Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2021, 18:44   #6271
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
For the Ryzen 5000 series of processors, if the 2nd digit is an even number, then its based on the Zen 3 architecture. eg 5600U, 5800H etc. If the 2nd digit is odd, its based on the older Zen 2 architecture eg. 5500U, 5700U etc. The main difference is that the L3 cache is common for all the cores in Zen 3 architecture as opposed to two separate L3 caches for a set of four cores in Zen 2. Also, I believe they have doubled the L3 cache in Zen 3 models.
Thanks for the information. Now that I check, there are NO '5600U' OR '5800U' offerings from Dell in US. Only HP has some laptops with 5600U processors.

Am I missing something? Could you please point me to any offerings of 'Ryzen 7' 5800U laptops in US?
Old 15th June 2021, 07:29   #6272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Could you please point me to any offerings of 'Ryzen 7' 5800U laptops in US?
I'm sorry that I'm unable to help you out here as I am unaware of the websites related to the US market. I'm sure there would be other members who could help you out on that. The availability of Ryzen processors are iffy in general at the moment so if you are able to spot one, don't procastinate. My understanding is that laptops are better priced and have better specifications in the US market than in India, so it will be good if you get one from there.
Old 15th June 2021, 18:29   #6273
BHPian

I love laptops for the portability factor. Now due to this pandemic induced boom in 'Everything From Home (EFH)', I am forced to buy a new one. Need to have a back-up for my current 11+ year old laptop (Yes I keep things for long) and also hand-over it to my Son for his daily 1-2 hours of class starting soon.

Current machine: 2010 Dell Inspiron 17" with 2nd Gen Intel i5 and 6GB RAM. This was high-end in those days and bought in US. My God, if there is one reason I miss my stay in US, then it is the lower price for quality stuff for everything (except healthcare I mean ). As you see, it has served me well for 11+ years and still works fine. But I am a software engineer and my needs/expectations from the device have gone up now. Now I need to run heavy IDEs, some background processes and yet be able to attend conference calls simultaneously. Not to forget, browse T-BHP or other sites on the side.

Have shortlisted below spec and looking for a sort of confirmation from the experts here. Budget is not unlimited and hence trying to optimize performance here.

· Windows 10 Pro 64 (no option for Home)
· Intel® Core™ i7-10750H (with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 cores)
· 32 GB RAM (1 x 32 GB)
· 2 SODIMM slots
· 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
· 15.6" diagonal, FHD - Can't afford a 17" in India at present :(
· NVIDIA® Quadro® P620 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
· 1 RJ-45; 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate (charging); 1 HDMI 2.0, 1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (DisplayPort™ 1.2); 2 Super Speed USB Type-A 5Gbps signaling rate; 1 headphone/microphone combo
· 1 smart card reader
· Integrated Intel® I219-LM GbE
· Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, non-vPro®
· Life 6-cell, 83 Wh Li-ion polymer

How does this look with same objective in mind? : Long-life, good support (Dell had fabulous support system when under warranty), abuse friendly (I carry my laptop to places quite often), resistant to dust (important in India) and be able to take heavy load of multiple apps running simultaneously.

I know there are AMD fans here and I wouldn't mind it. But not able to get a desired spec with desired screen size and RAM size in desired budget.

Above is from HP and a friend is helping in getting some discount on the purchase and hence restricted to HP. Same spec is available at 60-70% of the cost in US but alas, it will have to be this expensive purchase this time.
Old 15th June 2021, 20:12   #6274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
· 32 GB RAM (1 x 32 GB)
· 1 TB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
· NVIDIA® Quadro® P620 (4 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
· Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, non-vPro®
No such laptop exists (Yet) since intel has not completed 6E certs for India. You can mix-and-match to get one though.

Are you okay with upgrading ? I have upgraded specs to 48 GB RAM, 1 TB ssd and AX200 on Dell Inspiron and this does not void warranty in any way.

Is Quadro a necessity, or will GTX / RTX work for you?
Old 15th June 2021, 20:22   #6275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
No such laptop exists (Yet) since intel has not completed 6E certs for India. You can mix-and-match to get one though.

Are you okay with upgrading ? I have upgraded specs to 48 GB RAM, 1 TB ssd and AX200 on Dell Inspiron and this does not void warranty in any way.

Is Quadro a necessity, or will GTX / RTX work for you?
It does and this is actual spec received from my friend. This is yet to be launched in India but will be available soon. Specs are actual. Don't have a deal for Dell and hence not able to look there. Otherwise Dell was my first choice given my satisfaction with a Dell product so far.

Quadro is the only option available for this spec for now. GTX / RTX will work too if available.

Last edited by sunilch : 15th June 2021 at 20:23.
Old 15th June 2021, 23:48   #6276
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, need some help in zeroing in on a laptop for my cousin. She is a school teacher teaching primary and middle school. The school has a laptop reimbursement scheme where they will reimburse 50% of the cost of the laptop
However, it comes with the condition that the laptop must comply with their IT department's minimum configuration recommendation:

Processor :i3,i5,i7 (above 7th generation-Quad Core ) Cpu speed 1.6 -2.5 GHZ

OS/Office:Windows 10 & office

Memory Size:4GB -8GB RAM(DDR3/DDR4)

Storage Type :SSD/HDD(250GB-1TB)

Battery Life:4-7 Hrs

Display Size :14-17 inches

Please suggest laptops available.
** I tried reasoning about going with AMD Ryzen processors but that's out of question because of the restriction.
Old 16th June 2021, 12:22   #6277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The school has a laptop reimbursement scheme where they will reimburse 50% of the cost of the laptop
This is the one i got for my friend who teaches extensively online.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08SRDW9ZT
It is a basic and very sufficient model with touchscreen which is a big help to write on the screen. If budget is shared by school, she can go with an i5 processor but for most use cases, this one should suffice.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 14:03   #6278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
This is yet to be launched in India but will be available soon.

Quadro is the only option available for this spec for now. GTX / RTX will work too if available.
India launch can't happen till certification is completed. This Spec will cost 2 lakh+ in India with Quadro. What is the cost in US ?

This + similar configs from HP / Lenovo are available if you are okay with upgrading few components post-purchase.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-dell_option.jpg
Old 16th June 2021, 14:44   #6279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some help in zeroing in on a laptop for my cousin. She is a school teacher teaching primary and middle school. The school has a laptop reimbursement scheme where they will reimburse 50% of the cost of the laptop
However, it comes with the condition that the laptop must comply with their IT department's minimum configuration recommendation:

Please suggest laptops available.
I would suggest to go for HP laptop, they come with MS office installed.

You can just open the HP India website and easily filter based on these parameters.

Please go for i5/8GB/SSD/Intel Graphics configuration. Few examples:

https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/p...u-3v7p2pa.html

https://store.hp.com/in-en/default/p...u-3v2n1pa.html

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 17:48   #6280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Any reliable site from where I can purchase Dell battery?

Have a Dell Inspiron 7548 which needs 'D2VF9' battery.

thanks
Have ordered from https://laptopgallery.in/

Will update on the product once I receive it.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 06:25   #6281
BANNED

The slot/hole where the battery adapter connects to the laptop - what if there is loose connection there? The adapter can be replaced, but if the problem is in the laptop's slot which has become bigger because of wear & tear? How expensive would it be to repair/replace it in a 60K laptop?
Old 18th June 2021, 09:19   #6282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks, need some help in zeroing in on a laptop for my cousin. She is a school teacher teaching primary and middle school. The school has a laptop reimbursement scheme where they will reimburse 50% of the cost of the laptop. However, it comes with the condition that the laptop must comply with their IT department's minimum configuration recommendation:
I bought this about a week ago, but with an i5 processor and Intel Iris XE graphics card.

The said model is removed from the site and only shows NVIDIA option right now. Meets all your requirements. The model number is Inspiron 15 5509.

Last edited by n_aditya : 18th June 2021 at 09:36. Reason: updated info.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 18:07   #6283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
The slot/hole where the battery adapter connects to the laptop - what if there is loose connection there? The adapter can be replaced, but if the problem is in the laptop's slot which has become bigger because of wear & tear? How expensive would it be to repair/replace it in a 60K laptop?
So the part is called "DC Jack" & dell replaced it under warranty.

I own this 60K Dell Inspiron for the last 3 years. I have also own Thinkpad T-Series over the years which cost double of this.

Overall, I find the at-home service of Dell as good as Thinkpad.

About the laptop itself, I really have had better experience with the Inspiron than the Thinkpad.

I am a rough user & I have had the LCD replaced for both the T-Series & Dell. I have had both the Adapter & the DC Jack replaced with the Dell. The T-series adapter & Jack were very sturdy & never had to be replaced even for 5 years. Battery, Dell has been much superior. I have had to replace Thinkpad batteries after roughly 2.5 years while Dell is still going strong at 3 years. One thinkpad battery even had to be replaced at 1.5 years (under warranty, of course). I have even had the touchpad fail in the Thinkpad while no such thing with the Dell. Even the Harddisk was replaced in one of the Thinkpads.

I would 100% prefer an Inspiron over T-Series Thinkpad but my company policy is that they buy me only a Thinkpad.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 21:58   #6284
BHPian

I have a Microphone which I had bought to use with SJCAM Action Cam, I wish to use it now with laptop as Mic. It has a Mini USB male out and I would ideally need a Mini USB female to 3.5mm male connector to make use of it on the laptop, but just not abel to find the relevant connector.

What would be the best solution to use this Mic with not too much investment? Any leads to the connector online or other idea to use this will be of great help. Attaching an image of the Mic.

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img20210618214535.jpg

KK
Old 18th June 2021, 22:15   #6285
Senior - BHPian

I have almost the same experience in the case of Thinkpad vs Dell. My personal laptop is a Thinkpad while my office laptop is a latitude. In the last three years, my Thinkpad has faced many issues while the latitude has been solid. The thinkpad's keyboard was replaced once. Once the laptop died in the middle of a presentation and had a power IC replaced. As of now, the touchscreen display rubber beading has dried up causing the display to fall over from the frame. Mine is not a T series laptop but a Yoga series one. The latitude on the other hand has gone through a lot of abuse in the last two years and is still going strong. I am especially impressed by the trackpad which is still the same visually. Compared to that the Thinkpad's trackpad has lost many layers and looks horrible.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks