by adithya.kp : 10th September 2021 at 10:19.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 10:33   #6412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhavan View Post
Friends, I am in search of a laptop for my office works. Need to use it for running Engineering software which demand minimum i5 processor and 16GB ram and SSD hard disc. I have identified one HP Pavilion model DV0058 TU which comes with following specs:
My doubt is that should I go for 16GB ram or higher right now ? or can I upgrade to 32GB ram later?
The product you mentioned only supports ram upto 16gb. You could also consider Acer Travelmate business laptop, it can be upgraded to 32gb if you would like to in future. The Travelmate laptop series is quite rugged and has a decent reputation.

Quote:
11th Generation Intel® Core i7-1165G7 processor
Windows 10 Home
Nvidia Geforce MX330 2GB graphics
8 GB DDR4 system memory
512 GB SSD
39.6 cm (15.6") 1920x1080 pixel FHD Display
Finger print Reader
3 years warranty (1year on battery and adapter)
You could add a 8gb ram for now which would cost less than 4k Rupees.

Last edited by RR96 : 10th September 2021 at 11:02.
Old 12th September 2021, 21:28   #6413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
I think its no longer true. I am no apple fan. I was looking for a laptop for my daughter studying in the 6th standard. To my surprise, top spec ( SSD, 8gb ram, FHD, 11th gen i5/5th gen Ryzen 5) of
Did you check the Mi series - new i5 14 incher costs around 56 K and with card and offers would be lot closer to 50 K. Still more than 30 K difference with the Apple one. MI one feels and look pretty premium. I had posted some links where one could get a a i5 laptop for closer to 40 K. Even the last generation MI one with integrated camera was closer to 40 and there are quite a few other with processer which a generation or 2 down with brilliant configurations.

I really don't think we require anything more than this for kids for online classes. I can understand buying premium one with very good configurations for a specific needs but kids laptop worth 80+ K is a quite a bit on the on the higher side. A little research we can get very good ones for half the price.

Its not about affordability but the use case that should dictate what we buy. In your specific case I really don't know if this laptop will have any other uses. If that's the case then may be its a real good buy.

1.8 K for a mouse is on the higher side. One can get a good wireless mouse for around 600 and wired ones for less than 400. I am using one for office work since last 3 years and still works fine.

Last edited by nibedk : 12th September 2021 at 21:43. Reason: Correction
Old 15th September 2021, 14:02   #6414
BHPian

It does look premium and priced reasonably too. But I was never keen on MI. No offence to the owners. Agree with you that its not worth buying a Mac for kids. Somehow I just went ahead with my decision. I think HP's 14s- dy2501tu is the best option for kids. I should have bought it.
As for mouse, you are right. Good wired/wireless mouses are available much cheaper. But Macbook Air M1 doesn't have compatible ports. I had to buy a bluetooth mouse. (Didn't want to buy USB adapter). Logitech pebble M350 is the 2nd cheapest bluetooth mouse out there. Logitech M337 is the cheapest, But I didn't notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Did you check the Mi series - new i5 14 incher costs around 56 K and with card and offers would be lot closer to 50 K. Still more than 30 K difference with the Apple one. MI one feels and look pretty premium. I had posted some links where one could get a a i5 laptop for closer to 40 K. Even the last generation MI one with integrated camera was closer to 40 and there are quite a few other with processer which a generation or 2 down with brilliant configurations.

I really don't think we require anything more than this for kids for online classes. I can understand buying premium one with very good configurations for a specific needs but kids laptop worth 80+ K is a quite a bit on the on the higher side. A little research we can get very good ones for half the price.

Its not about affordability but the use case that should dictate what we buy. In your specific case I really don't know if this laptop will have any other uses. If that's the case then may be its a real good buy.

1.8 K for a mouse is on the higher side. One can get a good wireless mouse for around 600 and wired ones for less than 400. I am using one for office work since last 3 years and still works fine.
Old 20th September 2021, 18:09   #6415
HBK

Hello guys..I have a 9 year old Dell Inspiron 7520 15R Special Edition bought in 2012. Recently the screen started showing its age by freezing. It started by a dotted line appearing in the bottom and now the whole screen will work fine for a second and then be blurred for the next second. Is it a software issue or the screen needs replacement? If it's the latter then should I get a new one from Dell Showroom or get it from outside shops. How much would be the cost?
If anyone has any experience. Share your valuable advice.
Old 20th September 2021, 21:53   #6416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK View Post
Hello guys..I have a 9 year old Dell Inspiron 7520 15R Special Edition bought in 2012. Recently the screen started showing its age by freezing. It started by a dotted line appearing in the bottom and now the whole screen will work fine for a second and then be blurred for the next second. Is it a software issue or the screen needs replacement? If it's the latter then should I get a new one from Dell Showroom or get it from outside shops. How much would be the cost?
I own a 2009 Dell Studio 15 and faced similar problem few yrs back. I got the screen replaced for 3K I think. The 15.6 panel is pretty common to find aftermarket and possibly any hardware repair shops can replace it.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:01   #6417
HBK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
I own a 2009 Dell Studio 15 and faced similar problem few yrs back. I got the screen replaced for 3K I think. The 15.6 panel is pretty common to find aftermarket and possibly any hardware repair shops can replace it.
Do the aftermarket ones provide any warranty? For how long did it work and how was the quality compared to the original one?
Thanks for your feedback
HBK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 22:22   #6418
BHPian

Quote:
Do the aftermarket ones provide any warranty? For how long did it work and how was the quality compared to the original one?
Thanks for your feedback
When the official support ends, everyone needs to go aftermarket, be it tech or cars ! For Studio, I am using aftermarket display, battery, charger and keyboard. They all work fine and cost a fraction of OEM. Some OEM parts are available too but unlike official service centers which are good till warranty, a good 3rd party repair shop will get your work done for a far lesser rate and probably on the same day. Almost all my parts are from the manufacturer lapcare:
https://www.lapcare.com/

and I got the screen / keyboard replaced by their official distributer in my city:
https://www.facebook.com/srminfo4u/
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2021, 08:22   #6419
BHPian

Quote:
Dell does not seem keen on servicing any laptop older than 5 years. I had a battery issue on a 2014 laptop and the official service center asked me to get it fixed outside as they no longer make batteries for it. I got is fixed from Laptop Store service center.
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2021, 14:46   #6420
Senior - BHPian

I am currently looking to replace my Lenovo IdeaPad 330s (approx. 2017 model) with something better. I already have another Acer Aspire 3 bought almost 8 years ago and it is still going strong. Hence, I am inclined towards getting the Acer Aspire 7 or the Acer Nitro 5. The primary usage of the laptop would be photo editing using Gimp, general office usage such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint and the usual Zoom/Google meets. Very rarely casual gaming but most of the times none of the 3D shooter games.

The Aspire 7 has i5-10300H, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD with Nvidia GTX 1650 card. The Nitro on the other hand has a 256GB SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, and an Nvidia RTX graphics card. The processor is again an i5 10th Gen (forgot the exact model) with 8GB RAM here. The Aspire 7 comes only with an SSD. Both laptops come with the option of upgrading the memory or the SSD later on.

The store offered to exchange my old laptop and work out a deal of approx 75k for the Aspire 7 and approx 80-82k for the Nitro 5. Are these laptops okay for the kind of usage, or are there any other ones (preferably Acer) that I should look at?

No Dell please, I had an Inspiron many years ago and it was a pain. I replaced that one with the Acer Aspire 3 in mid-2013 and it has been a great experience so far.

No Lenovo again, because I am fed up with the 100% disk utilization problem on the IdeaPad 330s, and this is the primary reason, I am looking at a replacement for the IdeaPad. The IdeaPad is half dead for most of the time. Opening multiple tabs in Chrome or Edge literally kills it with the DU problem.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 23rd September 2021 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks