Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 10:55   #6301
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
That sounds serious, a spyware installed in the laptop . Any suggestions / recommendations on what could be done to check our laptops for such malware and then remove it. As a fellow Lenovo laptop owner, any steps I can take to make it more secure would be helpful. How did you figure out that there is a spyware present?
You only know when some report is published somewhere after years when the maleware/spyware has already done lot of damage. Best bet is still to format and install fresh copy of the OS on a re-partitioned hard disk by yourself when you first buy the laptop/computer and then follow the usual precautions of the usage.

Quote:
So I am doing a fresh install of Windows OS and then driver updates, after upgrading to an SSD. Any pointers on how to do a dual boot and what would be a good Linux distribution to try for beginner. I have always wanted to explore Linux for development (Java) and now might be a good time to try it out.
Follow this guide: https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-li...-boot-windows/

Since you are going to perform a fresh install of Windows, leave around 120GB of unformatted disk space for Linux in the beginning. Install the Windows and follow the above guide. Though you can get away with much less disk space for Linux OS installation to begin with but in my experience I found this much to be sufficient for long term serious usage.

Safest choice will be Linux Mint Cinnamon for a first time user. Its the most reliable and simple-to-use distro for the people migrating from Windows ecosystem. I have had used it for very long time. Once you get familiar with the Linux ecosystem and can manage the routine troubleshooting, you can start trying different distors.

KDE Plasma desktop environment is gaining lot of interest these days, even some branches of Ubuntu have started coming in native KDE Plasma flavors, like Kubuntu and Ubuntu Studio. These days I use Ubuntu Studio. Many other KDE Plasma based distros are also available there, but no need to think about them right now, you will yourself be able to find better option for you later when you get used to of the Linux environment. Its just a matter of minutes to switch onto other distro from one.

When you will first boot into Linux desktop, you will be amazed to see how your same laptop now barely usage 1 GB of RAM with the powerful Linux OS where Windows used to occupy around 4GB of RAM for itself on the same one.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 26th June 2021 at 10:58.
Old 26th June 2021, 11:59   #6302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

When you will first boot into Linux desktop, you will be amazed to see how your same laptop now barely usage 1 GB of RAM with the powerful Linux OS where Windows used to occupy around 4GB of RAM for itself on the same one.
Always try the LiveCD version of the distro - make sure everything works (wifi, display, etc) then install to HDD /SSD. Unfortunately, some distros still don't have drivers for certain wifi chips and hunting for workarounds will be a PITA for beginners (and casual Linux users). Check your printer compatibility also.
Old 26th June 2021, 13:16   #6303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Went through your previous posts and understand that there is substantil improvement in performance. Were you able to get this done yourself at home (DIY)? Which brand of SSD you went with? Also, was there any other option like M2 or NVME possible on this when you opened it up? Sorry for the multiple questions but you seem to have done this on exact similar model of laptop so the questions.

Regarding the BSOD, thankfully that has not yet happened on this one.
I did not upgrade the SSD myself as I lack the technical skills and neither do I have the tools I asked a computer repair guy to do the job. He's used Seagate Barracuda 240 gb SATA SSD, that's what he told me. I guess no harm in going DIY way if you know about laptop repairs and stuff. You'd need a caddy to keep your hard disk inside the laptop. My advice would be to get it done from a professional, as it is the only laptop you have please don't risk it Good to know you are not getting the dreadful BSOD error !
Old 27th June 2021, 11:58   #6304
BANNED

I have a Dell Inspiron which cost around 60K. Right after buying the laptop, I extended the warranty for 2 years (making it 3 years in all). Warranty extension cost around Rs. 4500.

My 3 year warranty is ending soon. Dell has quoted 5,500 for extending the warranty by another year. I am extremely happy with Dell home support, but I was wondering if it's worry the money to extend it by one more year.

How good are the local neighbourhood repair guys for repairing laptops in Bombay & Delhi. Do they do home repairs for a charge? Are parts easily available with the local guys?
Old 27th June 2021, 13:59   #6305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have a Dell Inspiron which cost around 60K. Right after buying the laptop, I extended the warranty for 2 years (making it 3 years in all). Warranty extension cost around Rs. 4500.

My 3 year warranty is ending soon. Dell has quoted 5,500 for extending the warranty by another year. I am extremely happy with Dell home support, but I was wondering if it's worry the money to extend it by one more year.

How good are the local neighborhood repair guys for repairing laptops in Bombay & Delhi. Do they do home repairs for a charge? Are parts easily available with the local guys?
Local shops are fine, but no where close to the original part replacements that Dell can manage. Getting replacement parts like displays may be a challenge for your local shop. With lockdown easing further, home visits should not be a problem.

Dell quoted the same 5500/- for my 2 in1 laptop, and yes their support has been good.
Old 27th June 2021, 16:15   #6306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
India launch can't happen till certification is completed. This Spec will cost 2 lakh+ in India with Quadro. What is the cost in US ?
The workhorse has arrived home

I got some considerable discount on account of my contact at HP India and hence paid considerably less than what you have mentioned here. This was not at all possible to buy for me as a retail customer.

This thing is lightning fast right now. I am sure it will slow down over a period but for now - my God. I haven't experience this speed and smoothness before.

Moreover, I can possibly upgrade the RAM to 64 GB in future which is just great to have as an option.

Small glimpse below .

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-systemconfig.png

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-wificonfig.png

Last edited by sunilch : 27th June 2021 at 16:44.
Old 27th June 2021, 16:35   #6307
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Dell quoted the same 5500/- for my 2 in1 laptop, and yes their support has been good.
Is this 5500 for the 4th year of support?
Old 27th June 2021, 17:07   #6308
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking to buy a laptop under 60k with possibly the below basic configuration:
  • 10th or 11th Gen i5
  • 8GB RAM
  • 512 SSD
  • 14" 1920x1080 screen
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • Should be relatively easy to carry around

Some of the laptops I've shortlisted are as below:
  • Dell Inspiron 14 5410
    - Rs 61489 (ICICI cashback of 5000 / 3 Yr Warranty)
    ^ I think the best configuration/package/balance for the price

• Acer Aspire 5 Thin & Light
    - Rs 54,999 + 2241 (1st Year Accidental Damage Protection + 2 Year Extended Warranty + Nitro Headset)
    ^ Assuming that the i5-1135G7 will probably consume less power and less heat.

• MSI Modern 14 B10MW-423IN
    - Rs 49,990
    Ticks all the boxes, and an unbelievable weight of 1.3kgs, but not sure about the durability and service

• MSI GF63 Thin 9SCSR-1608IN
    - Rs 51,990 (4 GB Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max Q/60 Hz / 15.6")
    ^ Very tempting and assume it will heat up quick and high power consumption. With 15.6" screen may be heavy as well to carry around.

Last edited by Gordon : 27th June 2021 at 17:08.
Old 27th June 2021, 17:48   #6309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is this 5500 for the 4th year of support?
It was for the second year, onsite warranty. This was picked up from US, nice to see Dell offer warranty and support in India.
Old 1st July 2021, 16:11   #6310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I'm looking to buy a laptop under 60k with possibly the below basic configuration:
======
^ Assuming that the i5-1135G7 will probably consume less power and less heat.[/list]
I don't recommend a Dell Inspiron or Acer Aspire models. Their build quality is not good being the primary reason. If you can stretch your budget do consider HP Envy series. Another good option is Dell Vostro. I am personally using a Vostro which has good build quality, support for NVMe and SATA as well light weight helping in easy portability.
Old 3rd July 2021, 20:42   #6311
Senior - BHPian

I have a HP Envy X360 bought for my daughter's online classes last June from Chroma. It is just out of warranty. It is a convertible model with touchscreen.

A cousin accidentally leaned on it with his palm while it was charging on the bed (Stupid I know). And the touchscreen is cracked. Now the Laptop is working fine, except for the touch response which is not working.

I reached out to Chroma and Reliance Digital who are saying that the part is not available from the company. HP official site lists couple of numbers one of whom received my call today and asked me to contact a 3rd person as it is out of warranty. I've spoken to him and he has said that he will check.

My concern is why there is no availability of parts for a new premium laptop. Especially since it was launched only on 17.04.2020, about 15 months back. I don't mind waiting, but the vibe I'm getting is that HP no longer supports this model, though it is on sale on their official website.

I have seen YouTube videos of the replacement and it seems simple enough. Should I accept a 3rd party part from the reference of the HP service guys?

And yes, I need it replaced as I really don't like using damaged products.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-whatsapp-image-20210623-10.33.10-am.jpeg
Pic of broken Screen

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-whatsapp-image-20210627-11.09.16-pm.jpeg
Conversation with HP service at Reliance Digital

Name:  Screen Shot 20210703 at 8.40.22 PM.png
Views: 619
Size:  167.5 KB
Conversation with HP USA (From official website)
Old 5th July 2021, 13:39   #6312
Senior - BHPian

I had given some rave reviews on the Mac air which I got 1.5 years back. Looks like I had spoken too soon. The laptop is having multiple issues with the display. First got marks on the screen from the keyboard. Now there are dead pixels..

A simple search on google informs you that these are pretty common issues in Apple laptops and they are doing nothing about it. So much for the unbeatable HW and Apple QA.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 15:13   #6313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I had given some rave reviews on the Mac air which I got 1.5 years back. Looks like I had spoken too soon. The laptop is having multiple issues with the display. First got marks on the screen from the keyboard. Now there are dead pixels..

A simple search on google informs you that these are pretty common issues in Apple laptops and they are doing nothing about it. So much for the unbeatable HW and Apple QA.
That's unfortunate. By any chance, was something placed on top of it or it got compressed while in a bag or something?

Given the age, if its outside warranty, are you planning to get this checked with Apple?

My '14 Macbook Air is still going strong though the battery life has reduced drastically in the past year. I have noticed the key marks on the screen at times, but its usually just dust patterns. A clean wipe of the screen removes it.
Old 5th July 2021, 15:44   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
That's unfortunate. By any chance, was something placed on top of it or it got compressed while in a bag or something?

Given the age, if its outside warranty, are you planning to get this checked with Apple?

My '14 Macbook Air is still going strong though the battery life has reduced drastically in the past year. I have noticed the key marks on the screen at times, but its usually just dust patterns. A clean wipe of the screen removes it.
Nothing was placed on the laptop, this was not even carried around. My daughter used and treated this as the apple of her eye and was heart broken to see this.

The key mark problem is widespread in all thin and light laptops. The keys accumulate oil on daily usage. In the lid closed position, the keys press against the display and corrode the oleophobic coating on the screen. These marks wont go away once developed. So better wipe it regularly or use a keyboard protector.
It will look something like this

https://forums.macrumors.com/attachm...py-jpg.714332/

The dead pixels issue is worse. This was shocking in a 1.5 year laptop. Since the device is out of warranty, it may cost a bomb to replace the display. Sincerely hope this won't spread.

Last edited by poloman : 5th July 2021 at 15:49.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2021, 16:04   #6315
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
I don't recommend a Dell Inspiron or Acer Aspire models. Their build quality is not good being the primary reason.

I find the Dell Inspiron to be an outstanding laptop for the price in terms of build quality, customer service. I have used laptops costing twice as much as the Inspiron & the Inspiron worked out better for me.

I have used Acer's Gateway laptop long back - it was a cheap one (30K, IIRC). It was pretty bad & the customer service was also bad. I am not sure how translates to Acer's main brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks