Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 21:33   #6016
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchris25 View Post
Need some help in increasing the speed of my laptop...
The system is primarily used for online classes. Sometimes the system gets stuck in the middle of the online class.
Details of the laptop:
1. Inspiron 15 5558, i3 4th Gen / 4GB RAM / 500 GB HDD / Win 8.1 / 2GB Nvidia
Since your primary use case is just online classes, a simple 4GB RAM upgrade along with an 256GB SSD should be more than sufficient for your daily needs. The cost of this upgrade should less than 5K.
tj123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2021, 20:58   #6017

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Since your primary use case is just online classes, a simple 4GB RAM upgrade along with an 256GB SSD should be more than sufficient for your daily needs. The cost of this upgrade should less than 5K.
Thanks a lot. Will look into this option.
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:51   #6018
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. Will look into this option.
You could try installing Windows 10 and then debloating.
Read the instructions carefully and proceed with caution :
https://christitus.com/
If you debloat without reading and understanding what you are removing, you may end up removing some essential features.
Good luck!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 16:05   #6019

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Need some help in increasing the speed of my laptop. I have gone through some of the latest posts and have installed CPU-Z and sharing the screen shots so that I can get help. Basic issue is the system is very slow. Even a right click for refresh takes 2-3 seconds.

The system is primarily used for online classes. Sometimes the system gets stuck in the middle of the online class.

Details of the laptop:

1. Inspiron 15 5558, i3 4th Gen / 4GB RAM / 500 GB HDD / Win 8.1 / 2GB Nvidia

2. Bought on Jan -2016

I have attached the screenshots of the CPU-Z as a Zip file.

Kindly help.
Ummm. I've had a Sony VAIO E-series(VPECEA45FG for the specific model) that is very similar to your laptop except it had a 256GB HDD and a 512 ATI GPU.

It never had troubles running Windows 10 nor was it slow, for general use cases. It was quite snappy and responsive for a machine that old. It had a 1st gen Core I3 CPU and originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed.

Turn on the laptop and let it idle for an hour or so, do not let it sleep or hibernate. It being plugged in is okay.

Open task manager, click on advanced/more button and see what is actually using up your CPU/RAM/Storage. In most cases system freezes/lockups happen because of some process or app using more storage bandwith or RAM than needed.

My suggestion before you spend cash on upgrades would be to backup then format the HDD and re-install Windows from scratch.

And the regular advice I give people -
  • An additional anti-virus app is a nice addon, but not necessarily needed. Windows Defender is pretty good at what it does.
  • Ensure your HDD is not filled to the brim.
  • Disable unneded startup apps and completely uninstall ones you don't need.

Online classes don't require much RAM and 4GB is ok for now. If you need to future proof the machine though, add another 4GB of RAM and swap the HDD for a SSD like others said.
MatteBlack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 20:40   #6020
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post

Ryzen 4000 variants of the Thinkpad have just launched; an incredible deal for the latest 6-core CPU. They're not likely to remain in stock for long, nor at the same price. Integrated Radeon graphics are very competent, should handle basic CAD work without issue.
Just placed an Amazon Order for this Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Ryzen 5 4500 Model, to replace my 5 Yr. old HP i3 Laptop. After mediocre experiences with my previous 2 HP Laptops in regards to performance and build quality, wanted to try another manufacturer. Was thinking about Dell / Asus with Intel Mid-range Processor. Then came across these posts, which led me to this Lenovo Model. Honestly, I have no prior experience with Lenovo or Thinkpad's. Ordered this Laptop just on the basis of trust of T-Bhp Community. Hopefully this stays reliable with no niggles and serves me well in the long run.
Old 4th January 2021, 08:15   #6021

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
You could try installing Windows 10 and then debloating.
Read the instructions carefully and proceed with caution :
https://christitus.com/
If you debloat without reading and understanding what you are removing, you may end up removing some essential features.
Good luck!
Thanks mvadg for this info. I went through the link but I think since I am not that tech savvy I need to take help while uninstalling Win 8.1, taking backup and reinstalling Win 10. I dont think I will be able to do this immediately but will have to look into this at a later point in time. But thanks a lot for your time and for giving this info.
nchris25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 08:35   #6022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Just placed an Amazon Order for this Lenovo Thinkpad E14 Ryzen 5 4500 Model, to replace my 5 Yr. old HP i3 Laptop. After mediocre experiences with my previous 2 HP Laptops in regards to performance and build quality, wanted to try another manufacturer. Was thinking about Dell / Asus with Intel Mid-range Processor. Then came across these posts, which led me to this Lenovo Model. Honestly, I have no prior experience with Lenovo or Thinkpad's. Ordered this Laptop just on the basis of trust of T-Bhp Community. Hopefully this stays reliable with no niggles and serves me well in the long run.
In my 16 years experience of using laptops, Lenovo/ThinkPad had the least reliability. It was a X220 touch screen version purchased in 2012. I had to change the screen once, keyboard twice, adapter twice and finally the corner of display broke when i accidentally pressed on screen. This is during a 3 year usage. I moved to Dell xps 13 4k with touch in 2015 , only had to change its battery. It travelled with me all over the word. I am still using it.
castiel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 08:46   #6023

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteBlack View Post
Ummm. I've had a Sony VAIO E-series(VPECEA45FG for the specific model) that is very similar to your laptop except it had a 256GB HDD and a 512 ATI GPU.

It never had troubles running Windows 10 nor was it slow, for general use cases. It was quite snappy and responsive for a machine that old. It had a 1st gen Core I3 CPU and originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed.

Turn on the laptop and let it idle for an hour or so, do not let it sleep or hibernate. It being plugged in is okay.

Open task manager, click on advanced/more button and see what is actually using up your CPU/RAM/Storage. In most cases system freezes/lockups happen because of some process or app using more storage bandwith or RAM than needed.

My suggestion before you spend cash on upgrades would be to backup then format the HDD and re-install Windows from scratch.
Thanks a lot MatteBlack for the suggestions. I will look into the task Manager to find out the tasks which are taking more RAM usage.

Regarding the backup of Win 8.1 and reinstalling I need to take help, hence will consider it at a later point of time.

Regarding the list:
1. I had a McAfee antivirus for two years and I have not renewed it this year and am using the Windows Defender. But I think I did not see any difference in speed when the antivirus was installed versus now when it is not.
2. Regarding the storage I have two drives: C Drive - 100 GB free out of 163 GB , E Drive - 177 GB free out of 292 GB.
3. I will look into the startup programs and will uninstall those which are not required.

Once again thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th January 2021 at 08:52. Reason: Quoted post trimmed
Old 4th January 2021, 11:06   #6024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by castiel View Post
In my 16 years experience of using laptops, Lenovo/ThinkPad had the least reliability. It was a X220 touch screen version purchased in 2012. I had to change the screen once, keyboard twice, adapter twice and finally the corner of display broke when i accidentally pressed on screen. This is during a 3 year usage. I moved to Dell xps 13 4k with touch in 2015 , only had to change its battery. It travelled with me all over the word. I am still using it.
Well, that does not inspire a lot of confidence. I did do a bit of reading and research and Reviews for ThinkPad Series seem to be decent and good. Not so much for IdeaPad or other series. That being said, I Hope for the Best.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:27   #6025
BHPian

Yes, I bought my top of the line Thinkpad expecting the same. It was purchased from lenovo USA. Hope you have better luck with yours.
Old 4th January 2021, 11:33   #6026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Hopefully this stays reliable with no niggles and serves me well in the long run.
Anecdotes aside, Thinkpads are some of the most reliable laptops one can get. This is based on sample sizes extending into the thousands for company/IT orders as well as comparing across the market.

That said, you can end up with a lemon regardless of make/manufacturer. So long as you thoroughly test your purchase during the return window, I can't see you going wrong with the choice.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 14:24   #6027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Thinkpads are some of the most reliable laptops one can get.
Absolutely, have been using Thinkpads since 2006 (R, T series) both in office and home.

Never faced any issues.

They are one of the most sturdiest, reliable and refined machines.
metropolis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 14:37   #6028
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the list:
1. I had a McAfee antivirus for two years and I have not renewed it this year and am using the Windows Defender. But I think I did not see any difference in speed when the antivirus was installed versus now when it is not...
I suspect you have the Microsoft antivirus as well as the McAfee antivirus running. Microsoft Defender is good enough, and free. You should remove McAfee av. Even if you have not renewed it, it is likely running in the background (not doing you any good with ancient malware signatures) and slowing your system.
McAfee can be quite persistent and difficult to uninstall, use their tool (MCPR - McAfee consumer products remover tool). Download it from their site:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/...tches/MCPR.exe
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 13:14   #6029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I think it should snap back into place if you use some force. I dont think any component would have come loose and be blocking the gap. I would just use some more force to snap it back into place. Alternately any local service center will do it for you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
You might risk your job if you take it to an external service center.

My suggestion would be to speak with your IT folks and get the laptop replaced ASAP. Check your company's laptop replacement policy, but regardless of that, they most likely will be willing to accommodate a replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Does your laptop have an internal battery or is it a removable one?

If its an internal battery, I am willing to put to bet that the battery has swollen up and popped open your laptop.

Ask me how I know

Have done more than my share of laptop repairs (on my own machines) so PM me and I should be able to help you with this.

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/I...y/td-p/6057193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheWanderer View Post
Is that a Latitude 54XX series laptop? I have the Latitude 5480 and had the exact issue some time back.

Initially, I didn't realize the battery had swollen up and ended up using the laptop like this for 5 - 6 months. Finally I realized what happened and asked my IT team for a replacement battery.

Unfortunately, the replacement battery took more than a month to arrive. I don't know if Dell was waiting for spares from China or there was a delay within India itself due to the ongoing pandemic.

Replacing the battery was a quick DIY job though - the instructions on Dell's website are good enough.
Thanks everyone for your inputs. I raised a ticket with the IT folks last weekend and battery was replaced today. It was a 10 min job replacing the battery.
rajivr1612 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2021, 17:32   #6030
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I was not sure whether this question belonged in the monitor or laptop threads, but I decided to ask it here:

I have this laptop: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This external monitor:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this USB-C hub:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The laptop specs clearly mention that the USB-C port supports DisplayPort 1.4, and there is a DisplayPort logo next to the port.

However, I am unable to use the above mentioned Honeywell Hub to connect my monitor to the laptop. The monitor simply shows 'No signal detected' when I plug it in. No external monitor shows up in Device Manager when connected through the hub.

The same HDMI cable works fine when I plug it into the laptop's HDMI port, so that cable is not the problem.

I have tested several other ports on the hub (both USB-A, the card readers and the LAN port, and they all work, suggesting that the supplied USB-C cable is OK.

I have spent about 6 hours searching on the net for possible fixes, with absolutely no luck. My OS (Windows 10) and BIOS are fully up to date.

Could someone suggest ways to trouble shoot whether the problem is with my laptop, the hub or software related? I can return the hub to Amazon if necessary, but I would like to keep it if possible, since it is a nicely built piece and has all the ports I need.

This is what Device Manager shows with the hub NOT plugged in:
Name:  Without Hub plugged in.png
Views: 387
Size:  69.2 KB

This is what is shown WITH the hub plugged in, with the additional USB devices highlighted:
Name:  With Hub plugged in.png
Views: 377
Size:  105.4 KB

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Last edited by RadixLecti : 5th January 2021 at 17:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks