Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2020, 23:49   #5941
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Could you share some more details about your workload?

Thankfully, the Precision series has mostly been immune ...

Recommending a Macbook is also a bit tricky at the moment; with the move to ARM, its not entirely clear what the next couple of years hold. ....
Firstly, thank you for your comments.

Without going too much into specifics, I need good CPU performance for some data science/analysis stuff (most large jobs are run on cloud, but it is handy to have performance available locally for experiments). Also, I find the high-res screen and the associated information density of MBP to be very useful. As things stand today, integrated graphics are lackluster in rendering to 4k displays hence the need for decent discrete graphics. Apple's M1 is raising the bar on integrated graphics performance, but has other limitations (max memory limited to 16G, which makes it unattractive) and isn't available in 15"-16" size.

Digressing a bit, I'm glad to see the single-thread CPU benchmark numbers on M1 - finally something to shake things up a bit and hope team red and blue don't take it lying down.

It would have been ideal to wait a while and see how things evolve for the larger MBPs, but the imminent death of this machine doesn't allow me that luxury. Since this is my bread-earner machine, can't afford a downtime and can't risk third party repair either. So right now, it is just a choice between two shortlisted machines - Precision 5550 or MBP. Glad to know that precision series is generally okay. Will decide soon and hope that the new one arrives before this one gives up.

Last edited by Su-47 : 18th November 2020 at 23:53.
Old 19th November 2020, 00:35   #5942
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Hi,
I am in the market for a Monitor, preferably 27", Any leads? what brand is good for monitors? Budget is max 15k.

Also, how are curved monitors for work? I know curved screen is good for watching movies etc, but is it comfortable to work on curved monitor for more than 9 hours daily.
I am using a 27-inch Samsung monitor for the last few months, mostly for reading long documents, and the occassional browsing. Got it from the local marketplace for around 12k. Haven't had any issues using it for long hours.

I also connect it to the Jio Fiber set top box occassionally and really enjoy the clarity. It doesn't have in-built speakers, but you can attach it to external ones with an AUX cable.
sanmish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 01:00   #5943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

Without going too much into specifics, I need good CPU performance for some data science/analysis stuff (most large jobs are run on cloud, but it is handy to have performance available locally for experiments). Also, I find the high-res screen and the associated information density of MBP to be very useful. As things stand today, integrated graphics are lackluster in rendering to 4k displays hence the need for decent discrete graphics. Apple's M1 is raising the bar on integrated graphics performance, but has other limitations (max memory limited to 16G, which makes it unattractive) and isn't available in 15"-16" size.

You're most welcome

The GPU is probably the weakest link of the new M1 chips. It is obviously a lot better than current integrated offerings but doesn't quite match up to the discrete ones. Agreed on the memory front, 16GB is a serious limitation for many workloads.

Most data/ML tasks can also be GPU accelerated these days. The 5550 only goes up to a Quadro T2000 whereas the Thinkpad mobile workstations are specced with the higher-end RTX cards. Overall reliability/durability is also a factor and they should definitely be on the shortlist (unless you have your heart set on the Precision).

Where/when do you plan on making your purchase? I could recommend an exact model based on whether your decide to go PC or Mac.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd November 2020 at 21:09. Reason: Trimmed quote
Old 22nd November 2020, 20:03   #5944
BHPian

Quote:
Most data/ML tasks can also be GPU accelerated these days. The 5550 only goes up to a Quadro T2000 whereas the Thinkpad mobile workstations are specced with the higher-end RTX cards. Overall reliability/durability is also a factor
Good point, but then we have a longish relationship with Dell and you know what they say about known devils :-). I think I'm okay with Quadro T2000 level of performance and I'm liking the portability/performance mix of 5550.

I do have some questions about a monitor - will post in the appropriate thread and hope to hear your valuable comments there as well. Thanks!
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 22:44   #5945
BHPian

Team, i am in an unfortunate situation today.
As part of work from home I have the company provided laptop - Dell Latitude.
Presently I am in my hometown. So today I was traveling from my place to my wife's place. I packed the laptop in the laptop bag, stuffed some clothes in at the top empty section of the bag and then placed it on the floor ahead of the front seat in the upright position.
Now, when I reach home and take out the laptop, I see the below as seen in snap. Only the front part has popped open. The sides are ok. I tried to press and snap it back lightly once, but to no avail. Didn't try again as I don't want to break any internals. I understand it has to be due to the tightly packed bag, the laptop is running fine as of now. If I take it to a Dell service center, my company will not take it lightly. What do you guys think? Is the damage superficial or deep?
Attached Thumbnails
The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20201122_222837540.jpg  

The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions-img_20201122_222850787.jpg  

Last edited by rajivr1612 : 22nd November 2020 at 22:47.
Old 23rd November 2020, 00:44   #5946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Is the damage superficial or deep?
I think it should snap back into place if you use some force. I dont think any component would have come loose and be blocking the gap. I would just use some more force to snap it back into place. Alternately any local service center will do it for you too.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 03:08   #5947
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post

Digressing a bit, I'm glad to see the single-thread CPU benchmark numbers on M1 - finally something to shake things up a bit and hope team red and blue don't take it lying down.

It would have been ideal to wait a while and see how things evolve for the larger MBPs, but the imminent death of this machine doesn't allow me that luxury. Since this is my bread-earner machine, can't afford a downtime and can't risk third party repair either. So right now, it is just a choice between two shortlisted machines - Precision 5550 or MBP. Glad to know that precision series is generally okay. Will decide soon and hope that the new one arrives before this one gives up.
There are plenty of video's on youtube now where even the performance of base MacBook Air with "only" 8 gigs of RAM is quite frankly off the charts. A fanless laptop with 8gb of RAM should not be able to do what it does. Apple here has 14 day return policy no questions asked. Could you not get it and run your workloads and see if it meets your requirements? I am thinking 16GB 13inch MacBook Pro would be enough for most workloads.

To put it in perspective this is what someone wrote on twitter - "Imagine if Apple launched a new MacBook Air at the same $999 starting price that came with a Core i7 10750H and RX 560 graphics, but they did it without a fan and added 6 hours more battery life. That’s basically what they did.". I would add 20 hour battery life to it and the combination of portable performance plus longevity is truly transformative.
Old 27th November 2020, 07:53   #5948
BHPian

Hi all,

What are the good laptop options for 16GB i7 or AMD Equivalent with min 256 SSD primarily for Content creation , photoshop and MS Office. More than 8 hours battery backup preferable. I want the new Macbook pro. But my team is keen only on the Windows options.

Any Black Friday Deals in India?
Old 27th November 2020, 18:42   #5949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Hi all,

What are the good laptop options for 16GB i7 or AMD Equivalent with min 256 SSD primarily for Content creation , photoshop and MS Office. More than 8 hours battery backup preferable. I want the new Macbook pro. But my team is keen only on the Windows options.

Any Black Friday Deals in India?
Content creation is usually going to require something with high-power H parts. You will struggle to get anywhere close to an 8 hour backup regardless of manufacturer claims. Do you have any specific portability requirements? Please also specify a budget.

Black friday isn't really a thing locally but prices have atleast stabilized somewhat after a small post-diwali spike.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:25   #5950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
If I take it to a Dell service center, my company will not take it lightly. What do you guys think? Is the damage superficial or deep?
You might risk your job if you take it to an external service center.

My suggestion would be to speak with your IT folks and get the laptop replaced ASAP. Check your company's laptop replacement policy, but regardless of that, they most likely will be willing to accommodate a replacement.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 05:26   #5951
BHPian

Quote:
Content creation is usually going to require something with high-power H parts. You will struggle to get anywhere close to an 8 hour backup regardless of manufacturer claims. Do you have any specific portability requirements? Please also specify a budget.
Amien, an update on the requirement. Portability seems to be the key. Detachable keyboard is the primary choice. Else the laptop needs to be a 2 in1.

Preferred model is the Surface Pro 7 with i7. But that is priced exorbitantly. Any alternatives

Last edited by indian21r : 29th November 2020 at 05:35.
Old 29th November 2020, 06:16   #5952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Amien, an update on the requirement. Portability seems to be the key. Detachable keyboard is the primary choice. Else the laptop needs to be a 2 in1.

Preferred model is the Surface Pro 7 with i7. But that is priced exorbitantly. Any alternatives
Surface products have non-existent support in India anyway. My recommendation is for the HP Envy x360 .

The 4500U is better than any power-eqvivalent i7. You also don't need any more RAM for the intended use-case.

Last edited by Amien : 29th November 2020 at 06:20. Reason: added text
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2020, 07:46   #5953
BHPian

Quote:
Surface products have non-existent support in India anyway. My recommendation is for the HP Envy x360 .

The 4500U is better than any power-eqvivalent i7. You also don't need any more RAM for the intended use-case.
Even that was coming in my searches. And reviews seem to rate it good too. I will check local availability and close the deal. Surface portability seems better with the detachable option. But the specs are too ordinary for the price
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:52   #5954
BHPian

Hello experts,

Looking for a budget laptop within 40k with the following parameters:
1. Decent processor i3 /i5.
2. 4 GB RAM expandable (additional slot would be preferred).
3. 256 GB SSD and 500 GB HDD.
4. Battery upto 9-11 hrs (important).
5. Thin and light weight (very important).
6. Keyboard lit.
7. Windows preinstalled with office (lifetime validity).
8. 13-14 inch screen only.

How is Lenovo Thinkpad E14? Though it doesn't come with some of the above options. My experience with Thinkpad has been fairly good since a decade.

Should I go for a used Macbook 13 instead? If yes, then how old?

Thanks.
Old 5th December 2020, 08:26   #5955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropolis View Post
5. Thin and light weight (very important).

How is Lenovo Thinkpad E14?
The Thinkpad is a safe option but if thin and light are truly important, you will need to sacrifice some of your other critieria to gain it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks