Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2021, 22:37   #6136
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Any comments on the Windows Surface range specifically the Surface Pro X and Surface Book 3?
How do they compare vis a vis the Macbooks? The intent here is to find Macbook kind of performance in the Windows world. Is that an unrealistic expectation or am I asking the wrong questions?
Old 8th April 2021, 02:20   #6137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Any comments on the Windows Surface range specifically the Surface Pro X and Surface Book 3?
How do they compare vis a vis the Macbooks? The intent here is to find Macbook kind of performance in the Windows world. Is that an unrealistic expectation or am I asking the wrong questions?
Re: Surface line; Taking pages out of Apple's book (for all the wrong reasons), these devices have glued together parts and are downright unrepairable if something breaks. This, coupled with the fact that support for Surface products is virtually non-existent in India means that if something goes wrong, its likely going in the bin. Needless to say, they are best avoided.

Macbook-kind performance on Windows is not at all unrealistic, you just have to specify what sort of use-case you have in mind and select a device accordingly.
Amien is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2021, 11:21   #6138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Macbook-kind performance on Windows is not at all unrealistic, you just have to specify what sort of use-case you have in mind and select a device accordingly.
Thanks for your comments. Really helpful.
Regarding usecase, was looking for a two-in-one with a detachable keyboard, with specs that would be future proof for at least 5 years (preferably more). Stylus is not required but docking support is desirable. As I said, display and performance should be Macbook grade.
Old 8th April 2021, 21:16   #6139
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. Really helpful.
Regarding usecase, was looking for a two-in-one with a detachable keyboard, with specs that would be future proof for at least 5 years (preferably more). Stylus is not required but docking support is desirable. As I said, display and performance should be Macbook grade.
Unless touch/pen input is particularly important to you, its best to avoid 2-in-1/convertible devices as a 360 degree hinge adds cost, design complexity and compromises build quality due to an additional point of failure.

If you're looking for a detachable keyboard, a tablet w/keyboard might be the way to go over a laptop with a touchscreen. Do share your thoughts along with an approximate budget, max. size/weight and anything else you feel is relevant to your use-case.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 07:29   #6140
BHPian

Recommend a thin and light (<1.4 kgs) laptop for 50k

I'm looking for a thin-and-light laptop for my writing work and carrying it when travelling. Requirements are:

1. Should be below 1.4kg and relatively sturdy
2. Good keyboard for long writing sessions
3. Runs cool and quiet
4. 13.3 - 14" Matte screen
5. Good speakers are a bonus
6. Should give 7+ hours battery life on wifi with 70% screen brightness
7. Config: i5/Ryzen 5, 8GB RAM, 256/512GB SSD

Brand preference: Acer, Lenovo, Mi, Dell
Old 9th April 2021, 16:01   #6141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Unless touch/pen input is particularly important to you, its best to avoid 2-in-1/convertible devices as a 360 degree hinge adds cost, design complexity and compromises build quality due to an additional point of failure.

If you're looking for a detachable keyboard, a tablet w/keyboard might be the way to go over a laptop with a touchscreen. Do share your thoughts along with an approximate budget, max. size/weight and anything else you feel is relevant to your use-case.
Thanks for your valuable inputs and your patience in understanding the requirements.
Based on your comments, my question is will there be a performance difference between a tablet and a full fledged laptop? I suppose it will boil down to how much hardware you can cram into the space available and a laptop will always have more of it than a tablet.
As for your questions, I do not mind spending for a good piece of hardware but just to put a number, lets say around a lakh with a healthy margin on either sides. I do not have any specific size/weight requirements, but bigger the better is always desirable for size. Multi-tasking is something that I do require, that was one of the reasons for looking at Windows in the first place.
Old 9th April 2021, 22:55   #6142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Recommend a thin and light (<1.4 kgs) laptop for 50k
Please refer to the MSI laptop shared a few pages ago in this post:-
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post5008549 (The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions)
It has a processor that's both powerful and efficient (battery life) plus one of the best keyboards in this range (good travel, backlit).

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs and your patience in understanding the requirements.
I do not have any specific size/weight requirements, but bigger the better is always desirable for size. Multi-tasking.
It's no problem at all. Half the battle is figuring out your needs and preferences, the other half is selecting the best available option at the time of purchase.
Your observations on tablets and the space/power constraints of high-performance parts are correct. Based on what you've shared so far, this ASUS ROG Zephyrus S17 is my recommendation.

Last edited by Amien : 9th April 2021 at 23:01.
Amien is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 10:01   #6143
BHPian

Looking for a laptop under 25000 for my father which will be used only for mails & YouTube. Amazon throws up this.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08TQQ4ZHM/...J8893VN45N0NZ6

Please advise if this is an ok choice. Thanks.
Old 10th April 2021, 10:22   #6144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Looking for a laptop under 25000 for my father which will be used only for mails & YouTube. Amazon throws up this.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08TQQ4ZHM/...J8893VN45N0NZ6

You could go for the latest Chromebooks.
Old 10th April 2021, 20:12   #6145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post

A tablet would be a better choice for emails + YouTube. Anything below a Pentium/Athlon-class CPU quickly becomes a liability.
Old 10th April 2021, 20:27   #6146
BHPian

Hi,

Looking for a light and good built laptop.

it will be used mainly for work when i am travelling

- will run linux ubuntu with python/perl/PHP dev tools. nothing CPU intensive.
- good Linux driver support
- screen size 13"/14"
- should have option to upgrade RAM/SSD if needed in future.
- will keep it for long time

budget around 50K

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-ThinkPa...op-20RAS0SA00/

or

https://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-ThinkPa.../dp/B08XW11NQS

please advise, Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 23:51   #6147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStarted View Post
Looking for a light and good built laptop.
Between the two you mentioned, the first option is the only one with upgradable RAM while the second meets the lightweight criteria. Though you may not have a need for CPU-intensive work, usable performance across time becomes relevant if you keep it around long enough.

Take a look at the MSI Modern 14 B4MW-238IN. It meets all of the outlined criteria while having over 2x the performance potential.

Last edited by Amien : 10th April 2021 at 23:56. Reason: reduced text
Old 11th April 2021, 00:01   #6148
BHPian

I feel that my MSI GF63's screen flickers a little when I work on Photoshop, specifically the grey background of Photoshop. Have not observed this with any other software.

Anyone else observed this issue?
Old 19th April 2021, 13:11   #6149
BHPian

Went through the last few pages looking for the gaming laptops recommendations around 1L.

It seems Lenovo, HP and Asus offer the most visible choices.

A friend of mine (and to be honest even I am looking for a change to my 10 year old laptop) were discussing the available options and he asked me to checkout the MSI GF65 Thin (https://www.flipkart.com/msi-gf65-th...oduct.share.pp).

Is this a bad choice for a gaming laptop below 1L? Or are there any issues with this line that I am not aware of? The only complaint I noticed being repeated in the reviews is the poor battery life.

Last edited by JithinR : 19th April 2021 at 13:13.
Old 19th April 2021, 22:15   #6150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Went through the last few pages looking for the gaming laptops recommendations around 1L.

Is this a bad choice for a gaming laptop below 1L? Or are there any issues with this line that I am not aware of? The only complaint I noticed being repeated in the reviews is the poor battery life.
Not a bad choice, it just sacrifices thermals/build in favour of a slim chassis.

It's important to first outline a primary application (eg. gaming) and then prioritize either portability or performance. There are better options available in either case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks